CNN/Money Magazine's Hottest Towns

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

CNN Money Magazine's Hottest Towns
Whether you like big cities or small towns, these are the most desirable places to live in America.

In the Central Region, Naperville, IL topped the list as hottest town over 100,000 people. Overland Park, KS was ranked 3rd and Olathe, KS was the 4th most desirable place to live.

Also in the Central Region, Woodbury, MN was the hottest town under 100,000. The St. Louis suburbs, Wildwoode, MO and Chesterfield, MO were ranked 3rd and 5th with KC's suburb, Leawood, KS being 8th.

I'm sorry ladies and gents, but you can say that Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Liberty, etc. are hotter and more desirable, however, people relocating to the metro see the national stats/rankings when deciding where to buy a home in Kansas City.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Actually these rating don't mean squat to people relocating to the metro. It's where there real estate agent takes them that matters most. And we all know where that's been for sometime.
Calling a spade a spade.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

ShowME wrote:Actually these rating don't mean squat to people relocating to the metro. It's where there real estate agent takes them that matters most. And we all know where that's been for sometime.
Personally, I think Parkville is the most desirable place to live in the KC metro.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

for my money, nothing but Mission Hills :)

ShowMe is right, it's all about the relators...and we've all heard how they talk down every other part of the metro except JoCo because their companies have such a glut of inventory there.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Money Magazine's ranking is inherently biased toward suburbs, so I don't pay any attention to it anymore. It focuses on places for minivan living, and hence takes greatly into account how good the free schools are, and the crime level. These are two things that most single people don't worry about when they move somewhere, as neither really affects them.

So, when I see someone tout a town as great, by Money Magazine's standards, it's almost guaranteed that I wouldn't want to live there.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

If they are ranking based re-location, then obviously Joco comes out ahead. Most realtors, and especially relocation agencies, automatically steer people there unless they forcefully demand an urban neighborhood or Missouri suburb. I've talked to many newcomers that didn't even learn about the Northland or Lee's Summit until after they moved here, and were then rightly upset that they payed 30% for the same house in Joco.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

We must have some damn good (or bad) realtors if they have contributed so greatly as to make Overland Park 3rd, Olathe 4th, and Leawood 8th in the entire Central Region from Ohio to Kansas.

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Well, it's pretty simple, if you think about it. Move all the incoming wealthy people to a certain suburb, and it won't take long for that suburb to stand out.