new vinyl?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

new vinyl?

Post by chingon »

so, is there anywhere anymore to buy NEW records?  do i have to drive to lawrence? 
(confession: despite an irresponsibly large collection of records...i have never bought a newly released record in my life)
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: new vinyl?

Post by voltopt »

ebay, which takes the fun out of browsing.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chingon wrote: so, is there anywhere anymore to buy NEW records?  do i have to drive to lawrence? 
(confession: despite an irresponsibly large collection of records...i have never bought a newly released record in my life)
I thought the basement of Prospero's had some new vinyl, but maybe I'm wrong. Zebadee's doesn't?

If there isn't a place to buy new records in KCMo-- for shame!
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I found a website that you can buy records http://www.lpnow.com/index.html .
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i bet there is SOMEWHERE in kc that has new vinyl...ive never been able to keep tabs of all the record stores in kc for some reason. zebedees, if it doesnt now, might have new vinyl in the future seeing as how he was going to start ordering more new release cds...or allowing one to order there anyway.
eternalvibe
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by eternalvibe »

so is deepfix records closed?  i did see a twc bill on the door when i was waiting for the 39th & adams bus...
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter, they are an entire banquet-mark twain
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Hey - He's right about the shop in Prospero's basement.  Corner of 39th + Bell.  They call it "Red Rooster's." Their MySpace profile weekly posts a list of new arrivals.  Stop in, good place.  Zebedee's stock is collector-quality and the staff are helpful, knowledgable and supportive of our local venues.  In a word, cool. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I don't know how far you're willing to go, but out here in the wilds of Shawnee there is a store called "Vinyl Renaissance" (I think -- it's definitely vinyl something or other) at the corner of Shawnee Mission Pkwy and Quivira.

ETA -- Their website is http://www.vinyl-renaissance.com/servlet/StoreFront
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

i personally think vinyl renaissance is the best record store in the city (now), but they carry used vinyl.  i don't know that they have many new titles. 

thanks for the responses, i'd heard about, but have not yet been to zebedee's.  deep fix's stock is not what i'm into.  i guess i didn't know red rooster had new records, i've been in 2 or 3 times, and liked it given its rather limitted but tasteful selection, but must have missed the new section. 

anyway, i don't think the release i'm looking for is out on record yet, so i've settle for the digital download, which is how i get most of my new music.  it'll probably be another 5 years before i really care enough about another new release to buy an actual record.  in the meantime, i'll piss away my paychecks at stan's record conventions in lenexa.

p.s. - to all the vinyl junkies, the final day of stan's is the best place to buy used records in kc, hands down.  but you probably already new that.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Where are some good places to get used CDs?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

CD Tradepost. I know that there is one by the 6th Street Hyvee in Lawrence.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Midtown's 1/2 Price Books- any discs that slip by the knowledgable staff are 5.88 and up.  Locally owned- search eBay for a KC seller
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC0KEK wrote: Where are some good places to get used CDs?
Do you have a time machine?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

^^ If I did, I'd go back to 1988-1989 and the used CD and record store across from Jesse Hall in Columbia. That place had a great selection even though CDs were still relatively new at the time.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chingon wrote: in the meantime, i'll piss away my paychecks at stan's record conventions in lenexa.

p.s. - to all the vinyl junkies, the final day of stan's is the best place to buy used records in kc, hands down.  but you probably already new that.
discuss. 

also, what are some other places to get (gently used) records? 

so far we have:  Zebedee's, Rooster's, Vinyl Renaissance, Stan's (?), and i've heard about a flea market or something on 75th that is supposed to be good.  any tips?

more importantly, what the hell happened to Music Exchange?  i know the proprietor moved to the Bottoms, then DIED, but what happened to all those records? 
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

I met Ron Rooks one night at Connie's Gennessee Inn, a bar near Kemper.  He holla'd at my group and asked us up.  The warehouse facility is enormous, and packed w/ records and music memorabilia.  Probably 30K square feet.  Absurd. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: I met Ron Rooks one night at Connie's Gennessee Inn, a bar near Kemper.  He holla'd at my group and asked us up.  The warehouse facility is enormous, and packed w/ records and music memorabilia.  Probably 30K square feet.  Absurd. 

is it open for the public to go make purchases?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Doesn't seem so.  The entryway is convoluted and the stock was unorganized in stacks and rows of stacks.  Here's a fun rumor.  DJ Shadow was visiting town last year and Rooks turned down a 1.5 million offer for it all. 
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Fellow junkies:

Stan's Record Show
Radisson Hotel
Convention Center Ballrooms A&B
12601 W 95th
Lenexa, KS

9:00-3:30