Bruce R. Watkins Dr. good or bad?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Named after the first African American to serve on Kansas City's city council has this stretch of highway done any good for the residents which reside between 75th Street northbound to the downtown loop? I travel this highway daily and wonder this myself. Sure it's helped people with quicker commutes who live in Grandview, Belton, Raymore, Lee's Summit etc. But what about inner city residents? I see hope in two corridors that will cross the highway from west to east.
1. Brush Creek corridor. I know they're currently working on rechanneling and improving the creek to look like the area which runs through the Plaza. This would be a primo area for Stowers to expand. Last I heard Ollie Gates still had plans to redevelop area's eastward to Prospect. Haven't heard anything of late.

2. East 27th Street Corridor. I see promise with this stretch due to the expansion of Crown Center and the many housing developments that I think will occur east of there in the next 5-10 years.

Finally,

I would be interested in seeing what's happened to housing/land values since the roadway was completed in 2001. Hopefully things improve in the future for these current residents.
Calling a spade a spade.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Some other developments in the area...

http://www.ingramsonline.com/december_2 ... creek.html
Calling a spade a spade.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Still a lot of unrealized potential, but it's still relataively early to assess the impact on an area that has decades' worth of problems to reverse. 63rd Street also has a lot of potential as it connects the highway to Brookside, and already has several viable businesses. Health Midwest was pushing a redevelopment plan for 63rd and 71 Hwy, but the HCA buyout stalled that plan after the Osco was built. Will be interesting to see if HCA continues it along with the major renovations beginning at Research Medical Center.