Boulevard Beer & Roasterie Coffee

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i've always wondered this...

why the hell doesn't Boulevard Brewing Co. open a brewpub in KC? Schlafly has one in St. Louis, Goose Island in Chi, Anchor Steam in SF, etc. Boulevard is fantastically popular in KC and Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat is certainly my beer of choice, along with Schlafly Hefeweizen.

similarly, i dont get why Roasterie Coffee Co., our hometown coffee makers dont have a coffeeshop (or chain of coffeeshops). i love their coffee. it's a thousand times better than starbucks and the other shops in KC (the ones that dont use Roasterie).

heyyyy, maybe this Kansas City Live thing would be a good place to put them....just a thought.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

there is a Blvd. pub in the airport but not sure that counts.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, no, it doesn't count.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The Roasterie already supplies many of the independent coffee houses and restaurants around town, competing with their own customers probably wouldn't be a good business strategy. Besides, running a successful retail operation is whole different thing than running a manufacturing operation.

I think Boulevard would be the best candidate, especially if they licensed the rights to a reputable local operator like PB&J or similar. The new Downtown entertainment district would be a perfect location since it's likely to draw tourists from much of the same Midwest territory where Boulevard is distributed. Assumming of course that the developers include locally-owned businesses in addition to the inevitable chains.
MC86
New York Life
New York Life

Post by MC86 »

I agree. Boulevard needs a BrewPub. I would be there often.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

What is the precedent for larger brewers having pubs? I know this is typical for micro-brews like the River Market, McCoys, 75th Street, etc, but Boulevard is a regional brewery more inline with the likes of New Belgium. Do other regional or niche-market brewers have pubs of their own? Does Anheiser-Busch have a pub?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

If they both opened locations in KC live, then it would probably boost their business in other locations, cause people would sample their wares and look for them in other places. If they stuck to that one location, then it really would not hurt the other folks who sell their stuff.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Here is what Blvd said on their web site in the FAQs...
Do you take dinner reservations?

No, Boulevard is not a brewpub and we do not have a restaurant. In fact, according to accepted industry nomenclature, we're not even a microbrewery anymore. Because we produce in excess of 15,000 barrels per year, we're now known as a regional specialty brewer.
If they opened a brewpub wouldn't they have to have a microbrew on that facility as well as their main brewery? I'm not sure it would be the same taste and quality if/when they open a KC Live location as everyone is hoping. I also think that if they do open one, they should avoid the tacky Old Chicago/bar food model that is so overused. They should justy open a simple, old-style, corner pub with a few appetizers and a bar.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I agree that it should largely just be a bar, but I see no problem whatsoever with them brewing on the premises. Goose Island has a main brewery, and two brewpubs, and they do very well. I don't see why Boulevard couldn't be just as successful.