KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 835
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby longviewmo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:11 pm

WoodDraw wrote:It takes like 15 seconds to FOIA it. I'll do it if no one has. but I assume someone at the star has.


I'm only half-joking, but I don't know if they have enough staff left for that.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27676
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:38 pm

My point is if it was clear, streetcar would have rushed out the proof like they did before. Their silence indicates to me blame is debatable (probably by the insurance honks)

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6009
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby flyingember » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:40 pm

KCPowercat wrote:My point is if it was clear, streetcar would have rushed out the proof like they did before. Their silence indicates to me blame is debatable (probably by the insurance honks)

You’re probably right that it isn’t clear enough to make a claim. Clearly it’s better to move on, fix the train and be done with it publicly.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby WoodDraw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 pm

What was the date and approximate time again? I'll FOIA it. They're not always quick though

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby pash » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 pm

.
Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27676
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:50 am

I mean it seems clear to me....

I don't really care about releasing the video, just observing the difference in the two crashes.

User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2679
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby smh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:39 am

pash wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:My point is if it was clear, streetcar would have rushed out the proof like they did before. Their silence indicates to me blame is debatable (probably by the insurance honks)

What's unclear here? A piece of construction equipment on the sidewalk was jutting out into the street, and the streetcar hit it.


If the equipment was sitting over the track then it's possible the streetcar operator could have seen it and stopped the vehicle before impact. It is possible, therefore, that the streetcar operator bears some fault and any recovery must be reduced in proportion therewith.

/lawyering

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby kcjak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Was the construction equipment being maneuvered by Sherry DeJanes?

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3328
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: South Plaza

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby chingon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm

KCPowercat wrote:I mean it seems clear to me....

I don't really care about releasing the video, just observing the difference in the two crashes.


I think the big difference is one was the first incident. The other one was not, so, no one cares.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27676
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:57 pm

smh wrote:
pash wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:My point is if it was clear, streetcar would have rushed out the proof like they did before. Their silence indicates to me blame is debatable (probably by the insurance honks)

What's unclear here? A piece of construction equipment on the sidewalk was jutting out into the street, and the streetcar hit it.


If the equipment was sitting over the track then it's possible the streetcar operator could have seen it and stopped the vehicle before impact. It is possible, therefore, that the streetcar operator bears some fault and any recovery must be reduced in proportion therewith.

/lawyering


yeah kind of what I was thinking. If that crane was just hanging there the streetcar driver could have been more of a defensive driver. Fault is probably still totally with crane operator as they didn't have the requirements needed to be operating where the streetcar was....all complete guesses though.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12187
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby aknowledgeableperson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am

There is an item call "contributory negligence". I am stopped at an intersection by a red light. The light turns green and I proceed to enter the intersection. Of course I don't look both ways because I now have the green light. I fail to notice a car speeding and it immediately hits me as I enter the intersection. If I would have looked before starting to enter the intersection I would have known the second car was not able to stop. I could have avoided the accident if I didn't enter the intersection even though I had the right-of-way.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6009
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby flyingember » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:50 am

22-23 months remaining until new streetcar delivery

https://twitter.com/TomGerend/status/912691813827465217

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27676
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Still no word on 801 damage. When will ratepayers be told who paid for damage?

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12203
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby FangKC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Port KC Considers Extending Streetcar to Riverfront ‘High Priority,’ Backs Words with Funding, ‘With or Without’ Fed

https://cityscenekc.com/port-kc-considers-extending-streetcar-to-berkley-riverfront-high-priority-promises-substantial-financial-backing/

User avatar
ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby ldai_phs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:41 pm

KCATA employees on the streetcar today doing a poll. They were asking questions about why we used the streetcar, how much we would pay for a ride, and if we would ride if you had to pay. They also said no one is using the mobile app. Then asked if we would use the mobile app of streetcar tickets were on it.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3740
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby beautyfromashes » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:09 pm

The biggest response that I hear from my suburbanite friends when I talk about how popular the streetcar is, is “Just wait til they start charging for it! No one will ride!”. Please don’t make us urban supporters look stupid by charging. Just don’t even research it.

tower
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby tower » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:The biggest response that I hear from my suburbanite friends when I talk about how popular the streetcar is, is “Just wait til they start charging for it! No one will ride!”. Please don’t make us urban supporters look stupid by charging. Just don’t even research it.


They don't even need to do a poll to know it's a horrible idea. Ridership has dropped up to 40% in other cities when they started charging, which reduces the development benefits as well. A streetcar fee isn't even worth considering.

User avatar
ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby ldai_phs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:58 pm

tower wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:The biggest response that I hear from my suburbanite friends when I talk about how popular the streetcar is, is “Just wait til they start charging for it! No one will ride!”. Please don’t make us urban supporters look stupid by charging. Just don’t even research it.


They don't even need to do a poll to know it's a horrible idea. Ridership has dropped up to 40% in other cities when they started charging, which reduces the development benefits as well. A streetcar fee isn't even worth considering.


I was very surprised that this was happening. The surveys were somewhat intrusive also, wanting to know household income, employment, number of cars driven, school location, etc. What does Dave have to say about this?

dnweava
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby dnweava » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am

start charging and I will never ride the streetcar again. Just being honest. I'm not paying for 1/2 mile ride that I can walk in 5 minutes. If it went to the plaza/airport/stadiums/etc then I would consider paying, but I would never pay for the current line.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby WoodDraw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:05 am

dnweava wrote:start charging and I will never ride the streetcar again. Just being honest. I'm not paying for 1/2 mile ride that I can walk in 5 minutes. If it went to the plaza/airport/stadiums/etc then I would consider paying, but I would never pay for the current line.


Agreed. It's barely good enough to ride for free right now.


Return to “Kansas City Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pork Chop and 3 guests