Tapioca Bars in Houston! Are ther Tapioca bars in K.C. ?

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
MontroseNeighborhood
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MontroseNeighborhood »

Tropioca Tea & Coffee Bar, 2808 Milam St. Suite G. Midtown Houston in Little Saigon
Tropioca Tea & Coffee Bar, 2808 Milam St. Suite G. Midtown Houston in Little Saigon

Twist on tapioca
Midtown coffee and tea bar a beverage trend-setter
By DAPHNE ROZEN
Chronicle Correspondent

THE latest beverage craze has rolled into Houston's Midtown at the Tropioca Tea & Coffee Bar, 2808 Milam St. Suite G. It is attracting visitors from near and far by quenching their thirst and satisfying their affinity for tapioca.

"It's not a fad," said Micki Immanivong, who co-owns the café with her husband, James Lam, and brother-in-law, David Lam. "It's definitely a trend."

Often referred to as "tapioca ball drink," "bubble tea," "boba" or "pearl milk tea," this popular beverage originated in the 1980s in Taiwan, where it is still in high demand.

The traditional tapioca drink combines black tea, milk, sugar and, of course, black tapiocaballs -- marble-sized chewy balls made from cassava starch and processed with dark brown sugar. The drinks are served cold or hot in a clear tumbler with a straw big enough to suck up the tapioca balls, which sink to the bottom.

Unlike many tea and tapioca bars dominating the Bellaire area and in an effort to appeal to the American market, Midtown's Tropioca puts a twist on the traditional by serving its tapioca beverages with coffee, green tea, real fruit smoothies and milk shakes.

"(Tropioca is) the first to introduce the tapioca concept this way," Immanivong said. "It's not only a new trend in coffee bars, but it's also a new trend in tapioca bars."

While it was her intention to set Tropioca apart from its competition, Immanivong also hopes customers will "make the drive" from near and far to get their tapioca fix.

Nearly a year since it first opened, it seems Tropioca is, as it is said, fitting the bill.

"I go out of my way to come here," said Carl Norris, a 35-year-old, self-ascribed tapioca addict from the Galleria area. "It's highly addictive in a good way."

And he is not alone. There are many other Tropioca regulars, like 18-year-old Giang Duong from the Galveston area, who travel even further to get their fill of these flavorless -- yet tasty -- tapioca balls.

"Tapioca is great," said Duong, who usually visits Tropioca an average of four times per week. "It's fun because the balls. They taste good."

So, what is it about tapioca that makes it so satisfying? Perhaps, as Immanivong said, it is "all about texture."

"It's all about a chewing addiction," she said. "It makes drinking more fun."

In addition to tapioca beverages, sandwiches and desserts, Tropioca -- which is open daily and nightly and until 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays -- offers customers a smoke-free, alcohol-free atmosphere accompanied by complimentary board and card games, wireless Internet, and local art and music "without feeling there is a time limit."

"I wanted to give people other reasons to choose Tropioca other than drinks," Immanivong said.

Regulars appreciate her efforts.

"It's cozy and you can get online," said Thai tea addict Thu Phan, 21.

Norris' younger brother, Clark, agreed. He said he can sit at Tropioca for hours only drinking one coffee without any problems from management.

"They've always been very nice," he said.

Tropioca presents monthly and bimonthly live local music performances and a monthly open mic night every first Friday. It exhibits local artwork every two months.

In the future, Immanivong said she hopes to combine local music with poetry nights and karaoke with live, instead of recorded, music.

Not only does the café support local artists and musicians, it also provides them with creative inspiration.

In July, the Aurora Picture Show, 800 Aurora St., created a film entitled, "It's a Trend, Not a Fad," a compilation of media art shown at Dean's Credit Closing, 316 Main St.

The film included a short video piece about a character, played by Vinod Hopson, who associates his interest in media art with his addiction to "bubble tea."

For Eileen Maxson, the film's curator and fellow bubble tea enthusiast, tapioca is tops.

For more information about the Tropioca Tea & Coffee Bar, visit http://www.tropioca.com .

(New Article)Tropioca a twist from dull coffee-house scene

Grubbin'

Kelly King

Are the average, everyday, big-chain coffee shops driving you to boredom? Is your view of the usual smoothie spot just a bit played out?

If you answered yes to either of these questions, you should definitely make a visit to Tropioca Tea and Coffee Bar.

Conveniently located at 2808 Milam St., Suite G in Mekong Center Downtown, or Midtown, Tropioca offers an extremely student-friendly environment. There is free wireless Internet access and plenty of cozy space for study groups to gather for cram sessions. The bar has even extended its regular hours to 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays — around finals time, this is like heaven. The bar is open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays while doors open at 9 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. on Sundays.

As if that isn't enough to make a college student jump for joy, what truly separates Tropioca from the average drink bar is the unique menu. Customers can choose from an extensively wide variety of refreshing tropical fruit smoothies, iced coffee and espresso beverages, 14 different flavors of loose-leaf teas, hot fruit blend drinks, flavored coffee and delectable desserts.

Along with the array of thirst-pleasing drinks, Tropioca is reasonably priced, with drinks ranging from $1.50 to $3.50.

Possibly the coolest feature of a cold Tropioca drink is the round, chewy tapioca balls that sit at the bottom of each drink.

