Chakra

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Chakra

Post by KCPowercat »

Anybody been yet? I thought they hadn't got their liquor license yet but in there pictures it looks like they have. Cool international flavor club...all house music.

West Bottoms......home to 2-3 real clubs and more than enough after hour raves.

http://www.chakrakc.com
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chakra

Post by staubio »

Are these places walkable in relation to one another if one isn't too scared of the West Bottoms? I'd love to see the West Bottoms turn into the "club district" with a concentration of dance clubs. I've been to Club One 51 down there and it was pretty cool.

This way, Westport can grow up a bit and the Crossroads and South Loop can become the new Westport. We need a link between this emerging area and the emerging West Bottoms for all night bar-goers.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Chakra

Post by bahua »

Geography's against us, there. There aren't many cliffs in KC, but there sure are, there. That I know of, there are two links to the West Bottoms from downtown: 12th Street and I-670. More causeways could be built, but that would be very expensive.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chakra

Post by staubio »

bahua wrote:Geography's against us, there. There aren't many cliffs in KC, but there sure are, there. That I know of, there are two links to the West Bottoms from downtown: 12th Street and I-670. More causeways could be built, but that would be very expensive.
Regardless of the addition of causeways, it is always going to be a hike to get from the top of the cliff. I'm thinking a bus route that ran between the two areas would be effective. Of course, you can't support the bus route until you have two areas of club concentration between which people want to travel and you can't have two areas of concetration without transportation between them. Maybe a trolley or something, just to link up more areas on heavy nightlife evenings. Of course, I don't know what kind of precendent this sends, but at least it sends the message that you can leave the car at home and travel safely.

Perhaps we can better connect the dots by connecting their centers and letting them grow outward, until eventually they unify into one dense, walkable mecca.

I think I'm gonna cry. :-)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Chakra

Post by bahua »

At least the number 12 and the number 101 already serve that route, for the KCATA. There are probably more, though.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chakra

Post by staubio »

The 12 and 101 only have service on weekdays, and not particularly late. The 106 runs down James St and at least runs on Saturday. I would hope they could come up with service that had nightlife in mind, but I don't think the ATA could be the one to do it first. It would be in the interest of the clubs trying to make connections.

On that note, I hope BRT runs late. I want to take transit home after closing a bar.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Chakra

Post by KCPowercat »

Staub...I agree on the running late but I doubt MAX will run after 2:30-3am....especially on this tight of a budget. I'd say it would run until midnight-1am at the latest.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chakra

Post by dangerboy »

Probably several years before the ATA gets around to a club route. Right now their focus is on getting people to/from work and adding service to suburban job centers.

The new clubs in the Crossroads will be able to benefit from MAX, but not so much the ones in the West Bottoms. Unless people are willing to take a cab up the hill to connect with MAX. But people in KC generally seem to shun cab service, even when it makes sense for things like getting home from Westport or wherever.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Chakra

Post by KCPowercat »

I love the cabs...although sometimes they try and take me the long way.

More than a few times I've taken the bus to Westport/Plaza and taken a cab home.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chakra

Post by staubio »

KC wrote:I love the cabs...although sometimes they try and take me the long way.

More than a few times I've taken the bus to Westport/Plaza and taken a cab home.
That's my strategy. The bus works great for getting there. The 51 runs outside my door, so I can take it to Westport or downtown and then cab it home. No pesky car to worry about, no two-way cab fare.
KCforumer

Chakra

Post by KCforumer »

101 runs on Saturday.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Chakra

Post by bahua »

So does the 12.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chakra

Post by staubio »

Thanks for the heads up, guys. Looks like I need to spend more quality time with the bus schedule, though the web site doesn't have an icon for weekend schedules on those routes.

Maybe we could make some improvements to the ATA website, including making a version that doesn't requre javascript or PDF so I could check schedules from my smartphone.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Chakra

Post by KC0KEK »

staubio wrote:Maybe we could make some improvements to the ATA website, including making a version that doesn't requre javascript or PDF so I could check schedules from my smartphone.
What kind of smartphone are you using? Just curious.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chakra

Post by staubio »

KC0KEK wrote: What kind of smartphone are you using? Just curious.
Samsung I500 (Palm OS based) on Sprint PCS Vision.

Very cool phone.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Chakra

Post by KC0KEK »

The Treo 600 also is nice. I tried one but can't remember whether it could handle PDFs. That ability definitely would be handy when traveling because like ATA, a lot of cities PDF their schedules.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Chakra

Post by dangerboy »

anything that runs the Palm OS should be able to run the Palm version of Acrobat Reader.