Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Metro North Mall

Post by staubio »

KCNorthlander wrote:There seems to be an increase in St. Joe people getting work in the growing Northland as well as shopping and dining here.....I wonder if this could have any effect on the two MSA's merging some time in the future. I doubt it.

I'm just thinking out loud.
Which also begs the question -- to what extent will these new options in St. Jo impact the amount of people that make the trip to KC to spend their money?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Metro North Mall

Post by dangerboy »

KCNorthlander wrote:There seems to be an increase in St. Joe people getting work in the growing Northland as well as shopping and dining here.....I wonder if this could have any effect on the two MSA's merging some time in the future. I doubt it.

Very similar to people in Lawrence or Warrensburg commuting to southern Johnson County or Lee's Summit. It raises some interesting questions about adding counties to the metro area based on connections to the suburbs instead of the core city.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Metro North Mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

There are MANY, MANY workers from St. Joe that commute to KC...

And there are MANY more that come to KC for dining out, movies, shopping, etc...
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Metro North Mall

Post by KCN »

dangerboy wrote:

Very similar to people in Lawrence or Warrensburg commuting to southern Johnson County or Lee's Summit. It raises some interesting questions about adding counties to the metro area based on connections to the suburbs instead of the core city.
Is the criteria for adding a county to an MSA based on commutes to the core city or just the urbanized area? I thought it was the latter but I may be wrong.