OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by shinatoo »

Everyting should be closed on sunday. We need more time for introspection in our lives.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

shinatoo wrote: Everyting should be closed on sunday. We need more time for introspection in our lives.
MUST.  CONSUME. 
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

lol, that law is the dumbest sh*t that I've ever seen, i'm a grown man, who is the state of kansas to tell me when i can and can't drink?
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

mister816 wrote: lol, that law is the dumbest sh*t that I've ever seen, i'm a grown man, who is the state of kansas to tell me when i can and can't drink?
Well, generally I agree with the idea of personal responsibility, instead of government-mandated responsibility, but

Restrictions probably do need to be strictly enforced on alcohol consumption, because there are too many people out there that can't handle their liquor, and they are a danger to the rest of us.  That said, I don't see how restricting the alcohol that you purchase and take home with you, before you open it, is a constructive use of time. 

Too many people believe something just for the sake of the belief, instead of actually stopping to use some common sense.  Alcohol is not a bad thing because "drinking on Sunday is disrespectful to the Lord."  Alcohol is bad because too many people can't be responsible with it.  So let's lose the bogus restrictions and focus on the ones that actually help.  People would respect laws and law enforcement more if they'd lose the aspects of it that makes it look foolish.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

hey i was just looking at the renderings and noticed that there is a park built over the highway.  does anyone know if that's still the case or is this just to make the renderings look nicer?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

It's envisioned, but not proposed.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

LCDSI wrote: hey i was just looking at the renderings and noticed that there is a park built over the highway.  does anyone know if that's still the case or is this just to make the renderings look nicer?
I really don't want anything else over the highway. It's hard enought to go under Bartle Hall.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

The highway must be capped. It is going to be capped. Capping it also helps prevent the idiots at MoDOT from making it wider...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KansasCityCraka wrote: I really don't want anything else over the highway. It's hard enought to go under Bartle Hall.
Why?  Claustrophobic?    The road does not get any narrower there than it is anywhere else.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

scooterj wrote: Why?   Claustrophobic?    The road does not get any narrower there than it is anywhere else.
It just seems confusing, The lighting underneath Bartle needs to be improved.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I am not sure if this is old news or not, but I thought I would share it. I have a friend of mine that works for 24 hour fitness, he told me that they plan on opening a location downtown.  He couldn't confirm if it would be in the Power and Light District or not. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KansasCityCraka wrote: It just seems confusing, The lighting underneath Bartle needs to be improved.
670 will never be widened in that area and it shouldn't be widened.  Our downtown has already been destroyed by highways, don't need more.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I hope its not 24 hr fitness. I'd rather see another competitor in the area besides ballys golds and 24 hr.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID wrote: 670 will never be widened in that area and it shouldn't be widened.  Our downtown has already been destroyed by highways, don't need more.
does the traffic flow even justify widening it? it's rarely crowded, although it's not part of my work commute. can anyone else testify?

but, yes... cap that mo'fo!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Originally posted by Highlander:

The pace of the construction for the entertainment district seems painstakingly slow.  Most of the sites are still just dirt lots and this one has yet to poke its head up above ground level save the elevator shaft (or stairwell).  Only explanation I can think of is that Cordish is staggering the construction so that most of the project comes on line at the same time, rather than the other blocks outpacing this block due to the huge parking facility that needs to required extensive excavation prior to construction. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

heard this on 89.3 on the drive home.

it seems the kc council conferred title of the land to Cordish today.  maybe that is why intense construction hasn't started.  maybe the city had to fullfill their obligation on their side of the agreement, ie the city owned garage, land clearance, and site preparation.  also they approved a bond release for over 110 million dollars for this project and named Cordish the official Master Developer. 
maybe now the pace will pick up...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... st=b_ln_hl
The Kansas City Council on Thursday turned over property to the Power & Light District's developer for retail and residential development and named The Cordish Co. as the downtown district's master developer.

The council also approved $115 million of revenue bonds for the nearly $900 million project, termed by the city as the largest public-private collaboration in its history.

The district's first phase, expected to be completed in 2007, will include 425,000 square feet of retail and entertainment space. The second phase will contain 1,500 residential units and nearly 1 million square feet of offices. A timetable for the second phase hasn't been announced.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

voltopt wrote: heard this on 89.3 on the drive home.

it seems the kc council conferred title of the land to Cordish today.  maybe that is why intense construction hasn't started.  maybe the city had to fullfill their obligation on their side of the agreement, ie the city owned garage, land clearance, and site preparation.  also they approved a bond release for over 110 million dollars for this project and named Cordish the official Master Developer. 
maybe now the pace will pick up...
I saw this on Channel 2 last night.  It sounded like Cordish has 30 months to complete there end now that it has been turned over to them.  That would put us in late 2008.  What am I missing?
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

lock&load wrote: I saw this on Channel 2 last night.  It sounded like Cordish has 30 months to complete there end now that it has been turned over to them.  That would put us in late 2008.  What am I missing?
Not missing anything, he does have 30 months to complete all of it.  However, considering how much is being invested we should see incremental progress throughout the next two plus years.  I am sure he'll hold back some development until late in the process so he doesn't flood the market too soon and drive down commercial rents or prices for residential units. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The star article this morning said that the first businesses would be opening in Spring 07.  So much for the thought that they would be getting anything open by fall.