cingular

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

cingular

Post by warwickland »

is anyone else getting shitty cell reception, or just as often none at all, this week?
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: cingular

Post by kclofter »

I've been having major problems with BlackBerry email reception via Cingular for the last 2 weeks.  Problem has mainly been in Columbia and [this week] Wash DC.  KC has been more reliable, but not spot-on.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Mine's been as usual.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

Okay, on a related note . . .

I need to get a mobile device at work.  I need to make the following decisions:

1) Sprint; or

2) Verizon.

Also:

1) Treo 700w; or

2) 6700.

Any opinions?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

After having Verizon for a years and years, I switched to Sprint.  If I don't commit suicide before my contract is up, I will go back to Verizon in a heartbeat.  I'd rather brush my teeth and then drink orange juice than to have Sprint.
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

AllThingsKC wrote: After having Verizon for a years and years, I switched to Sprint.  If I don't commit suicide before my contract is up, I will go back to Verizon in a heartbeat.  I'd rather brush my teeth and then drink orange juice than to have Sprint.
Sprint is still that terrible? I fired their sorry asses years ago because they were incompetent and half assed. I've been with Cingular since then and it's been much better.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I had Sprint for years and thought their service and product was great.

Their customer service was probably one of the worst experiences I've had in my life and is why I left them.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Exactly.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

In my case both their product and their customer service were terrible.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

No problems with Sprint at all.  I have only found it lacking in extermely rural areas where Verizon has better roaming agreements.  Sprint is more often first to market with new devices and has been an innovator in wireless technology, often to their deterement.  Aside from that, there is obviously the element of the support of the local economy. 

I've been using Sprint since 2003 after switching from Verizon.  Intially, I had some issues in some spots.  During 2005, they spent a kajillion on network improvements and all of my problem spots were eliminated.  I suspect anyone that has major issues with Sprint hasn't used it since it has drastically improved.

Goots, if you can handle the form factor of the 6700 and plan to do web browsing and data work frequently, go with that.  It supports EV-DO which will give you broadband speeds over the network.  Otherwise, I use a Treo 650 and love the form factor.  I don't think the 700w supports EV-DO but it is very well designed.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I've heard complaints about every carrier.  I have Sprint, and they've sucked at times, but recently everything has been fine.  I've been looking at switching or resigning with Sprint, and combined with the various discounts, Sprint is still the best deal on monthly cost vs. what you're getting.

Sprint continues to have a dead spot on 169 around Briarcliff.  Drops a call everytime.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, I've lost calls there too.

I think Sprint's customer service is poor, but I don't really see how they could improve it dramatically, and bad customer service isn't enough of a reason for me to switch to another oligopolistic carrrier.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

When I had Sprint the customer service was terrible and they repeatedly messed up my billing, calling plan, etc.  It would never be the same from month to month.

I have been very happy with Cingular.  They have the best coverage state-wide.  Even in remote parts of the Ozarks there are few parts of Missouri without Cingular service, and it's similar in most other states. With Sprint or T-Mobile you still have little service outside of cities or away from Interstate highways.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

dangerboy wrote: Even in remote parts of the Ozarks there are few parts of Missouri without Cingular service, and it's similar in most other states.
The bizarre thing about cingular is that my phone will struggle to reach two bars of service in kansas city and st. louis, and get dropped calls all the time, expecially lately, but when im around LEBANON, MO back in the woods, i have near to full strength..............
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

warwickland wrote: The bizarre thing about cingular is that my phone will struggle to reach two bars of service in kansas city and st. louis, and get dropped calls all the time, expecially lately, but when im around LEBANON, MO back in the woods, i have near to full strength..............
That could be a temporary capacity problem in those cities.  I have the same problem from time to time and it happens to all wireless companies.  Cingular is usually very good about adding capacity as needed.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

gootsku wrote: Okay, on a related note . . .

I need to get a mobile device at work.  I need to make the following decisions:

1) Sprint; or

2) Verizon.

Also:

1) Treo 700w; or

2) 6700.

Any opinions?
If unlimited data and broadband speeds are a priority, go with Sprint, which charges $15/month for unlimited DO. VZW is about three times as much for DO.

As for the 700w vs. the 6700, it comes down to the form factor that you prefer. I bought a 6700 a few months ago and wouldn't trade it for a 700w. But some people prefer the Treo form factor.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

warwickland wrote: The bizarre thing about cingular is that my phone will struggle to reach two bars of service in kansas city and st. louis, and get dropped calls all the time, expecially lately, but when im around LEBANON, MO back in the woods, i have near to full strength..............
I'm sure you have already done this, but have you taken it in to the cingular place and had them check the software to make sure it is up to date? That happened to me once with my Sprint phone about 4 years ago or so.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

customer service basically sucks at every carrier, and every handset maker has at one time put out a shitty handset riddled with problems. coverage varies by metro area, so bobby jo in chicago will not have the same coverage experience as sally may in salt lake.

tips for being a happy cell phone customer:

1) service your account online (can be said for ANY service provider)
2) read the contract before you sign
3) remember that handset prices are heavily subsidized and that's why you are asked to sign a contract in the first place
4) check a coverage map before you travel