thinking of moving downtown

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
brian89gp
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

thinking of moving downtown

Post by brian89gp »

I've been contemplating moving downtown for a while now, my current lease is up in 2 months so I need to make a choice soon.  I was hoping that some members on the board here could help me with a couple questions.  Before I got a job downtown a year ago I never came here and only recently have I done anything else then a dash in dash out for work, so my knowledge of the area is lacking.

I'm looking for a sub 600-700 $ place to rent, preferably a loft but an apartment will work too.  I work on 12th & Walnut so I would like to stay within somewhat close proximity of that.  Also, I make enough that I DO NOT qualify for any income restriction or assistance based housing.  Are there any good places to check out, any places to avoid?

How are utilities handled?  Is it a flat monthly fee or do they measure actual usage?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: thinking of moving downtown

Post by loftguy »

brian89gp wrote: I've been contemplating moving downtown for a while now, my current lease is up in 2 months so I need to make a choice soon.  I was hoping that some members on the board here could help me with a couple questions.  Before I got a job downtown a year ago I never came here and only recently have I done anything else then a dash in dash out for work, so my knowledge of the area is lacking.

I'm looking for a sub 600-700 $ place to rent, preferably a loft but an apartment will work too.  I work on 12th & Walnut so I would like to stay within somewhat close proximity of that.  Also, I make enough that I DO NOT qualify for any income restriction or assistance based housing.  Are there any good places to check out, any places to avoid?

How are utilities handled?  Is it a flat monthly fee or do they measure actual usage?
There will be a limited number of loft options in this price range without qualifying for low to moderate developments ($29,000 reported income last year).  Mallin/Gibson Properties at 471.6789, or De Lofts at 842.5800 occasionally have some units in the RiverMarket in that price range.  I believe that each of these developers provide utilities that are separately metered and billed directly to you.

In apartments, one of the best deals is still Quality Hill Towers at 471.7312, or JK properties at 421.4343 occasionally has some affordable, cool apts.

Good luck to you..........
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

You might check out Craigs list.  My neighbor at WST just rented out his second room for 700 including all ulitities.  If you don't just want to rent a room, I also have a buddy living at the Clubhouse lofts in a 700 sq ft loft and I think that he pays around 700.  If you look hard enough, you should be able to find something.  Lastly, check out KC-Lofts under the property section as a starting point.  Good luck

http://www.kc-lofts.com/bldgs.htm
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

don't forget to estimate the cost of your commute and add that to your rent allowance! craigslist is a good choice. i know that people put their condos for rent on there all the time instead of selling them. a very inexpensive option is quality hill towers... not the nicest place, but across the street from park and it's still very inexpensive. you might also consider renting in midtown near the max line to save on rent.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Ditto on Craigs List.

You could also get a roommate.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
brian89gp
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brian89gp »

No go on the roommate, currently have one and I don't wish to continue that lifestyle.  Thanks for the recommendations so far, I will be sure to check into those

I have it narrowed down between a apartment with a real garage in Shawnee for $625 + utilities + $200/month in gas or a place downtown.

Over in the Quality Hill neighborhood, what is the safety/noise like?  The the number of bars on Broadway makes me concerned about overly loud street noise on Friday/Saturday. 

Also, any motorcycle owners?  Is there any secured area to park one of these or is a storage unit a good idea?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

brian89gp wrote: Over in the Quality Hill neighborhood, what is the safety/noise like?  The the number of bars on Broadway makes me concerned about overly loud street noise on Friday/Saturday. 
I lived in Quality Hill for over three years, and never once felt unsafe. Also, I loved right around the corner from the Quaff and Tanner's, and never had any trouble with noise. My roommate often had difficultly with the noise of the cathedral chimes though.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I'm guessing you should be able to find something somewhere downtown.  Downtown's nice because you can walk to stuff (including work) and you have great access to the rest of the metro.  I think the location is ideal.  Here's a rental web site I found:

http://www.kcpremierapts.com/

There are probably more rental web sites out there.  Good luck!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

you can hear a pin drop in quality hill 7 nights a week. my best friend lives there now (QH Towers) and my b/f lived there for years (The Chimes) before buying a condo.
Alex
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Alex »

I live in the QH apartments along 10th street and I love it. I've been there since January and I was a little concerned about noise from the drunks stumbling to there cars at night and haven't ever had a problem.

Good Luck
-Alex
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The only thing I ever had a problem with when I lived in the Opera House was drunk Broncos fans after the game. They were screaming and generally being completely obnoxious, kicking parked cars trying to set off car alarms, etc. But overall the drunks were quiet enough.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

nothing a loaded BB gun pointed below the waist can't correct, eh?  :lol:

but seriously, the further from 10th and broadway you get the quieter it is. i don't think it's a coincidence that the quaff and tanner's (cough, cough) are right where the noise is generated.

one other note: my friend in QH towers refers to the "sunday shuffle" of homeless people who collect their free meals and then head across town to case park to dine... not sure if that's still a regular thing. not something to be afraid of, just something to be aware of.
Last edited by DaveKCMO on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

brian89gp wrote: No go on the roommate, currently have one and I don't wish to continue that lifestyle.  Thanks for the recommendations so far, I will be sure to check into those

I have it narrowed down between a apartment with a real garage in Shawnee for $625 + utilities + $200/month in gas or a place downtown.

