KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by mean »

The most vocal people on the internet are people who are mad about something and want to share their indignation with anyone who will listen, so that actually wouldn't be surprising.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

There was another one but it wasn't positive. So, yes ALL of the comments were negative.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:There was another one but it wasn't positive. So, yes ALL of the comments were negative.
Go to KC streetcar on FB. Lots of comments and all positive.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There was a statistic that something like 97% of businesses have increased business because of the streetcar.

It would be ironic if a certain air filter company is doing a ton more foot sales because of it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote:It would be ironic if a certain air filter company is doing a ton more foot sales because of it.
I can do better than that: The actual air filters in use on all four streetcars and at the VMF are purchased directly from her business.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
flyingember wrote:It would be ironic if a certain air filter company is doing a ton more foot sales because of it.
I can do better than that: The actual air filters in use on all four streetcars and at the VMF are purchased directly from her business.
Ha!

What's next, hiring a certain Brookside lawyer to draft the documents to extend the streetcar on the Trolley Trail?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sprint center should buy their rubber stamps from Hanna (who didn't leave KCMO despite threats)
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

flyingember wrote:There was a statistic that something like 97% of businesses have increased business because of the streetcar.

It would be ironic if a certain air filter company is doing a ton more foot sales because of it.
Who do you think the 3% is?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
flyingember wrote:There was a statistic that something like 97% of businesses have increased business because of the streetcar.

Who do you think the 3% is?
If it's still open there's a tiny eatery place at 9th and Wyandotte. I picture it being a horribly small place like that.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Some place(s) that would have seen decreased business no matter what...or maybe they would have normally seen a 10% decrease but because of the streetcar they only saw a 2% decrease in business :)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I thought bumping Sunday til 10 was odd, do people not go to the market until later?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:I thought bumping Sunday til 10 was odd, do people not go to the market until later?
it's less about early morning market activity than it is about stronger afternoon activity.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

10am for three train coverage seems right

Everything open later on Sunday and closes earlier. There's also a lot that's not open Sunday downtown. So immediately you have less places to go. Your traditional early morning church service is going to play a bigger part into hours open than not.

There's a lot more basic economic value to gain from places staying open later that don't today vs trying to get more 8am business that may not occur no matter what.

Carollos is 6am Sat, 8am Sun
Bloom is 7 vs 8
Yoki is 7:30 vs 10
The commercial produce is 5-6 vs 7
Arabia is 10 vs 12
Coffee house in market is 6vs 7
Opera house coffee is 7am every day except Sun at 8
Cascones 6:30 vs 8:30
Chinatown opens 30 earlier Sat vs rest of week
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:10am for three train coverage seems right

Everything open later on Sunday and closes earlier. There's also a lot that's not open Sunday downtown. So immediately you have less places to go. Your traditional early morning church service is going to play a bigger part into hours open than not.

There's a lot more basic economic value to gain from places staying open later that don't today vs trying to get more 8am business that may not occur no matter what.

Carollos is 6am Sat, 8am Sun
Bloom is 7 vs 8
Yoki is 7:30 vs 10
The commercial produce is 5-6 vs 7
Arabia is 10 vs 12
Coffee house in market is 6vs 7
Opera house coffee is 7am every day except Sun at 8
Cascones 6:30 vs 8:30
Chinatown opens 30 earlier Sat vs rest of week

Wut?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Read the star article and then the posts after it.

There was a question if redoing Sunday service the way that's happening makes sense and I agree it does because most stores that do open do so later.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

So with the addition of two more vehicles, what's the plan on how they'll be used? Lower headway times, or just allow for better matenance?

Downtown was pretty crowded last night, but in the crossroads I walked out of Nara and the streetcar was 12 minutes away, which I automatically add a few minutes to. So I walked north and the next stop said 2 minutes, so I waited. 5+ minutes later it got there, and it was me and one other dude on there. And i probably could have walked home in roughly the same amount of time.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

You have a three minute walk home and you waited for a streetcar?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

shinatoo wrote:You have a three minute walk home and you waited for a streetcar?
No, and I'm struggling to see how you got that from my post. I was just saying it's often quicker to walk down main than wait, and that the estimated times are awful.

I'm a supporter of the streetcar, but let's not obsess over it so much we forget its weaknesses.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

On the topic of weaknesses, have there been any reports (or hushed reports, unreported claims) of crimes at streetcar stops or say pick-pocketing on crammed streetcars? Just wondering, haven't seen anything.

This is just one recent STL incident...
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 1da91.html