With choices of passion fruit, papaya, banana, honeydew, strawberry, pineapple and even avocado, the fruit smoothie selection is nothing short of paradise.

Tropioca's loose-leaf teas and hot fruit blends are certainly fresh delights and rare to find. The iced coffee and espresso drinks come in roasted blends with chocolate or caramel and every drink can be customized to the consumer's liking. Yes, the flavored syrups and requisite espresso shots are also available.

A trip to Tropioca without taking in some dessert would be nice. But it would be even sweeter if you treat yourself to the divine tropical cheesecake or the blissfully light Captain Jacques mousse cake, made with Pandan leaf. Even a scoop of green tea ice cream would melt your sweet tooth.

With all this, Tropioca surpasses the average standards by straying from the usual menu of, say, Starbucks, by adding an inviting Asian flavor to the coffee house scene.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I know this "boba" or "bubble" tea is a big deal nationally and I'm sure there are a number of places to get it within the KC area. There's a newer tea shop in downtown Lawrence, but I think it'll take awhile before people pick up the fad. I've heard it's disgusting.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I've been to Houston (lived in San Antonio for 2 years) and it has its nice areas. But why is it that people in or from Houson seem to have such a big chip on their shoulder? Is the first thing they teach babies to say in Houston, "You know, Houston's the 4th largest city in America". But not the 4th largest metro area, I don't believe. It's also know for its out-of-control sprawl and wild-west approach to city planning and development. Very flat and cluttered with billboards. Overall I didn't find it to be all that attractive of a city. It seems typical of all the other large cities in Texas. A cool downtown, a huge loop freeway and outside of the immediate core, nothing but sprawl, strip malls, billboards and not a whole lot of character.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

2 words:

Texas attitude
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

I know of two Asian restaurants in Kansas City that have "bubble" tea, and there are probably more.

The Chinese restaurant in the heart of Westport, in the strip-mall just behind Chili's has "bubble" tea. And so does The Blue Koy on 39th Street near State Line. Oh, and I think the relatively new Thai restaurant in Westport (where Classic Cup used to be) may also have "bubble" tea.
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i LOVE bubble tea, though i can see how it might not be for everyone.

i've only had bubble tea at Blue Koi in KC but a lot of times coffeeshops and restaurants will have it too.

there is a bubble tea place here in columbia, mo too called Fusion that is really good. mmmmm, jasmine milk tea w/boba.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

ok chrizow- went to blue koi tonight and had the jasmine milk with boba- what the hell are those little brown marshmallowy textured balls - is that the boba? btw it was really good.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I am going to Houston after Christmas, I will have to try it out.
I lived there for five years in the Memorial/Dairy Ashford area.
I love it.
I love the Texas attitude also! :D
Houston and Dallas are a lot like STL and KCMO. They are rivals.
Dallas, however, is not competition without Fort Worth.
Houston is the second largest metro in TX and the 10th (I think) in the USA, between DFW and Atlanta
I know that there seems to be a lot of clutter in the Houston burbs, but there are a lot of very nice upscale areas also.
I think that it is amazing that it is as beautiful as it is, without zoning.

GIL e

PS my daughter was born in Houston, I doubt very seriously if she could tell you what it's population ranking is! :)
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

MN I checked out the montrose area of Houston a few weeks ago. I was pretty impressed. You don't think of areas in Texas being that trendy but it definitely was. The term "metrosexual" seemed to definitely apply here.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Texas has always been pretty up in fashion.
It is the home of Neiman-Marcus and almost all of their major cities have many upscale shops.
When I first moved to KC the first thing I noticed is that the people did not dress up nearly as much as they did, especially in Dallas.
I am not complaining though.
Montrose is a fantastic neighborhod. I think that an adjective for it would hardly be metrosexual though!

:cheers:
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

well either metrosexual or homosexual. and I just say that because I noticed several gay bars and even gay.com billboards. is that the gay area of houston?
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

It is, or has historically has been.
Montrose he the Houston Gay district, and Dallas is Oak Lawn, north of Downtown.
There are a lot of cool places there ........... for everyone.

GIL
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

There was an article in the Olathe paper several months ago about two JoCo rich white guys who had just "discovered" bubble tea on a business trip to southeast Asia and how they were going to introduce it to the metro area with their own new business since you can't get it here. I just had to roll my eyes and chuckle since I knew that the Blue Koi has been serving it for the past couple of years.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcmajik: "boba" = tapioca balls. arent they fun to chew? i like jasmine milk tea because it's creamy and kind of "flowery." beware, though, some flavors of bubble tea are disgusting. i had one in columbia that seriously tasted like mulch, and i had one in chicago that tasted like dirty socks.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

0o0o boba tea..bubble tea..wuteva..god i luv them!!!! theres a new tea house called Tea Drops out in Westport I think, sumwhere out on Pennsylvania. havent been there yet but plan on stoppin by there 1 of these days, havent had boba tea in awhile.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

yeah - i like that boba stuff pretty well. matter of fact we went to tea drops today. it's on pennsylvania between harpos and a hair salon(across the street from porter's and sung son's). i had the mango and my friend had the passion fruit. pretty GOOD stuff.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

Thanks for the info on tea drops, I was unsure exactly where it was located, but I've had passion fruit before and I luv that 1!!! i've only had like 3-4 different flavors so far but the ones i like the best are passion fruit and strawberry kiwi. :)