Getting More Visability for KC

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I keep seeing ads on TV from some of the cable networks advertising cities like Asheville NC, Fayetteville NC, and even a few for Saint Louis.
It would be really cool if Kansas City could get a very professional national ad. It could be on other local stations in the Midwest , satellite and cable, even radio.
I went into the city this weekend to with a friend and his small daughter to see The Nutcracker. I was totally awestruck by the new Christmas lights downtown and all the other things going on.
Using a Holiday theme for visiting and shopping would be great. It could give us a reputation of being a major holiday shopping destination, and become more attractive for retailers to locate here.
It just seems like a fantastic asset the city has that ought to be shared with a lot more of the nation.
………………just a thought.

GIL
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KC does advertise in other cities, I have seen ads in Des Moines and St. Louis. They just don't show the ads here in town.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TV ads? I know MO does ads that feature KC or STL or both....

I know what ads he's talking about, they always seem to be on some high cable channel.....which would be a national feed, not just certain markets.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

In every major city I've been to, the hotel TV channels include a local one on places to eat, things to do, etc. Kind of like the rack of brochures you see in any hotel lobby, except this is video. Does anything like that run in the KC hotels? I've stayed in only one hotel here, the Marriot at KCI, and I don't remember seeing such a channel.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

One of the Few Livable Cities Left

Post by FangKC »

I remember seeing ads for Kansas City back in the early 1970s when I was a kid in NW Missouri. There was a famous campaign that ran in cities all over the country that used the slogan: "Kansas City: One of the few livable cities left."

The 30-second commercial went as follows: (said behind a montage of photos of the city) "There's a city with more public greenspace than San Francisco--including the second largest urban park in America--with more fountains than any place but Rome, more boulevard miles than Paris, and cleaner air than Honolulu. Kansas City: One of the few livable cities left."

Source: Kansas City: An American Story by Rich Montgomery and Shirl Kasper

Not only did the ad run nationwide, it was aired locally as well to bring Kansas Citians on board.

On this forum, it is often said that people living in the suburbs really know little about Kansas City proper, or what it has to offer them. Perhaps it's time to advertise locally again.
There is no fifth destination.