Opal's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Opal's

Post by tat2kc »

For those of you who have not been yet, please check out Opal's. Its on southwest blvd., in the building where molly maquire's used to be. Its the 400 or 500 block. (it just east of 1-35 overpass). This restaurant is owned by the former owners of the Cabaret. Their biggie is pan fried chicken served family style, like Stroud's. They also have baked chicken, sandwiches, burgers and such. The food is excellent, and the wait staff very nice. The prices are reasonable. I've been 3 or 4 times for lunch and dinner. Lunch is fairly quiet, but dinner can be pretty crowded. Check it out! Lots of families and couples, everyone really nice and friendly.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Opal's

Post by DiggityDawg »

I'm dying to try this place...it got pretty much a rave review in the Pitch a few weeks ago, & it's nice to have a "home cookin" type joint in that part of town.

Off the top of your head, you do remember if they take credit cards?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Opal's

Post by tat2kc »

yep, they take credit cards.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Opal's

Post by DiggityDawg »

You just made it WAY too easy for me to gain another 5-10 pounds. :D
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Opal's

Post by DiggityDawg »

I finally got around to trying this place for lunch today...really, really good home cookin' type stuff. I got the fried chicken lunch special - great food, & they give you a lot for your money. Highly recommended.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Opal's

Post by mean »

I will definitely have to check it out.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Opal's

Post by DiggityDawg »

Update : went there again on Monday, & it was top notch the 2nd time as well. The Mrs. got the chicken fried steak sammich - that damn thing was the size of her face . She'll end up getting 3 meals outta that one sammich.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Opal's

Post by KCPowercat »

we went tonight and while the food was good, be prepared to wait. One group left after waiting an hour (so they stated loudly). I think the problem was a large group was holding up the kitchen....anyways, really good stuff, but they are really pan frying it so it does take a bit.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Opal's

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:we went tonight and while the food was good, be prepared to wait. One group left after waiting an hour (so they stated loudly). I think the problem was a large group was holding up the kitchen....anyways, really good stuff, but they are really pan frying it so it does take a bit.
Guess it depends on when you go. Four of us went there two Saturdays ago and received our order rather quickly. The chicken's definitely up there with Stroud's...but I'm still a Popeye's man myself. :wink:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Opal's

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I think it was due to it getting around closing time for them and a huge tabe in front of us. I'll try it out again especially with the buy one get one free entree coupons they hand out like water.

I was hoping for more spice in the chicken.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Opal's

Post by DiggityDawg »

I just wanted to give this place a little more dap...we went for the 3rd time last nite ( used one of those "bogo" coupons, actually ) .

The food was great again, but I wanted to give special credit to the service at this place - they really are supernice & efficient. Even though we'd both ordered salad instead of the soup, our waiter brought us a nice sized bowl of the soup ( chicken corn chowder ) so we could "try" it anyway. It was a half hour before they closed, so I assume they were just gonna chuck it anyway - but it was still a nice gesture.

I got the chicken fried steak, which I will be continuing to plow thru via leftovers until Wednesday.