Western Auto Lofts

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Western Auto Lofts

Post by hawkgolfer »

Moniker wrote: Ugg, I could not imagine moving back into something that small. My first loft with my fiance was around 950 square feet and we were on top of one another.
It sounds kind of big, but believe me it is pretty small with TWO people.  All by myself it was just fine!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

hawkgolfer wrote: It sounds kind of big, but believe me it is pretty small with TWO people.  All by myself it was just fine!
I've lived in smaller places with another person and it was never a problem.  It is all about using the space efficiently and making sure you preserve the personal spaces where you can disengage from time to time.

Also, it helps not to spend as much time at home.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

If she had a reasonable amount of clothes and crap and it would be just fine.  Needs to learn to downsize her things and sell some of them!
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

So is it true that when a light burns out in the Western Auto sign, the owners have to take turns replacing the bulbs?
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

cknab1 wrote: So is it true that when a light burns out in the Western Auto sign, the owners have to take turns replacing the bulbs?
:lol:

Are you starting an urban legend? 
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

Condo By-law Enforcement

Post by kccrackednut »

To you folks who live in condos in downtown KC--are you satisfied that your condo by-laws are enforced properly in your building? Are they enforced too rigorously? not rigorously enough?  Are they ignored altogether? I am trying to get a sense of comparative experiences. 
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

cknab1 wrote: So is it true that when a light burns out in the Western Auto sign, the owners have to take turns replacing the bulbs?
Hell no.  It is taken care of right away before it is a problem
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Condo By-law Enforcement

Post by hawkgolfer »

kccrackednut wrote: To you folks who live in condos in downtown KC--are you satisfied that your condo by-laws are enforced properly in your building? Are they enforced too rigorously? not rigorously enough?  Are they ignored altogether? I am trying to get a sense of comparative experiences. 
People in our community take our property very seriously and have a great deal of pride in it.  So I would say that the rules are clearly in place and everyone does an excellent job of following such rules.  The average age in our community is probably higher than in some others, so that probably helps in having a sane and peacful living environment.  Everyone is trying to protect their investment and strive toward having the ultimate living experience while occupied in our commmunity. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

We have had some problems.  One was with someone dealing drugs.  A big one is a couple of sibling students whose old man bought them a condo and they try to drag everybody from NV into the building after hours.  Once they completely trashed the felt on the pool table.  We also have problems with people not putting equipment up in the gym, leaving it scattered about everywhere.  Then there are also a few who do not pick up after their dogs.  Percentage wise the bad apples are few but they stick out like a pimple.  Some people just have no concept of communal living, responsibility, and respect for others.
kcchief
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcchief »

moderne wrote: We have had some problems.  One was with someone dealing drugs.  A big one is a couple of sibling students whose old man bought them a condo and they try to drag everybody from NV into the building after hours.  Once they completely trashed the felt on the pool table.  We also have problems with people not putting equipment up in the gym, leaving it scattered about everywhere.  Then there are also a few who do not pick up after their dogs.  Percentage wise the bad apples are few but they stick out like a pimple.  Some people just have no concept of communal living, responsibility, and respect for others.
Moderne...where do you live? 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I would hope that the police were called about the drugs and the NV party folks. Surely someone in the development did something. I'd assume that the folks responsible for trashing the pool table were also forced to pay for the damages.

As for people not picking up after themselves in the gym, That happens a lot in many gyms. Some people are so arrogant and self centered that they assume others will pick up after them. f

Have these issues been addresssed by the condo association? Have police been contacted regarding the illegal activity?  I would assume that if any of other owners have any level of self respect and pride in where they live, these problems are being addressed?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Oh yes on all of the above.  Got the cops to bust the dealer(who in their right mind would deal out of a doorman building with taped video monitors everywhere. He tried to flush the evidence but it did not go down and they sledgehammered the stool apart.  He tried  to get the developers to pay for the damages!).  The kids had to pay for their damages and now the party room is locked at night unless it has been reserved.  There is a limit to how many people can be admitted into the building after midnight. As far is picking up gym and poo, there are reminders every month in the newsletter, but some people object to having rules posted in the gym, we do have a dogie poo bag dispenser at the lobby door.  We are shortly to take over the entire board from the developers, so it will be interesting to see how this vertical village self rule evolves.  It will be either Athens or Lord of the Flies.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Limit to after-midnight admittance?  Sounds like a million-dollar dorm room. 

The last place I lived with posted admittance rules was the Ambassador.  I though that kind of insult was reserved for the flat-broke and poor. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Condos Gone Wild
cknab1
Ambassador

Re: Condo By-law Enforcement

Post by cknab1 »

kccrackednut wrote: To you folks who live in condos in downtown KC--are you satisfied that your condo by-laws are enforced properly in your building? Are they enforced too rigorously? not rigorously enough?  Are they ignored altogether? I am trying to get a sense of comparative experiences. 
I live in Santa Fe Place and there has been a huge differerence between when we were renters to now being owners.  The renters really seemed to take better care while some of the new owners think they should be waited on hand and foot.  We just recently able to get all the homeowners on the Board so if will be interesting how it plays out.  Also the average age of tenants here has really dropped since the conversion.  Like from 65 to maybe 45.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

We (Western Auto Lofts) don't even have a POOL TABLE, what place is even being talked about here?????  I am really confused!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this may have been mentioned before, but i found a permit for what appears to be a coffee shop in the main western auto building: Art & Frame Coffee Shop.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

There is a banner in one of the street level retail spaces about a coffee shop coming soon.  It's not the main building though.  I think it's the one furthest north.
hoghead

Post by hoghead »

The sign is in building 3.The Westeren Auto lofts have 3 buildings.It is supposed to be a coffee shop an art and framing.It's been in the works for awhile.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

If anyone at Western Auto can tell me, was Signature management company the original management there and were they fired and replaced by Curry.  I'm investigating Signature for a bid on the property where I live and any background info on them would be helpful.  Also any info on Curry would be apreciated.