Souperman

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Souperman

Post by chrizow »

not to mention that the writer mentions how she got a space on the street directly in front of Souperman. 

also, the angled parking spaces on Baltimore a 20-second walk away, are ALWAYS open at lunch.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

I spied an outdoor cafe permit inside Souperman yesterday morning -- so I'm assuming you'll be able to eat outside soon.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the star reported yesterday that souperman has added "seven new sandittos, more salads, new soups and frozen yogurt."
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wow, Rob from Souperman must have a direct line to the Star...the Star seems to report his every move! 

(and i'm glad they do, i love 1924 and Souperman and i'm sure i'll love Pizza Bella)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: wow, Rob from Souperman must have a direct line to the Star...the Star seems to report his every move!
i'm sure it helps that the star is in the same neighborhood.
Alex
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Alex »

I don't know if Rob is still lurking around this thread, but are there any plans to expand the hours? I've eaten there a few times on lunch breaks from work (awesome by the way) and would love to take my girlfriend, but she works near JCCC so it's virtually impossible.

And Rob - Dan and Bridgette have made it so there are several cubicles here sporting Souperman flyers! You need to give them some more of that crazy yogurt, so I can score a few spoonfulls!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Alex wrote: I don't know if Rob is still lurking around this thread, but are there any plans to expand the hours? I've eaten there a few times on lunch breaks from work (awesome by the way) and would love to take my girlfriend, but she works near JCCC so it's virtually impossible.
Amen.  I was able to eat there once on a vacation day and really enjoyed it, but without expanded hours . . .
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i have more and more empathy for business owners that balk at evening or weekend hours downtown. the more full days i spend down here the more dramatic the difference is between the workday and off-hours (especially the xroads!). and i do make a point to support the places that are open later, but they hardly have any customers! my only take on this is that a lot of people living downtown still think there's nothing to do when the sun sets (except the obvious haunts like tanner's and john's) that they go to westport and the plaza. hopefully P+L will cure this. maybe i'm overreacting, but i don't understand how all of these residential projects can generate so little after-hours activity. is it a chicken or egg thing?
Alex
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Alex »

Dave, I agree wholeheartidly, when I moved downtown at the beginning of the year I was a little bummed that after 6:30 or so, it turns into a ghosttown for the most part. I'm sure a lot of people have different opinions on the KCP&LD, but I have pretty high hopes that it will give other businesses (like souperman), the opportunity to stay open later and still make money.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Alex wrote: Dave, I agree wholeheartidly, when I moved downtown at the beginning of the year I was a little bummed that after 6:30 or so, it turns into a ghosttown for the most part. I'm sure a lot of people have different opinions on the KCP&LD, but I have pretty high hopes that it will give other businesses (like souperman), the opportunity to stay open later and still make money.

We do a lot of walking in the evening and I am still rather amazed at how few other residents you see out on the sidewalks.  Is DT attracting a bunch of hermits?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Alex and Dave make a good point. Once the P&L district is up and running, and the arena is active, then there will be a dramatic increase in both pedestrian and vehicular traffic.  The smaller businesses around the district and in the crossroads should look at this as an opportunity to pull in people who are passing by, or those looking for something with more local flavor.  Souperman and MAC could do some great after 5pm activity if the garage is open for parking in the evening.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you don't see a lot of residential foot traffic I'm guessing in part because lots of people STILL will drive to different areas of downtown...it's just easier with all the parking.

You guys think there is no foot traffic now, should have been living down here about 4 years ago.  That makes present day look like NYC.  Truth be told, most city's downtowns aren't that busy after 5pm w/ foot traffic...unless there is a special event.  At least from what I've experienced.

Businesses find it hard to stay open later at first....but if they stick it out, they will find they are supported...reference Mango Room and Cupini's....stuck out the late hours and I believe they are being paid back now.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

How long until SoupMan comes to town? It'd be clever if the Souperman people start opening multiple locations around the metro to stave off this threat.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: How long until SoupMan comes to town? It'd be clever if the Souperman people start opening multiple locations around the metro to stave off this threat.
is that the guy that the seinfeld episode is based on?
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Definitely try the West African Peanut Chicken soup, it's delicious.  I used to eat the dish that is its inspiration, Mafé, daily in Senegal/Mauritania and the soup is a fairly close, slightly better even, version.
Last edited by Gretz on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Souperman is kickin in stride still.  Went yesterday and took a guy from Brooklyn.  I haven't been in a while but we both in a zone.  Had chipotle chicken sanditto and tomato bisque, very tasty.  He loved his.

Went again today with another from work and did the chicken curry sanditto with thai coconut soup.  Tastius maximus.

This place deserves your attention again if it's been a while.

Freaked out very very badly, freaked out on acid, I'm the white rabbit...
http://songza.com/z/zyljkp