KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by KCPowercat »

What the heck are they doing anyways? We just redid those lights

Oh well, seems the team is getting real life practice on all their scenarios that may stop service.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:So what penalties are in place for construction interrupting service?
the traffic signal work at 20th and main is part of a city project. shall they fine themselves? i supposed you could fine the contractor, but i don't think there's any mechanism for that. i'm assuming they had a track access permit since it's been going on for several days.
There isn't a mechanism to fine anyone as far as I can tell.

The director of public works implements the requirements around doing work, permitting and such
Sec. 64-521. - Standards for work in right-of-way used for streetcars.

In addition to any other provision of this chapter, ROW-users' operations within the right-of-way used for a streetcar service line must comply with all the requirements, technical criteria, and specifications set forth in the streetcar regulations manual promulgated by the director. The director is authorized to administer and enforce the provisions of the streetcar regulations manual, including but not limited to, the use of the right-of-way and permitting. In the event of any conflict or ambiguity between the provisions of this article and the terms and requirements of the streetcar regulations manual, the provisions of the streetcar regulations manual will be controlling.
below opens the 2015 manual and it doesn't mention the words insurance, fee or fine anywhere in it. Is there really not a requirement to hold insurance to cover outage costs incurred, damages or such?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... diSEyIrYog
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

At the very least to be able to recover costs for the extra materials would be smart, since one could argue labor is paid for with the tdd taxes.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Contractors working in the city need proof of insurance, especially when a permit is involved. The incident may not involve the contractor currently working but something to do with the initial construction. If problem is with the initial construction, and normal city practices were followed, the contractor would have a performance and maintenance bond for a period of time, usually 2 to 3 years, after completing construction.
Anyway, the priority is to fix the problem first and then resolve any issues related.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Sunday is going to 3 cars 9am-7pm for summer
https://twitter.com/kcstreetcar/status/ ... 9331166208

Almost half of boarding are at Union Station.
https://twitter.com/kcstreetcar/status/ ... 3083638785

6438 daily average. This is organized Friday to Thursday so the weekend use is at the top

Friday 12230

Friday 6284

Friday 8091
1913- tons of rain, midday to evening shutdown
3303- midday shutdown

https://twitter.com/kcstreetcar/status/ ... 3083638785
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I wonder how much that Union Station figure is inflated by the fact that everyone who boarded on the wrong side of the street, or is just going for a ride for fun, has to get off and then back on.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I suspect over 80% are joy riders on weekends.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:I suspect over 80% are joy riders on weekends.
Last time I rode was last weekend. About half of the train got off at 5th/Walnut and crossed the street to the city market. It looks like people going to the city market are largely parking at Union Station. Crown Center and Pershing are about where the grid changes from the classic N-S priority design with lights every few blocks to a light on every block. So it's a logical point for someone who doesn't like driving downtown to park at.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Because ridership has been so high, the Streetcar Authority board said it would also start exploring the idea of purchasing a fifth vehicle to supplement the existing four-vehicle fleet.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... rylink=cpy
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So is traffic light priority out of the question? As mentioned earlier, traffic priority would have a double benefit - moving more people per hour as well as faster end to end runs. Another streetcar would only add more capacity and still take very long getting end to end.

If my calculations are right, if traffic priority can improve end-end time by about 5 minutes or so, it can move just as many people per hour as adding another car. If improving by more than 5 minutes, could move more people per hour than another car depending on situation.

I would hope there is a CBA being performed to determine which makes more sense - adding another car or adding traffic light priority. From what I can tell, traffic priority should have more serious consideration than another car because of the double benefit. But I don't have all the variables/metrics available to factor.

How long does it take to get end to end during busiest times with high traffic?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

A friend of mine on a streetcar right now said it just got t-boned and posted a picture of a shattered door. From the pic it looks to be northbound at 670.

Don't know if this will be visible but here's the link to the pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/BF43-NjP3-X/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FUCK THIS WEEK!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

pash, if both can happen then great but if one or other, I'm still calculating signal priority should be pursed first. Am basing it on number of passengers moved per hour at peak times with either method (3 trains faster vs 4 trains slower assuming both methods fully loaded with 150 people). But it depends on how long it takes round trip at peak with heavy traffic with or without signal priority. I made some reasonable assumptions and signal priority has the edge, especially if even broader improvement in time due to signal priority.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

scooterj wrote:A friend of mine on a streetcar right now said it just got t-boned and posted a picture of a shattered door. From the pic it looks to be northbound at 670.

Don't know if this will be visible but here's the link to the pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/BF43-NjP3-X/
http://www.kmbc.com/news/car-crashes-in ... paign=kmbc
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I've seen a streetcar driver run red light a couple times. More reason to add signal priority.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

If you really see that happen you should report it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Just turned red that is, but still...
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Pics or it didn't happen.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'd assume some of these problems would have been taken into account before they opened. Hopefully, this is all just some opening bugs to still get worked out. But the streetcar is starting to look like a bit of joke. Wait times, delays, performance... it could be faster, cheaper, and perhaps safer just to drive.

I'll give much more time before I pass judgement though. It's not like Kansas Citians are used to having a streetcar. Take some getting used to. I want this thing to be a success so badly.
KC is the way to be!