I'm Graduated!!

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

I'm Graduated!!

Post by SonicBoi »

Tonight was Graduation for photo school. Um, Does anyone need a photographer's assistant or an inexpensive photpgrapher? :D
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Congrats

Post by FangKC »

Congratulations Sonic. From what photo school did you graduate?

You might try to set up a meeting with the photo editor at the KC Star to see if you can get work as a part-time photographer, or stringer as it's sometimes called. Often times, they hire people do take photos at odd hours when their regular staff doesn't want to work, or at some location that is some distance away and too inconvenient for regular photo staffers.

You should do the same with the photo editor, or editor, of Kansas City Magazine.

You should show your work to someone at the convention and tourism bureau who supervises their publications. They always need freelancers to shoot things.

Finally, contact the public relations or marketing departments of some local companies and hospitals, colleges, etc. They all have in-house publications and many hire photographers on a freelance basis. They always need photographers to shoot awards ceremonies, fundraising events, and other types of corporate parties. They use these types of photos in their in-house publications.

You might join the local chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), and through them you will probably get some type of member list with names and addresses. You can use this to call and inquire what their photo needs are, and set up appointments to show your work.

The other thing to try is calling real estate offices to see if they hire freelance photographers to take photos of houses they are selling, or if they do it themselves.

If you are willing to do weddings, try contacting wedding planners in the city and putting an ad in the local bridal magazine.
There is no fifth destination.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

I'm Graduated!!

Post by SonicBoi »

Thanks! I graduated from Gary Plowman's School of Expanding Photography on the Independence Square. His next (and possably last) quarter starts in January. I'm going to try a photog's assistant position (as soon as I find one) to get my feet wet. I still have a way to go. Several ppl from the class were planning on taking his advanced classes.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Details

Post by FangKC »

Who is this Gary person? What is expanding photography? How much does it cost to go to his classes for a quarter? How many quarters does it require to graduate?
There is no fifth destination.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

I'm Graduated!!

Post by Good2Great »

Congratulations on your recent graduation. Do you have time to give a haircut next Tuesday?
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Details

Post by SonicBoi »

FangKC wrote:Who is this Gary person? What is expanding photography? How much does it cost to go to his classes for a quarter? How many quarters does it require to graduate?
Gary Plowman has been a photographer for years and opened his studio over 30 years ago and has been teaching photography about as long. The name of his school is "School of Expanding Photography" Um, that's just what he named it (it was the 70's alright). One quarter is required (that is the only one, really) and the cost is $20/week for 13 weeks ($260 total! Not bad) You will need a 35mm SLR camera with a normal (typically 50mm) f2 lens. You pay for your own film and processing. He has 4 time slots per week. Just look in the yellow pages under "Photo Schools." His next quarter will probably be his last and it starts early January. Call now!
SonicBoi
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

I'm Graduated!!

Post by SonicBoi »

Good2Great wrote:Congratulations on your recent graduation. Do you have time to give a haircut next Tuesday?
Probably not, unfortunatly. :( I have been slacking on tons of stuff (like the gym) and I have tons of catching up to do. I appriciate the offer, tho.
SonicBoi