Weston and KCPL

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
KCDevin

Weston and KCPL

Post by KCDevin »

I heard on the news that KCPL was planning a new plant near Weston, MO (the Iatan plant is the current one)
This new one would produce 900 megawatts of electricity (enough to power 900,000 homes.
In comparison, the New Madrid Power Plant near Cape Girardeau is 1,200 megawatts.

From WDAF:

Discussion To Add Power Plant to Weston
Weston, MO --- Another coal power plant could be in the plans for Weston, Missouri. Kansas City Power and Light has a proposal on the table to bring a second plant to the city. The plant would be powered by a combustion landfill. This plan won't proceed without resistance from residents. The Missouri Department of Natural Resources hosted a public awareness meeting for concerned citizens.
Some of whom are worried about air, water and land pollution, resulting from the smokestacks and landfill leakage. The next step in the process is a site investigation, done by the utility.

I do not think these people realise that alot of the pollution is contained, however air pollution is inevitable. I don't think water and land pollution would be present.

in 2001 from another site:
At the second on-the-record presentation, GPP stated that it is also exploring the possibility of building a 500 MW to 900 MW coal-fired, base‑load generating plant near Weston Bend on the Missouri River. If built, this plant would generate power for sale on the open market. KCPL does not presently anticipate any need to use the output of this plant to meet the needs of its customers. This project is presently in a very early stage and the proposed plant may never be built at all.
-----------------
As a regulated utility, Kansas City Power & Light is required by Missouri law to have electricity available for its customers in a sufficient amount to meet their demand.[23] The Stipulation and Agreement states that Kansas City Power & Light will need additional electricity to meet demand in the near future.
If the building of a coal-fired plant in Weston and additional gas-fired turbines under the ownership of Great Plains Power occurred under the current corporate structure, Kansas City Power & Light would have the ability as the sole shareholder of Great Plains Power to access as much of the electricity generated by Great Plains Power as it needed to meet customer needs. Those transactions would be subject to review by this Commission. Under the proposed structure, Kansas City Power & Light will have no control over the electricity generated by Great Plains Power.
---------------
The Weston plant, if built, will cost hundreds of millions of dollars. It would seem probable that the necessary financing will only be available on the basis of the going concern value of Kansas City Power & Light itself.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Weston and KCPL

Post by QueSi2Opie »

The four best things in Weston...McCormick's Distillery, Pirtle Winery, O'Malley's 1842 Irish Pub, and Celtic singer Connie Dover. They don't need no stinkin' power plant!

Acclaimed by the Boston Globe as "the finest folk ballad singer America has produced since Joan Baez," Her soaring, crystal clear voice and inspired arrangements display a depth and breadth of range that have earned her a rightful place among the world's finest Celtic singers.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Weston and KCPL

Post by bahua »

I'll give her a listen. I hope she's as good as Andrea Corr.
KCDevin

Weston and KCPL

Post by KCDevin »

they already have one, another couldnt hurt.
They were being stupid when they said Kansas City doesnt need another power plant. That is just plain stupid and shows how sheltered they are.
A 900mw plant is enough for 900k people.
Our metro is 2,000,000!
Would they rather have an explosion because of overload or have a bigger one built which produces a little extra?

i just personally thought their comments were stupid and not well researched.
BTW, I have been to Iatan and took pictures (although we were caught by the security guard in the parking lot) and I dunno where they are but I could find them.
I didnt notice anything different when we went there. No pollution emmiting from the stack (well, visually) etc...
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Weston and KCPL

Post by KCK »

Well in KCK there is the Kaw power plant(which is not currently in service), the Quindaro power plant and the Nearman power plant. These plants are just for KCK, Bonner, and Edwardsville. You dont see us running around whining about pollution.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Weston and KCPL

Post by QueSi2Opie »

bahua wrote:I'll give her a listen. I hope she's as good as Andrea Corr.
She sounds more like a Loreena McKinnett.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.