Over in the Quality Hill neighborhood, what is the safety/noise like?  The the number of bars on Broadway makes me concerned about overly loud street noise on Friday/Saturday. 

Also, any motorcycle owners?  Is there any secured area to park one of these or is a storage unit a good idea?
Quality Hill Towers is alright, if you don't happen to have children or are female. One of the largest blocks of sexual predators listed in the city live up that way.

Quality Hill proper is pretty nice. I lived on Pennsylvania for a year, right across from the rehabbed building.

The Quality Hill townhomes are pretty sweet, too but are a bit pricey (unless you work for DST, and you get a small discount to your rent).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

if you're willing to live a bit farther from work, i recommend looking at rentals in midtown and even near the plaza.  you can get nice units for under $600 in desirable locations.  i currently pay $600 for a studio loft in the garment district and i feel like i REALLY lucked out (found it on craigslist).  there just isn't that much nice stuff downtown at the sub-700 or 800 price point.  i'd rather live in a nicer place a 4 minute drive away.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

http://www.kcloftcentral.com/librarylofts.html

Good entry level apartments.  Studios are not too bad and can be had for under $600.  (They will also pay for garage parking for your first year)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

49r wrote: Studios are not too bad...
downsizing is very liberating, btw. i went from a 2BR ranch with a garage and a full basement to a 1BR loft with a storage locker. few people really need to schlep around that much crap for their whole life.
brian89gp
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brian89gp »

DaveKCMO wrote: downsizing is very liberating, btw. i went from a 2BR ranch with a garage and a full basement to a 1BR loft with a storage locker. few people really need to schlep around that much crap for their whole life.
I agree, I have been getting rid of a lot of "stuff" I have collected over the past couple years.  My only difference from probably most of the people here is I have a pretty strong interest in motorcycles, on road, off road, and road racing (race tracks).  I always own at least one bike and it sometimes varies up to 3-4 depending on market forces and boredom.  Unfortunately that is one thing that the suburban lifestyle has that an urban one does not, a garage.  If it weren't for that interest, the urban lifestyle would be a no-brainer.  I absolutely hate suburban life, country or urban and nothing in between.

Does anybody that lives an urban lifestyle have the same affliction as me (motorcycle)?

There are probably 3 places I am going to look at: 909 Walnut, Clubhouse Lofts, and Library Lofts.  I think that the loft style is pretty nice but more of a nostalgic feeling, I really prefer modern styling which knocks out a lot of the rehab loft buildings I have found.  What is the going concensus for these 3 places?  Noise levels, building quality, etc?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

brian89gp wrote: I agree, I have been getting rid of a lot of "stuff" I have collected over the past couple years.  My only difference from probably most of the people here is I have a pretty strong interest in motorcycles, on road, off road, and road racing (race tracks).  I always own at least one bike and it sometimes varies up to 3-4 depending on market forces and boredom.  Unfortunately that is one thing that the suburban lifestyle has that an urban one does not, a garage.  If it weren't for that interest, the urban lifestyle would be a no-brainer.  I absolutely hate suburban life, country or urban and nothing in between.

Does anybody that lives an urban lifestyle have the same affliction as me (motorcycle)?

There are probably 3 places I am going to look at: 909 Walnut, Clubhouse Lofts, and Library Lofts.  I think that the loft style is pretty nice but more of a nostalgic feeling, I really prefer modern styling which knocks out a lot of the rehab loft buildings I have found.  What is the going concensus for these 3 places?  Noise levels, building quality, etc?

Bridgeworks Phase II in the River Market will be town homes and I'm pretty sure they'll have a garage in each unit.

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php/topic,2053.60.html
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Bridgeworks Phase II in the River Market will be town homes and I'm pretty sure they'll have a garage in each unit.

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php/topic,2053.60.html
Yes, but they're not rentals.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

brian89gp wrote: I agree, I have been getting rid of a lot of "stuff" I have collected over the past couple years.  My only difference from probably most of the people here is I have a pretty strong interest in motorcycles, on road, off road, and road racing (race tracks).  I always own at least one bike and it sometimes varies up to 3-4 depending on market forces and boredom.  Unfortunately that is one thing that the suburban lifestyle has that an urban one does not, a garage.  If it weren't for that interest, the urban lifestyle would be a no-brainer.  I absolutely hate suburban life, country or urban and nothing in between.

A friend of mine rents garage space in a warehouse in the west bottoms where a lot of other gear heads rent space. A great place where they work on their hot rods and motorcycles. If you're interested I'll try to get some info from him.