If you don't like traffic jams, better stay away from BS...

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I-70(bigtime), Woods Chapel, Route 7, Adams Dairy, US 40 all will have major construction projects going on in the next couple of years.

Add major eastern Independence jobs on 39th, US 40, Lee's Summit Rd etc and this side of town is going be a mess for a while.

Then through in massive construction projects like the new hospital, bass pro, coronado plaza etc. Should be fun.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

BTW, Sounds like Lee's Summit Road from 40 to Colbern has been put on a fast track to be upgraded to a 4 lane arterial. Jackson County is stepping up to the plate to get it done.

This is going to lead to incredible growth in the little blue valley district of KCMO.

Tired of tight traffic? Help is on the way
By James Dornbrook
The Examiner
Relief is on the way for some of the most congested portions of 39th Street in Independence. Construction projects are likely to begin in about a month.

The intersection of 39th Street and Lee's Summit Road will be the first target for improvement projects that will eventually touch all of 39th Street between Noland Road and the Little Blue River.

The 39th Street Transpor ta tion District will handle improvement projects east of Lee's Sum mit Road. The city will handle construction projects west of Lee's Summit Road.

The 39th Street TDD already purchased rights-of-way and finished design for improvements to the Lee's Summit Road and 39th Street intersection.

Bids are in, and the City Council will soon choose a contractor. Construction should begin at the end of April or early May.

Improvements include adding a right-turn lane for traffic on westbound 39th Street turning north onto Lee's Summit Road. A second left-turn lane will be added for traffic headed south from westbound 39th Street.

Two right-turn lanes will be constructed for northbound traffic on Lee's Summit Road turning east onto 39th Street. Eight houses were purchased to make way for these new turn lanes.

The contractor will be responsible for removing the homes. Anyone interested in the buildings will have to contact the contractor.

A traffic signal will be added at Milton Drive and 39th Street. Also, traffic calming devices will be put into the Carriage Hills and Milton Estates neighborhoods on George Franklin Drive and 40th Street.

Eric Bonner, executive director of the 39th Street TDD, said the city will have meetings for Carriage Hills and Milton Estates to inform the public about the impact on their neighborhoods.

A second phase, focused on 39th Street in front of Independence Center, is expected to start sometime next year. The road will be widened by about eight feet between M-291 and Jackson Drive, with one added through lane in each direction. A traffic light will likely be installed at the far eastern entrance to Independence Center. Bonner said that work will probably take about a year.

Mall Manager Vernon Meckel said a traffic study was performed the weekend before Christmas, so the worst case scenarios could be explored. Mall management hasn't finished studying the report.

Meckel said improvements to the M-291 and 39th Street intersection, combined with having the police help out, have improved the traffic situation. He's optimistic the new project will help even more.

"I think this will help all of the parties involved in this project and improve the flow of traffic on 39th Street in front of the Independence Center. I think the opening of Jackson Drive will also help," Meckel said.

Jackson Drive will connect 39th Street and Little Blue Parkway. Concerns over a creek and pond in the area of the road have held things up. The road should open this spring.

Engineering is already under way for a third phase ­ realigning and extending 39th Street east of the Little Blue Parkway, past Sunny Vale Middle School. No route for this project is established, but the city is working with the land owner.

Bonner said the transportation district is also considering engineering a new four-lane bridge over the Little Blue River, near the bike trail on 39th Street. He said the bridge is in bad shape and something needs to be done soon. He said a new bridge will probably be built right next to the old one, and 39th Street realigned.

Funding for the transportation district projects will come from a one-eighth cent sales tax on businesses along 39th Street. Money for the TDD is pouring in more quickly than expected.

A couple months ago, the transportation district issued $5 million in bonds and received some state grant money. This money will get the project part way through the first two phases and could pay for the new bridge. The transportation district would have to issue more bonds to complete the remaining projects.

The city also is planning projects to improve 39th Street between Lee's Summit Road and Noland Road.

The road will be widened about five feet on each side, allowing a center turn lane. Curbs, gutters, sidewalks and streetlights will be installed. Utility lines will be buried.

The city is busy acquiring easements and already has most of the property. Construction should begin in spring or summer of 2005.

The project will be funded with about $2.5 million in federal highway funds.

"The goal of all of these projects is to improve safety and to reduce the delay people have when they drive down 39th Street," said John Powell, assistant director of Independence Public Works. "We're confident these projects will accomplish that."

To reach James Dornbrook e-mail james.dornbrook@examiner.net or call (816) 350-6322.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

What's happening with US-40, M-7, Woods Chapel, and Adams Dairy?

I know what's happening witb I-70, and it makes me glad I no longer live in Blue Springs.

There was an article in the Examiner a few days ago touting the improvements the I-70 project will bring and on of the improvments it mentioned was that I-70 would be 3 lanes in each direction from Little Blue to M-7.

Ummmm... it already is.

Examiner, wake me up when it's 4-lane to M-7 and 3-lane from M-7 to Odessa. That would be news worth reporting.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I think I read the same article, and the point I took away from it was that the current road work will result in an extra wide shoulder that could be re-striped to add a fourth lane. So, essentially they *are* adding the fourth lane in this section, but won't actually use it until the other sections are also widened.

Everything east of 7 Hwy is part of the state-wide I-70 project and won't widened for at least seven more years.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

scooterj wrote:What's happening with US-40, M-7, Woods Chapel, and Adams Dairy?

I know what's happening witb I-70, and it makes me glad I no longer live in Blue Springs.

There was an article in the Examiner a few days ago touting the improvements the I-70 project will bring and on of the improvments it mentioned was that I-70 would be 3 lanes in each direction from Little Blue to M-7.

Ummmm... it already is.

Examiner, wake me up when it's 4-lane to M-7 and 3-lane from M-7 to Odessa. That would be news worth reporting.
They are building with eight lanes, but will only use three for now.

Route 7 is getting raised medians, bike lanes, new lighting, and new signals in the first phase the straddles I-70.

Woods Chappel will be widend to 5 lanes south of I-70.

US 40 is going to be improved around I-470.

Adams Dairy is just getting finished up with it's final missing links, but it will have a ton of construction along it.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Wow... people think 39th Street traffic is bad now, just wait until the entire northern half of Blue Springs starts using it as their detour. And the southern half will probably use Woods Chapel south of 40 once the 40 Hwy work starts up.

Wow, I never realized how isolated Blue Springs is. There really are not very many east-west thru roads that connect it to the rest of the Metro. Colbern, Woods Chapel, US 40, I-70, and Pink Hill/39th are all I can think of. (Can't really count Valley View since that ends at Little Blue... still within the construction zone.)

As if all this weren't enough, Independence announced a massive improvement projct to 39th Street west of Lee's Summit Road.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm just curious as to where everyone is going to go. They are also closing many ramps for up to 3 months like the EB off ramp to 7 highway. I mean, that is one of the bussiest exits in the metro area and the Woods Chaple exit is already at capicity.

US-40 and the I-70 frontage roads will be a disaster.

It will be interesting.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I just hope the businesses that depend on traveler traffic have prepared themselves to ride out at least 3 months of greatly reduced business. It would suck for the project to finish and reopen to a strip of boarded up restaurants and service stations.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

As much as the construction sucks, it's all very overdue. As usual we are playing catch-up with growth on the Missouri side, instead of building the infrastructure ahead of it.

With all of the residential and retail growth, and taffic congestion on routes leading to Downtown and Johnson County, Eastern Jack is poised for some major commerical/office growth of it's own. These construction projects will definitely help set the stage for that development.