Lenexa CityCenter

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Lenexa CityCenter

Post by jsstuber »

Here is the City Centers web-site promoting the project.

http://www.citycenterlenexa.com/

No matter what negative things are said about the City Center, this project will be a sucess.  The location of the City Center is as good as it gets in JoCo.  435 is < 1/4 mile, I-35 < 2 miles, I-70 appx 6 miles, Lawrence is 20 minutes away and easy access to the airport. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

what negative things do you mean?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

Re: never happen
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 05:43:24 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: TheDude
never happen; developers do not have the $$ to pull this off; especially in a down market.  maybe 10 years from now when suburban sprawl finally moves west.

Not only that, although New Urbanism gets lots of lip service, are there any sales figures here or elsewhere that show that people are flocking to these developments? New Village at Prairie Haven is so vacant that it might as well be a movie set, so I'm guessing that most people aren't buying this vision.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

heh that's from 2003! 
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

Various people on this tread had a few negative things to say.  Maybe it was too early in the project, maybe they were mis-informed.  The entire project has too many great things going for it.  The golf course, location, the Plaza like feel, hotels, mix of free standing homes, townhomes, lofts, apartments, ability to live and work in the area, Shawnee Mission Park, etc.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

it certainly is a step in the right direction for the area.  Hopefully they'll release some more renderings and details for the present incarnation.  Not quite as cool as the original vision, but certainly better than most of the stuff being built in the burbs today.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

pardon my ignorance, but does this project have any relation to the actual downtown area of Lenexa?  or are they just building a new, fake downtown to have better proximity to the highways that killed the original downtown?
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

chrizow wrote: pardon my ignorance, but does this project have any relation to the actual downtown area of Lenexa?  or are they just building a new, fake downtown to have better proximity to the highways that killed the original downtown?
No relation to the present downtown.  The project will house City Hall, not sure about the police station?  Basically this project will help to spur the growth of Lenexa to the west.  I believe they envision that 1/2 the population of Lenexa will be west of the City Center and 1/2 to the east of it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Is Pflumm and Santa Fe Drive the historic downtown Lenexa? Because I stumbled upon that area the other day and its actually pretty cool for a suburb. It feels like you've stepped into a small town center in the 50s.

Of course, there's a sprawling industrial business park just to the south of it.  :?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

jsstuber wrote: the Plaza like feel...
almost a joke these days.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have seen detailed plans of this project.  The portions that will be built in the next five years will impress very few on this forum.  It's not even close to Zona Rosa now, let alone after their expansion.  Same with the project in Leawood.  That project makes the Lenexa project look silly.  This project is typical suburban sprawl, nothing special and nothing like the original renderings.

It might happen, but it's going to take a long time.  And for the love of god, enough with the "it's like the plaza"  no development in this city and few areas of the country will ever come close to the plaza's urbanity and charm.
Last edited by GRID on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

GRID wrote: I have seen detailed plans of this project.  The portions that will be built in the next five years will impress very few on this forum.  It's not even close to Zona Rosa now, let alone after their expansion.  Same with the project in Leawood.  That project makes the Lenexa project look silly.  This project is typical suburban sprawl, nothing special and nothing like the original renderings.
You may be referring to City Center East, which is on the east side of Renner Road. That part is entirely separate from the main City Center project (the part done by CWB, with the website above). City Center East is probably very much a suburban-style retail development. But the city of Lenexa has every intention of making the main portion, SW of 87th and Renner, just as dense as the pictures on the website.

EDIT: I'm not sure how old this image is, but if the actual City Center East project looks anything like this, it will be far from suburban-style.

jsstuber wrote: No relation to the present downtown.  The project will house City Hall, not sure about the police station?  Basically this project will help to spur the growth of Lenexa to the west.  I believe they envision that 1/2 the population of Lenexa will be west of the City Center and 1/2 to the east of it.
There'd be no reason for the city to build a new city hall and police station, as they just did so at 87th and Monrovia less than 10 years ago. I doubt that is actually the plan.
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

When I mention the Plaza like feel it in regard to the way the parking is set up.  There will be very little surface parking in the east village.  Although I think Zona Rosa is a nice area, the LCC will be totally different.  Alot more office space, apt, townhomes, lofts. 

http://www.lenexacitycenter.com/pdf/CCP ... ap0107.pdf
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

eliphar17 wrote: There'd be no reason for the city to build a new city hall and police station, as they just did so at 87th and Monrovia less than 10 years ago. I doubt that is actually the plan.
Yep, most likely, the only "civic" body present would be a relocation of the Chamber, EDC and CVB to the project.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

eliphar17 wrote: You may be referring to City Center East, which is on the east side of Renner Road. That part is entirely separate from the main City Center project (the part done by CWB, with the website above). City Center East is probably very much a suburban-style retail development. But the city of Lenexa has every intention of making the main portion, SW of 87th and Renner, just as dense as the pictures on the website.

EDIT: I'm not sure how old this image is, but if the actual City Center East project looks anything like this, it will be far from suburban-style.

There'd be no reason for the city to build a new city hall and police station, as they just did so at 87th and Monrovia less than 10 years ago. I doubt that is actually the plan.
Well, that's what's getting build.  The actual City Center is still an idea more than anything.
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

GRID wrote: I have seen detailed plans of this project.  The portions that will be built in the next five years will impress very few on this forum.  It's not even close to Zona Rosa now, let alone after their expansion.  Same with the project in Leawood.  That project makes the Lenexa project look silly.  This project is typical suburban sprawl, nothing special and nothing like the original renderings.

It might happen, but it's going to take a long time.  And for the love of god, enough with the "it's like the plaza"  no development in this city and few areas of the country will ever come close to the plaza's urbanity and charm.
How can you say that Zona Rosa makes the LCC look silly?  First it's yet to be built, second how many parking garages does Zona Rosa have...2?  That's suburban sprawl.  The LCC plan is calling from what I tell atleast 8.  This is not suburban sprawl, you will have 100's maybe a 1000+ people living and working within the 100+ acres of the project.  That's even the theme of the project "workweek , weekend, repeat"  
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

GRID wrote: Well, that's what's getting build.  The actual City Center is still an idea more than anything.
What are you talking about?  Have you not driven by what they are doing out there?  There are roads, utlities, etc already in place in the East Village.  The North Village will have roads and utlities within the next month or so. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

jsstuber wrote: What are you talking about?  Have you not driven by what they are doing out there?  There are roads, utlities, etc already in place in the East Village.  The North Village will have roads and utlities within the next month or so. 
Well, then I won't say anymore till I learn a bit more about the project.  I only know of the projects I have seen and since that is 50 miles from my house and on the other side the core (the part of town I follow closely), I honestly probably know little about it.  All I'm saying is the plans I have seen for it are pretty lame, just as most of the "new urbanism" plans that area suburbs are proposing.  Very few turn out anything like what original renderings look like.

So I'll leave it for you :)
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

GRID wrote: All I'm saying is the plans I have seen for it are pretty lame, just as most of the "new urbanism" plans that area suburbs are proposing. 
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but, what plans are you refering to?  I have sat down with some of the developers, I went to the presentation they gave at the Lenexa C of C luncheon.  And the plans that I have seen are far from lame.  I actually have copies of all the artist renderings for the East Village.