The Future of Radio

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

The Future of Radio

Post by ComandanteCero »

www.pandora.com

this is pretty great stuff.  I'm sure some of you have already heard of it.  But i highly recommend this for those of you looking for a different kind of on-line radio station that might help you find new music.  Here's a recent article about the idea of the website in NYTimes and what impact it may (or may not) have on traditional radio, and the usual "taste makers" so to speak: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/03/arts/ ... l?ref=arts

in short:

[quote]At pandora.com visitors are invited to enter the name of their favorite artist or song and to get in return a stream of music with similar “DNA,â€
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Brodees
Ambassador

Re: The Future of Radio

Post by Brodees »

Eerie...I just signed up for it last night and I had it on when opening up this thread.  It really is an awesome source for finding new artists who are similar to your tastes--especially when FM radio is wholly inadequate in this area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i was not very impressed with Pandora when i tried it the first few times, but it's doing a pretty good job for me this morning. 

i put in "Tortoise" and Pandora has taken me down Memory Lane - e.g. freshman/sophomore year of college when i was totally obsessed with post-rock and autumnal drone rock.  it's like a rehash of all my early college radio playlists!!!!  (tortoise, windsor for the derby, american analog set, etc.)

OOPS - spoke too soon...the Music Genome Project just linked up my post-rock with really terrible blues rock, and now i have to create a new station.  puke.  it did really well for a while....
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chrizow wrote: i was not very impressed with Pandora when i tried it the first few times, but it's doing a pretty good job for me this morning. 

i put in "Tortoise" and Pandora has taken me down Memory Lane - e.g. freshman/sophomore year of college when i was totally obsessed with post-rock and autumnal drone rock.  it's like a rehash of all my early college radio playlists!!!!  (tortoise, windsor for the derby, american analog set, etc.)

OOPS - spoke too soon...the Music Genome Project just linked up my post-rock with really terrible blues rock, and now i have to create a new station.  puke.  it did really well for a while....
You can just give a song a thumbs down if you don't like it and Pandora will "learn" from you. And it will skip the song.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I am still partial to the good old fashion AM, FM radio. These XM type of services are for the birds. I am barely hanging with cable. The old stuff is better any day than this new fangled crap. Heck I still have a rotary phone and I like it better than any cordless thing on the market.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
smitherton
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by smitherton »

I have been using Pandora for over 6 months and Love it!!!  it is a great way to pick up on new music. 

Try adding Elton John and Mr. Big to a radio station  :lol:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

shinatoo wrote: You can just give a song a thumbs down if you don't like it and Pandora will "learn" from you. And it will skip the song.
i did, but once it got onto the crappy blues rock, it just kept queuing up more blues rock. 

after that, i had a lot more success.  i find that it helps to pick a song rather than a band.  i got a much more consistent playlist when i selected a specific song.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

You can give it more then one artist, too.  It doesn't really have a lot to go off of with just one.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So i was playing around on Pandora and somehow I went from Arrested Development to Digable Planets to ?Kool Mo Dee?

WTF? Kool Mo Dee? I'm no rap expert but really, is that related?