Blue Springs nearly doubles in size?

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Perhaps, but that still doesn't make annexing a good idea.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice map and thoughts!, but I think LS will be even more aggressive than shown. They do plan to add interchanges east of Todd George, as a matter of fact, one is planned for Blackwell with the new Lee’s Summit Hospital going in there. Anyway, I think LS will continue to grow east towards Lone Jack because the land is so flat and easy to develop much like So JoCo. LS and BS will wrap around the lakes and connect and development will also follow I-70 as well. The Little Blue Valley will fill in but stay south of 78. Northern Independence and Sugar Creek will see some light industrial and warehouses, but Buckner will not change much. LS, Raintree, Greenwood etc are already only a few years from connecting to fast growing Cass County subdivisions in Raymore and Pleasant Hill.

It would be really nice if the I-470 area filled in first though, there is still a ton of vacant land east and south of Raytown that could be developed if Noland and Lee’s Summit Roads were widened and flooding issues were dealt with. This would help keep Raytown and other older areas stable and help keep retail in the area. It would also slow down the process of the US-50/I-470 interchange becoming the next Grandview Triangle. Be that’s Kansas City city limits so nothing much will happen there.

Bahua. 200,000 in Raytown??? That would be a tourist attraction! Do you forget you are in the Midwest? Blue Springs was built out or close to it before they annexed.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

200,000 is a bit extreme, but at 20,000 people per square mile, it still isn't as crowded as the more pleasant parts of Chicago, which is also in the midwest.

My point is that in order to keep growing, Blue Springs, or any town, has no need whatsoever to annex more land. Blue Springs has almost 20 square miles to work with, and most of it is very spread out. They should work with that before condemning it to rot by fleeing to the cornfields.

As it is, Blue Springs is already spread out to just over four people per acre.