Lenexa CityCenter

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Lenexa CityCenter

Post by skim82 »

this thing is going to be huge.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

BizJournal reporting that the development agreement as cleared the City Council.

The Lenexa City Council approved a development agreement with master developer Copaken White & Blitt for the proposed Lenexa City Center, a city official said Tuesday.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

ComandanteCero wrote: on Copaken's website:
I think that the real beauty, if executed properly, is that there is future zoning to the north and northeast of the initial project.  Fingers crossed that this goes through and delivers.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I was talking to a friend who lives in Lenexa the other day and he mentioned this project so I assume it's going forward.  Anyway, he thought it was stupid because "this is the suburbs" and even though he lives near it, the concern was that it would drive the strip malls near his home out of business.  His attitude was that dense, mixed use developments are fine for redevelopment in "the city", but people in the 'burbs prefer strip malls and Applebees over urban.  I was shocked that anyone would think this way. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That sucks, but let's resist extrapolating that backwards idea on everyone that lives in the 'burbs. I don't think many suburbs (Mission, Blue Springs, Leawood) would be doing projects like this if everyone thought that.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

DanCa wrote: I was talking to a friend who lives in Lenexa the other day and he mentioned this project so I assume it's going forward.  Anyway, he thought it was stupid because "this is the suburbs" and even though he lives near it, the concern was that it would drive the strip malls near his home out of business.  His attitude was that dense, mixed use developments are fine for redevelopment in "the city", but people in the 'burbs prefer strip malls and Applebees over urban.  I was shocked that anyone would think this way. 
I lived about a couple blocks away from it  95th and Loriet, and I think it is a good plan.  My concern is that will it bring in a grocery store.  Surpising with the metro area has so many grocery stores, there no in the area from 95th to 87th and Pflumn to Ridgeview
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kanasalumn wrote: I lived about a couple blocks away from it  95th and Loriet, and I think it is a good plan.  My concern is that will it bring in a grocery store.  Surpising with the metro area has so many grocery stores, there no in the area from 95th to 87th and Pflumn to Ridgeview
Hen house - 87th and Lackman. 
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Also, don't forget that there is a new grocery market, Dillon's going in off of K-10 and Woodland near Falcon Valley. 

Depending on what side of 435 you're living on, that might be closer than 87th and Lackman with all the stoplights on 87th.

One more thing, a new Hy-vee and Walgreen's just opened up on 119th and Ridgeview. 
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Dr. Know »

One thing that I find interesting about this tract is that it is the largest tract of undeveloped land that remains in the Shawnee Mission School District other than the sq mile section to the south which is all undermined by Meritex and the Vanlerbergs.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

anything new on this development?

Renner between 95th and 87th is reopen, and boy the road is kind of out of placed Given nothing is built yet, but the the swoves (sp) is cool. 
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

It seems like to me that they are still moving dirt and grading the land for development.  In the past year, the driving range on 87th, (i believe Kansas Sports Center) has blueprints and elevation drawings of the new proposed 18-hole championship golf course with high-end residential development included.

Lenexa Christian Center (just to the west) has opened up a '24 hour fitness' like gym.  It looks amazing, but I have yet to become a member.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Come on Internet gumshoes... this wasn't that hard...

http://www.cwbkc.com/Development/lenexa ... ED-F2E6500&

"Copaken, White & Blitt competed in a national selection process and was awarded the development rights for the site in late 2005. Based on anchor and/or major tenant commitments, construction can start as early as March 2007."

Notice the weird road alignment in the first image. That is 87th Street splitting into one-way streets through the project. The developers want to do a serious implementation of a grid system throughout this project (and hopefully for the parcel to the north of 87th also).

The Golf Club of Kansas is entirely separate from all the City Center stuff. The project to the east of Renner is quasi-separate, in that the developer (Varnum) for that parcel was able to move ahead before the main parcel was ready. Varnum is also developing the north parcel, but that timeline has not started yet.

MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

I wish I could keep up with all these KS developments..  you have "plazas, places, parks, centers, pointes".  I give up.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

That rendering looks pretty good- If they do hidden parking, that will be huge. 
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Looks like JoCo will have at least a few nice new-urbanism centers. It's too bad they're not transit-accessible. I like 87th St though.

Roeland Park and Merriam screwed up.
Last edited by Stockton on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Stockton wrote: Looks like JoCo will have at least a few nice new-urbanism centers. It's too bad they're not transit-accessible. I like 87th St though.

Roeland Park and Merriam screwed up.
The Mission development I believe is saving room to be a transit hub. I thought I had heard that the Metcalf South development, if that goes anywhere, would consider being a transit hub as well.

I am very disappointed in the Bella Roe Plaza at Roeland Park. That could have been really cool and connecting to the Mission development. Instead we get a sprawling parking lot and some stores that don't even face the main street Roe Avenue.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

phxcat wrote: That rendering looks pretty good- If they do hidden parking, that will be huge. 
I don't see a single surface lot - could this be the first shopping center in KC since the plaza to be surface lot free? 
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

any new news on this?  All I notice movemnet of land and change of renner
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

So I happened to be out in west Lenexa last night when I noticed that one of the older, neighboring apartment complexes has now changed its name to The Dunes at City Center.  I was struck by what a shameless effort at capitalizing on the project this was since I am fairly certain that this dump has zero association with the CityCenter and probably doesn't even have a beach volleyball pit, let alone any 'Dunes'.  Chalk up another example in the list of stupid real estate names. 
CyDanny
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CyDanny »

DanCa wrote: His attitude was that dense, mixed use developments are fine for redevelopment in "the city", but people in the 'burbs prefer strip malls and Applebees over urban.  I was shocked that anyone would think this way. 
Some/a lot of people might be opposed to the idea initially, but once it happens, they'll probably be glad for it, so they don't have to go all the way to the Plaza.