Demand for Organic Food Outstrips Supply in U.S.

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Demand for Organic Food Outstrips Supply in U.S.

Post by nota »

Here's an example of things people are told about food. Tell me which is the accurate fact:
Emblazoned on bread and cereal packaging is the word enriched. They have replaced the naturally-present vitamins with cheap synthetic imitations.
or:
1938 Commercial bakers begin to voluntarily enrich white bread with B vitamins and iron to fight beriberi, pellagra, and other diseases.

1943 The FDA requires bread to be enriched with B vitamins and irons.

1998 Commercial bakers in the U.S. enrich breads with folic acid to reduce the risk of neural tube birth defects.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

...at the end of NOTA's Cited article:
Reader Protest
From an "organic food" fan:

In regards to your comment that organic food is not healthier or safer for you (comments on "juicing") I must say, that is complete BULLSHIT. If you want to eat food that is coated in pesticides, plastic, and vegetable wax, FINE. But don't tell people that farmers who don't use pesticides are QUACKS.

For example, the Web page of the Hartzler Family Dairy—details the history of a company dedicated to pesticide-free food and animal products; I thought you'd like to know there are professional businessmen and worldwide organizations interested in organic farming techniques, as opposed to just a few "QUACKS" who like to overprice their produce. If you check out the site you'll see not all people who prefer organic food are tree-hugging vegetarian wackos who should be dismissed as nutty "quacks."

It is people like you, medical professionals (who should know better) who group organic food with true quackery (like curing cancer with magnets) that really endanger the health of this nation. Granted, this IS America, and you have every right to eat what you want, and even to say you think organic food is overpriced, but don't group organic farmers with "quacks" just because they prefer not to use pesticides. Honestly, is it so nutty to think we would be better off eating food that ISN'T full of chemicals and additives, preservatives and artificial colors? I feel sorry for you. You are so blind to the threat of toxins in your food that colon cancer will probably sneak up on you. You'll tell the doctor, "But I ate a low-fat diet; but I drank my Metamucil everyday; but I stayed away from red meat," but it won't matter. You will subject yourself to chemotherapy (because, being in the medical profession, THAT's the only thing that cures cancer, right?). You'll get sicker and sicker from pumping even more toxins in your body, and when it finally sinks in that maybe you didn't know everything, it will be too late to save you. It's too bad you don't think before you eat. You're fueling your body with poison on a daily basis.

This article was revised on July 17, 2006.

I'm most concerned about taste, not the scientific measurements.
Don't know how you quantify "tastes better" though.
Seems we're talking 2 different things here; small family operations growing heirloom varieties, and the industrialization and corporatization of American Farms and the collision of the 2.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Sounds to me like someone who has swallowed all the organic propaganda hook line and sinker without their own research

I'm not sure who you are talking about, but what qualifies as "their own research." 

I've returned Pollan's book to the library. However, he did cite a USDA study that (IIRC) compared the nutritional content of a carrot grown in FLA vs. a carrot grown in MN.  The carrot from MN had more nutrients.  Well, of course the USDA stopped doing studies like this and now we are supposed to believe that all food - regardless of the inputs - is nutritionally the same. 

Myself, I'll keep building the soil in my vegetable garden with compost and leave the Ortho and Miracle Gro for others. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Thanks for reading the whole link. I thought it was quite nice for the site owner to put the counterpoint on their site too, didnt' you?

With all the conflicting info, it is really hard to decide what is best for you.

For instance, I was in Santa Barbara in March. Went to several farmer's markets. They would have all kinds of booths with all kinds of beautiful veggies and fruits. Strawberries - beautiful strawberries for instance were $1.50 a box at the regular booth and $3.00 a box at the "organic" booth. Both booth's strawberry boxes were in identical flats. Yes, Identical. Maybe DelMonte-I've forgotten the brand, but how on earth does a consumer know that they arent' being scammed. As for me, I bought the regular ones, my friend I was staying with bought the "organic" ones. We even giggled about it over fish tacos in Montecito - it was pretty funny.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

MidtownGrrl wrote:

I'm not sure who you are talking about, but what qualifies as "their own research." 

I've returned Pollan's book to the library. However, he did cite a USDA study that (IIRC) compared the nutritional content of a carrot grown in FLA vs. a carrot grown in MN.  The carrot from MN had more nutrients.  Well, of course the USDA stopped doing studies like this and now we are supposed to believe that all food - regardless of the inputs - is nutritionally the same. 

Myself, I'll keep building the soil in my vegetable garden with compost and leave the Ortho and Miracle Gro for others. 

First, I wasn't addressing you. You seem to have actually done some research. I respect that.

I dont' necessarily respect statements like "Well, of course the USDA stopped doing studies like this and now we are supposed to believe that all food - regardless of the inputs - is nutritionally the same. "  unless there are some FACTS to back it up.

My garden is a combination of organic material and chemical stuff. Works for me. No one says my tomatoes glow in the dark or anything. :lol:
leaf
Pad site
Pad site

Post by leaf »

the article you posted is very interesting.  i read it all.  i am not aware that anyone touting organic farming has argued that the nutritional content of an organic apple is better than a regular apple.  people that argue for organic produce simply note the relatively enviro-friendly production methods and lack of chemicals.  it doesn't take a chemistry degree to understand that a apple free from a dozen chemicals is going to be some degree healthier for you than the same apple doused in chemicals, no matter what the nutritional value is. 

ten years ago, you probably could swallow "organic propoganda" (ha!  like organic farmers have the time or resources to execute a propaganda campaign!) but today "organic" has been hijacked by Big Ag and Big Food and, like usual, they are killing the soul of organic as well as the products.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

nota wrote: First, I wasn't addressing you.
Thanks.  I've just been in some discussions on other sites where no matter what evidence or experience you bring up, the person who doesn't agree with you says 'that research isn't good enough, you still have to proven it to me.'  I don't recall you ever being like that, nota. I'm probably being extra defensive, along with passionate about the topic.

Peace.

8)
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

MidtownGrrl wrote: Thanks.  I've just been in some discussions on other sites where no matter what evidence or experience you bring up, the person who doesn't agree with you says 'that research isn't good enough, you still have to proven it to me.'  I don't recall you ever being like that, nota. I'm probably being extra defensive, along with passionate about the topic.

Peace.

8)
Nah! I do a lot of fighting here because I'm quite passionate about the causes I support too. We're cool.

Since we are cool  ( 8)), can you look up at the bread quotes I made up above and tell me what they say to you? That is why it is so hard for a consumer to really really know the truth.