Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by Burton »

I'm sure many of those towns that turned their backs on DART in the 80's are probably begging for extensions nowadays. I agree with you that this is going to be a long process that has to overcome a ton of hurdles, but I think we're going to have to try to get something done no matter how difficult it is. Of course, we can't wake up tomorrow and hop on a train from the Plaza to KCI, but we shouldn't turn down the opportunity for the next generation of Kansas Citians to enjoy an efficient, and alternative means of transit.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I am not saying to turn it down either.  But it appears many posters think that since it passed it will be just a few years away from riding the rails.  This is just the first step of many more steps to come.  And sometimes it will be two steps forward and one step back.

We have just started a long and difficult journey.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

But the vote was for the Heart of America Bridge.  So there could be a big fight over changing the route to one that might be better suited for it.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

I really don't think people will make a huge fuss over the route, and which bridge it will go over. I'm guessing 90% of the people that voted yes had no idea of the specifics of the route. They just want this to get done.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Burton wrote: I really don't think people will make a huge fuss over the route, and which bridge it will go over. I'm guessing 90% of the people that voted yes had no idea of the specifics of the route. They just want this to get done.
Right.
"Let's get it!"
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

yes!
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I disagree akp, and like I said, unless someone else says something along those lines, I'm not going to change my mind. You ruined your chances of influencing me with your bad stand on the arena issue.

This will definitely take less than 10 years if we start with 10-15 miles instead of a larger, 20 mile line.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

ShowMeKC wrote: I disagree akp, and like I said, unless someone else says something along those lines, I'm not going to change my mind. You ruined your chances of influencing me with your bad stand on the arena issue.
I don't think anyone's trying to convince you of anything.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

I recently spent three weeks in Houston. The burbs are all upset because a planned extension is not going to their area.

Once you get a base system in place, light rail develops a momentum all its own as different areas compete to be the next area that gets a line.

The key is to get that first 20 miles in place.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I wouldn't be surprised at all if I don't get to ride this thing for ten years. That's fine by me. Its better than nothing at all.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

knucklehead wrote: I recently spent three weeks in Houston. The burbs are all upset because a planned extension is not going to their area.

Once you get a base system in place, light rail develops a momentum all its own as different areas compete to be the next area that gets a line.

The key is to get that first 20 miles in place.
We're doomed. Homeowners and Condo owners property taxes will rise up because of this. Doomed. Doomed.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Paintfumes wrote: We're doomed. Homeowners and Condo owners property taxes will rise up because of this. Doomed. Doomed.
Maybe they'll bulldoze all the bars in the city to make way for the tracks!  Glorious!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Kard wrote: Maybe they'll bulldoze all the bars in the city to make way for the tracks!  Glorious!
I was thinking along the lines of if they could use the old Grayhound bus terminal as the new Jackson county Jail annex.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Burton wrote: I really don't think people will make a huge fuss over the route, and which bridge it will go over. I'm guessing 90% of the people that voted yes had no idea of the specifics of the route. They just want this to get done.
it can't just go over any bridge. Joe Perry never mentioned, it has to have a special bridge to go over because of its extreme weight. To the north of the river, new bridge. From downtown to crowncenter, new bridge and so on.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I dont care what bridge they use. Just to get this thing up and running will be a start. St Louis started with a stretch running from Lambert Field to downtown East St. Louis Ill. Now it runs all the way to Shilo Scott Air Force Base and just opened the Shrewsbury branch a few months ago. KC just needs to get this thing up and running so more construction of branches can begain.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

anniewarbucks wrote: I dont care what bridge they use. Just to get this thing up and running will be a start. St Louis started with a stretch running from Lambert Field to downtown East St. Louis Ill. Now it runs all the way to Shilo Scott Air Force Base and just opened the Shrewsbury branch a few months ago. KC just needs to get this thing up and running so more construction of branches can begain.
Are you talking about street lightrail? Doesn't St. Louis use the train tracks for there lightrail?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Yes. KC will be laying tracks also for this project. So in Lies the term Light Rail.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Paintfumes wrote: it can't just go over any bridge. Joe Perry never mentioned, it has to have a special bridge to go over because of its extreme weight. To the north of the river, new bridge. From downtown to crowncenter, new bridge and so on.
What extreme weight? In Portland, they used one of the oldest RR bridges around to cross the Willamette. No new ones.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

anniewarbucks wrote: Yes. KC will be laying tracks also for this project. So in Lies the term Light Rail.
you don't understand
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

City leaders scratching their heads on how to implement plan

“The will was expressed that it is now time to deal with light rail in Kansas City,â€
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag