Walking the Broadway bridge

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
cdotspace
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Walking the Broadway bridge

Post by cdotspace »

I live in Columbus Park and work in the Downtown airport. I would love to walk to work but have found that walking the Broadway bridge is to dangerous. I see at least one person walking the bridge almost every day. I realize that the bridge doesn't offer to much for pedestrians, you can get to the airport or Harlem, that's about it. But I also see a lot of people riding bikes around the airport. These folks drive their cars to ride their bikes. Would anyone other then myself support a pedestrian bridge tacked to the side of the Broadway bridge? Kind of like how they added lanes to the old ASB bridge?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Walking the Broadway bridge

Post by staubio »

Absolutely.  A safe ped/bike crossing is something a lot of people are pushing for as our bridges are improved.  You'll find talk about that in other threads.

In regard to getting to the airport, yes, most people do drive there to ride their bikes.  I ride there using the HOA bridge and then cutting through Harlem to the airport.  It works very well as long as you don't get caught up by a slow moving train.  I suspect that would be an option for walking as well.  The HOA bridge is a bit safer walk with its shoulders, but it is pretty long and not terribly pleasant.  A bike would be your best bet.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Driving across the bridge, I see a narrow area alongside the driving lanes as well as down the middle.

I've always thought I would be petrified to walk along there. Are those walking lanes or just part of the bridge?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I had to shoot some footage from that bridge for a PSA I was doing back in my video production days. That sucker really flexes in a disturbing way when you are standing on it and a big truck goes over.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

My mom used to tell us of crossing the rr bridge over the Kaw in Topeka with her brother when she was a girl. when trains came over the bridge, they just hung on to the outside.

I'm waaaaay too much of a weenie for that.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Walking on this bridge is incredibly dangerous, but some desparate people do it because there are few alternatives, especially those living at that motel in Harlem.  I wonder how feasible it would be to tack a bike/ped structure onto the side of this.  The right of way is very tight, and it could be really hard to squeeze in access points on either end.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Isn't it legal to occupy a lane of traffic with a bicycle?
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

bahua wrote: Isn't it legal to occupy a lane of traffic with a bicycle?
Legal, yes. But are you brave enough to do it? I'm not.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

there is one member of this forum, that i will not mention by name, that is all about walking the streets of kansas city, for a living. perhaps you should ask him how he gets across the broaday bridge to go turn tricks off of armour.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D