Hypothetical Land Use for the West Bottoms

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Hypothetical Land Use for the West Bottoms

Post by voltopt »

I don't think this belongs in the downtown room, however I can't imagine Union Hill being here but not the West Bottoms.  Feel free to move it if it is necessary.
Earlier I posted in a thread about the possiblity of part of the West Bottoms becoming a Historic District URD, akin to what happened in the River Market area starting in the late 80s.
First, a few buildings were occupied and rehabilitated.  Then a URD was created and the sidewalks and curbs were improved (all of the brick sidewalks along delaware, walnut & main).  The previous zoning had been primarily industrial and warehouse. 
What are some people's thoughts about something similar happening in a small section of the West Bottoms? The area worth investing in down there is only about 20% or less of the entire West Bottoms - how can one go about encouraging development in a grass roots way, akin to the Crossroads and the River Market, without investing public money right away in things like entertainment districts and city markets? 
I think the following things could get the ball rolling in this area- it would still take a decade or more for development or public investment to reach the level that is enjoyed by the River Market and Crossroads areas...
1. repaving the streets in the area
2. developing better traffic control and interaction with the main Union Pacific tracks that come through there
3. improved lighting and wayfinding signage
4. new sidewalks in a crucial area (possibly Union Avenue, or Mulberry Street)
5.rezoning a 9-12 block area URD to allow for residential and commercial development, primarily from 9th to 13th and from west of Liberty street to Santa Fe street.
6.encouraging development with basic incentives (not TIFF or tax breaks, but historic tax credits and housing credits)
7. delineating the new URD zoned area from the remaining Industrial zoned area.  Basically discourage through truck traffic on certain streets, but allow primary industrial access to still occur.  I think I'll come up with a more detailed land use plan for discussion of some of these details.  Its entirely possible to retain industrial access and develop new uses.

Most pioneers of urban areas deal with all sorts of noise and industrial desolation - 6 years ago in the river market the Republic Fiber building still ran trucks down delaware every day, and the tracks on 2nd street were used daily.
At-grade rail can be dealt with as well - there are freight trains that traverse the freighthouse area by union station every 5 minutes, I'm sure we can allow for similar train considerations through the two border tracks in the West Bottoms.

Here is the Land Use Map.  Tell me I'm crazy!

"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Hypothetical Land Use for the West Bottoms

Post by ShowMeKC »

I agree, but I also think the historic district can be extended to the rail from Genessee w/ new development added in that area.
In the area you have marked as commercial, I believe the section closest to the Kansas river could be made into a riverfront park.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i really, really, really wish the west bottoms would get redeveloped. the layout of the neighborhood and the buildings was based on the rail spurs, so there's are many interestingly shaped structures. that rail line running diagonally through the neighborhood probably can't feasibly be elevated; as long as the crossings are at grade, the trains will have to use their horns (which of course does not make for a good residential experience). regardless, i think there's so much potential to just let it sit as storage, light industrial, and haunted houses.
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

DaveKCMO wrote: i really, really, really wish the west bottoms would get redeveloped. the layout of the neighborhood and the buildings was based on the rail spurs, so there's are many interestingly shaped structures. that rail line running diagonally through the neighborhood probably can't feasibly be elevated; as long as the crossings are at grade, the trains will have to use their horns (which of course does not make for a good residential experience). regardless, i think there's so much potential to just let it sit as storage, light industrial, and haunted houses.
What about floods? This area has been devastated before by floods.  Developers must be a bit leary of investing here.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

CityLiving wrote: What about floods? This area has been devastated before by floods.  Developers must be a bit leary of investing here.
The Plaza has flooded more recently than the West Bottoms!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

I think this could become a really cool artsy area, with cool bars and restaurants catering to the arts crowd. I know we have the crossroads, however I don't believe it will always be what it is today, be that good or bad.
"Make no small plans: they have no magic to stir men's blood,"  Daniel Burnham.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Just remember how any territory in the river bottoms in KC is in the summer--hot, muggy, and the lowest point where all the bad smells and pollution settle.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

All I think of when I hear about redeveloping the West Bottoms is a red-light district.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Let's just succumb to the inevitable, flood the sucker and turn it into a post-apocalyptic themed bumper boat park.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think this area has the potential for something better, but I'm not sure what. This is an interesting discussion.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

moderne wrote: Just remember how any territory in the river bottoms in KC is in the summer--hot, muggy, and the lowest point where all the bad smells and pollution settle.
North Kansas City seems to be doing fine, for being in the river bottoms!  (although there is a foul stench)
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

One of the reasons industry moved into there, and the residential is up closer to the hill.  Actually flooding a portion of the West Bottoms is not a bad idea.  Since any water recreation on the Missouri is questionable due to the speed of the channelized current, a winding lagoon behind the levees could make a good nexus for development.  Bistate lake, lake of the two Kansas Cities.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I always thought the section north of 12th would be a great place for a Land of Oz theam park. Complete with a Emerald City type roof for year round use. Just across the Kansas state line you could put Dorthy's run down farm house.

It was also my first idea for a gondola, from the park up to Quality Hill.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Shades of Charlie Wheeler's World Fair!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I think we should just make all the Irish move back down there, then blow up the bridges.
Chazarelli
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Chazarelli »

I was in Cleveland this summer and spent quite a bit of time in their old west bottoms type district and it was amazing.  I have always thought this would be ideal for the West Bottoms in Kansas City.

http://www.warehousedistrict.org/
passerby
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by passerby »

Cleveland's Warehouse District was discussed last year in a KC Design Center presentation:

http://www.kcdesigncenter.org/barrie.html
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

Glad to see a thread on this topic Voltopt. I drive around West Bottoms just for fun because it is such an interesting City within a City (meaning there are a lot of towns in the region whose downtowns doesn't have as much urban density as what's concentrated in the West Bottoms, e.g. Lawrence, KS)

Since this is a hypothetical dream thread, it is quite alright to share ideas and preferences and NOT to get into the realities of City's politics, economics, the underclass culture or geogical history.

Rather than say the West Bottoms "brick" could be developed so-an-so, let's just assume that it will someday, into a nice blend of residential, restaurant, office and retail, with a smattering of the arts. I would dream of seeing new construction that focused on residential and office as in-fill and tastefully designed to complement the existing mix of architecture. I would also leave the rail lines which cleave the district at interesting angles; it gives the West Bottoms an early 20th century quality that I hope is never lost. Enough of the rail spurs have already been abandoned, and although that's not entirely a bad thing, it would be shame to see it all go or be modified.

Setting aside the dreams and focusing on realities:  Forester viaduct needs to be fixed, resurfaced and modified to connect better to the edge of the bluff. All of the streets and sidewalks need to be re-done, and the Beardsley and Woodswhether connections to River Market should be improved to make a seemless connection to River Market. There is that other viaduct that is assending the bluff up towards Summit Street (can't remeber the name at the moment) that is nearly re-done. Progress, albeit slow, is being made.  I commented on this in another dream thread post on the Status and Future of the River Market thread.

I love the West Bottoms; so much so that I have a miniaturized interpretation of it underway in my basement combining that District with Union Station. 

Thanks again Voltopt for  starting this thread. I hope it continues for a long time, and helps generate greater appreciation for the West Bottoms.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Reopen the Cable Car Tunnel. Run the PVP Tram up 23rd street.
Tear down the west loop.
The Lake idea is great. Take a ferry to KCK.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The lake idea is actually the most intiguing idea I've ever heard for the bottoms.