GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by GRID »

Posted on Thu, Nov. 20, 2003

Old is new, but it's still progress
I have seen the future and it looks...

Hmmmm. It looks a lot like the present, only sleeker, bigger and with reclining seats.

The future of mass transit in Kansas City is a bus.

Yes, bus service is what we have now. It's what we've had since streetcars disappeared for good in the 1950s. But with light-rail visions in deep freeze, bus service is what we're looking at for some time to come.

That may not be a bad thing. Like many cities, Kansas City is wading into a concept called bus rapid transit. It is bus service repackaged to fit some of the characteristics of a rail line — fixed routes, frequent service, faster trips and a spot of pizzazz.

A rapid transit bus pulled into the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority's exchange plaza at 10th and Main streets about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. It was not, unfortunately, making the city's maiden bus rapid transit run. We're not there yet.

This bus was on its way to Phoenix, which has purchased 56 of the models. Transit officials there agreed to let the bus stop overnight in Kansas City.

The ATA has secured about $11 million in federal funds and is anticipating more. That money, combined with local dollars, should get bus rapid transit started in Kansas City by the end of 2005.

Inside and out, the Phoenix bus was a hit with Kansas City riders. They liked the reclining seats with headrests, overhead racks, optional armrests, and individually adjusted lights and air vents.

“It's more comfortable in there. It feels more relaxed,â€
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well I wish I would have heard about that, I'd like to have seen the BRT that stopped over.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Again, I think you're violating copyright by posting the whole article here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Copyright KC Star

There....i really don't think they care about this website posting articles though...that would be pretty poor.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Yeah...this site actually makes people read the Star!
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

GRID wrote:Posted on Thu, Nov. 20, 2003
A rapid transit bus pulled into the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority's exchange plaza at 10th and Main streets about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. It was not, unfortunately, making the city's maiden bus rapid transit run. We're not there yet.
Bus rapid transit will never get there.

I find it ironic that they chose to display the BRT bus from Phoenix at the 10th & Main transit plaza, when the planned BRT route won't run to 10th & Main. The closest it will get will be 9th & Grand. Why not display it there? Oh, because it's not a great place to hang out and wait for a bus? Duh. Then why run BRT there?

Why won't BRT run through 10th & Main? With the new library and all the housing going in around there, its absence will be even more visible.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

trailerkid wrote:Yeah...this site actually makes people read the Star!
...and internet filesharing makes people buy CDs. Still, the record companies go after their customers with cries of "thief," and the Star still has its terms and conditions. I just think it'd be a good idea for this site to stay on the right side of them.

Oh, and yeah, the BRT definitely should terminate at, or at least hit along its route, the 10th & Main Plaza.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

if i remember correctly there was some rumors printed that 10th and main transit plaza may be moved (but not more than a block or so)... something about making it green prak space/public gathering area close to the new library and apartments. Maybe that is the future of this area and that is why they are not making BRT go there, its the only logical explanation i can think of. I personally think green space would be inviting but of course you'd lose the functionality of a bus stop with such easy access to the new area.

Anyone else here this? It was probably in the Star or Business Journal.

KcTeen
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Dec. 17th Operations Committee Meeting:
Regarding BRT Line, traffic signal improvements from river market to plaza along line.
Note: 34 Traffic Signals/resurfacing/one way to two way/22 million/shelters
traffic signals are to be done as another phase.
Oak May get one lane just for buses.
One line instead of many over several areas.
date of begin: late spring early summer
date of completion: end of year (something is to be completed by June 05)
design already in the works
2nd phase will go farther south and north
Moved to council.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't understand why they don't just convert certain runs of certain routes into BRT lines. For example, you could take the 56 from the Plaza at 12:27 to downtown, or you could wait 25 minutes, and take the 56-BRT instead. It seems to me that this method would be much cheaper than making a whole new route, and all the way over on Oak.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

the line will also be on Main St.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote:I don't understand why they don't just convert certain runs of certain routes into BRT lines. For example, you could take the 56 from the Plaza at 12:27 to downtown, or you could wait 25 minutes, and take the 56-BRT instead. It seems to me that this method would be much cheaper than making a whole new route, and all the way over on Oak.
BRT requires special traffic signals to let the bus keep it green, and much of the route will be in a dedicated lane. Plus another goal is make it more of a permanent, fixed route so that people will be more comfortable depending on it, unlike regular buses where it's difficult to know where/when it runs.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

The ATA web site has a survey posted about two proposed names for BRT. No word on the site on how long the survey will run.

ATA page: http://www.kcata.org/BRTSurvey.html

The actual survey: http://kcatasurvey.willoughbydesign.com/
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Just a question:
Is the work on the Main Street 'bridge' over the railroad tracks behind Union Station related to the BRT line? I can't figure out the purpose of this work, just wondering if someone knew?

KCDowntown
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

I thought these busses were supposed to be sleek, new vehicles.

The images on the site that have the proposed graphics on them look like pretty standard busses to me, and not anything like real rapid transit busses i have seen in other countries (brazil) or on the kcata page.

please tell me they're not skimping on something, or perhaps that the image is not representative of what the BRT vehicles will look like.

carfreekc? any thoughts

kcteen
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Go take the BRT survey....very short, pretty much asking opinions on these two designs:

http://kcatasurvey.willoughbydesign.com/

Teen, I think those buses are just standard graphics, they have talked alot about making the BRT buses more sleek and fresh looking to encourage new ridership.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

BTW, I like MAX much better....more friendly and can see people actually saying "I'm going to take the MAX to the plaza", etc.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

There is no contest...Max is the s@#%
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

agreed about "Max".

I personally think it should say something like:

RIVER MARKET - DOWNTOWN - STATION - CROWN CENTER - PLAZA - BROOKSIDE

or something similar (you get the idea) in big colorful letters on the side so that a passerby or someone in their car looking at the new buses will know exactly where that bus goes and what its all about. Thats one reason many dont take public transit, the perception of complicated routes and the lack of knowledge where it goes. You know?

Also, maybe "EVERY 15 MINUTES" on the side or something about the schedule thats big and readable so you can see it and know instantly the head-way would be kill.

my 2 centavos

kcteen
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

MAX is a good name, but the "Hi I am MAX" thing on the side is too corny and stupid in my opinion. Well at least I think other people will think so.