Weekend in the Twin Cities (with pics)

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Weekend in the Twin Cities (with pics)

Post by MidWestSider »

Went up north for the weekend to visit a friend and I have to say..   I was impressed.  This was my 3rd trip to Minn, but the 1st since i've taken a intrest in 'Urban Development'.

Heres a few pics..  I only had 3 hrs to cover a huge chunk of area that i wasnt really familar with..  So not many quality shots.

Downtown St. Paul

The Science Museum is currently running an exhibit called 'Body Worlds' which uses REAL DEAD BODIES to show the human anatomy.  http://www.bodyworlds.com/index.html  I wonder if this would fly at Union Staion

Xcel Energy Center - Home of the Minnesota Wild - NHL

Enough of St. Paul..  On to Bloomington - Mall of America

This has to be one of the largest parking garages in the World...

Hopped on the light rail line at the mall and headed to downtown Minneapolis

I was curious to how well the honor system held up..  looks like pretty good, everyone had a ticket.

A couple shots from the train..

Home of the Vikings and Twins

Airport Terminal Station..  the only underground portion of the LRT system

Downtown Minneapolis

for you 'Purple Rain' fans

The Target Center and Block E..  Bow down to the Sprint Center and P+L District.

Cool City!!  Too cold for me though
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Weekend in the Twin Cities (with pics)

Post by im2kull »

ahhh I love the nice "core" of tall buildings...mmmmm
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Even the St. Paul pictures kind of impress me. I'm surprised.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

As a comment on Body Worlds, I saw that when I was at Chicago back in 2005. Very impressive and very popular. They had to have showings nearly 24 hours a day because the demand to see it was so high.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

My husband grew up there! For about a year before we got married, we would both drive to Des Moines, leave one car in some parking lot, and then drive together to either Kansas City or Hopkins. I'll have to show him your cool pics. What is the building that looks like a Russian church? This one:

Oh, he thinks MN is too cold, too. In fact, he thinks Kansas City is too cold!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Roanoker wrote: What is the building that looks like a Russian church?
That is the Cathedral of Saint Paul: http://www.cathedralsaintpaul.org/

I never understood the purpose of buliding churchs so.. big. 

KCK wrote: As a comment on Body Worlds, I saw that when I was at Chicago back in 2005. Very impressive and very popular. They had to have showings nearly 24 hours a day because the demand to see it was so high.
The 1st week it opened in St. Paul it was picketed and boycotted..   Now its so popular its been extended 3 months. 

It's on it's 3rd showing in Chicago now..   I'd love to see it in KC at least once.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

oh yah, the twin cities there, you betchya!
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Did you notice all of the buildings downtown were interconnected by skywalks? You won't get cold going from building to building.
  Considering the church in the photo I believe that that church is the head of the Archdiocese of St. Paul in the Roman Catholic Church. When there is a major mass like Easter the church will be full.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

anniewarbucks wrote: Did you notice all of the buildings downtown were interconnected by skywalks? You won't get cold going from building to building.
  Considering the church in the photo I believe that that church is the head of the Archdiocese of St. Paul in the Roman Catholic Church. When there is a major mass like Easter the church will be full.
have you been at the church on easter up there? you gotta bundle up there, and dress in layers...heck ofa deal there...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

MidWestSider wrote: I never understood the purpose of buliding churchs so.. big. 
Don't know the purpose (well, actually, I think its obvious) but if you ever go to Europe, you will be glad they did....the places are amazing.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Highlander wrote: ... if you ever go to Europe, you will be glad they did....the places are amazing.
I went to Troost School, an elementary school in Kansas City. I recall being taught about architectural designs in European churches. The term, "flying buttresses" comes to mind. They were used to hold up the massive walls from the outside, freeing up the inside for column-free activities. I don't see them in the St. Paul Cathedral picture.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Highlander wrote: Don't know the purpose (well, actually, I think its obvious) but if you ever go to Europe, you will be glad they did....the places are amazing.
I really didnt mean size wise. I was refering  more to..  why are they so 'elaborate'.  Was the principle.. to please god?

I was in europe two months ago..  and that is the extreme of what i'm refering to.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Midwestsider~

Why is your avatar so dark? I can hardly see the image. Maybe it's my computer or my eyes.  :(
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Roanoker wrote: Midwestsider~

Why is your avatar so dark? I can hardly see the image. Maybe it's my computer or my eyes.  :(
I know..  i logged in on my desktop and its hardly visible, but its clear on my notebook.

It's just a KC Royals logo..  I'm going thru a bit of a avatar identity crisis.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Roanoker wrote: I went to Troost School, an elementary school in Kansas City. I recall being taught about architectural designs in European churches. The term, "flying buttresses" comes to mind. They were used to hold up the massive walls from the outside, freeing up the inside for column-free activities. I don't see them in the St. Paul Cathedral picture.
The cathedrals in Europe take on a myriad of design forms.  I believe Notre Dame in Paris is the most famous of the type you mentioned.  The pictured cathedral does not use that type of structural support as you correctly surmised.  The scale of the European churches in incredible.  My favorite is in Ulm Bavaria, its not so elaborate or ornate, but its height is dizzying.