Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by earthling »

Here is it on Google Maps...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+S ... 542300!3e3

Google recommends this bus/streetcar combo to get from Plaza to City Market...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Country ... 00!3e3!5i1
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

earthling wrote:Here is it on Google Maps...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+S ... 542300!3e3

Google recommends this bus/streetcar combo to get from Plaza to City Market...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Country ... 00!3e3!5i1
I just really dorked out over that. Like giddy shit-eating grin at the computer dorked out.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

scooterj wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Am I incorrect in thinking there would be something like this?

http://ridekc.org/assets/uploads/route- ... maxswk.pdf
you are incorrect. no printed schedule. you will be able to plan a trip on google, which will use the actual operating schedule with formal timepoints.
I just scrolled ahead to 6am tomorrow in Google Maps directions from City Market to Union Station and got giddy seeing it there.
Just scrolled back a page and saw this. Glad I'm not the only child here. Maybe Tony is right after all...
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Has there been a Clay Chastain sighting on the train?

Found parking less than a block from the train this Saturday morning.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Mr. Tony couldn't find anything much negative to say except that the carnival was empty Friday afternoon. While people are at work and kids are in school...

And it's too slow. On that one amazingly someone in the comments would rather the city spend the streetcar money (that's already obligated is irrelevant) removing stop lights on US 71. In case you wondered if there's people that still don't understand who owns what in the city there's you're proof.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

My logic isn't perfect but...

For the train size and system size the streetcar got to half the use to scale of the London Underground this weekend.

1.3 billion annual riders. They have 270 stations so 4.8 million per station per year. Per day that's 13,000 per station.

But the trains are approx 5x as large. So that's 2600 per station adjusted for train size.
KC has 10 station equivalents and carried 12k the first day? So that's 1200 per station on average.

That makes the numbers look that much more impressive.

2k daily isn't anywhere near that scope but for a big event the point there's room for growth is clearly true. Our small line can hold capacity comparable to some of the larger systems when you adjust the scope of each system.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So push to request a stop, streetcar isn't too busy....do I push the door button or should the operator open the doors (front door specifically in this case)?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So the system is now a couple of days old. I'd be interested in hearing how opening day went, how ridership has been over the weekend, are there any new system glitches still being worked out. Would love to see an expansion in the very near future - I am not getting younger and all future plans evolve around living somewhere in KC's urban core.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

For reference, these are the original first year daily ridership numbers from back in 2012. Thought it's interesting to see how use differs in the real world.

The one that's way under is the Walnut St stop. 25 people per day on average is clearly crazy low. The city market will beat forecasts easily with only 120 daily daily riders total over the year.

16th with the new hotel is going to be another winner.

3rd- 51
Delaware- 43
Walnut- 25
8th- 208
10th- 499
12th- 811
14th 248
16th- 84
18th- 141
20th- 243
US- 333
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote:So the system is now a couple of days old. I'd be interested in hearing how opening day went, how ridership has been over the weekend, are there any new system glitches still being worked out. Would love to see an expansion in the very near future - I am not getting younger and all future plans evolve around living somewhere in KC's urban core.
Overall everything I've heard/experienced has been great. Trains were (over)loaded all Friday and all Saturday...I didn't ride at all Saturday, lines at stops were insane. It was a great idea for the authority to have a crowd control officer at each stop to help everyone queue. Police riding the line was nice as well. The streetcar link MAX buses were a great idea. I could see that being used in the future for huge events.

Only glitch I know of was Saturday around 3pm. I'm not completely sure what happened but supposedly one train was disabled for a bit which made the train behind it stop as well. A couple people complained (according to internet accounts) that they had to walk and the buses didn't come soon enough to pick them up.

Every other comment I heard on board was around expansion. Of course those who braved crowds this weekend were pro-streetcar anyways but it was great to hear that conversation over and over.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _ridership

Updated Wiki page for US Lightrail systems. Feel free to add or change any info.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _ridership

Updated Wiki page for US Lightrail systems. Feel free to add or change any info.
I think the system diagram is finally good on this page. Got the Union Station stop fixed and no one has reverted it yet.
I added some early operations information today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KC_Streetcar
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Heard today from on board officer that two doors were disabled by body pressure from crowds on Friday/saturday.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:So push to request a stop, streetcar isn't too busy....do I push the door button or should the operator open the doors (front door specifically in this case)?
no harm at all in pressing the STOP button -- shown below -- even if it's still stopping at them all. best to get in the habit! you should hear a chime shortly after you press it; it's a different chime than the rest you've heard.

if the door doesn't open immediately after the streetcar comes to a complete stop, no harm in pressing the open button on the doors.

worse case, just wave at the operator or shout that you want to exit.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I've seen the mayor and a couple councilmembers imply that they want citizens to speak up and make expansion happen. I took this as them wanting it to get done by petition. I'm assuming something is in the works but where are we on that?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:I've seen the mayor and a couple councilmembers imply that they want citizens to speak up and make expansion happen. I took this as them wanting it to get done by petition. I'm assuming something is in the works but where are we on that?
you'll need to drown out the naysayers a lot more, especially after the airport poll came back so bad. my assumption is that it has spooked everyone, as if the electorate has somehow turned on a dime and is suddenly no longer progressive when it comes to taxation (sort of forgetting that the airport vote wouldn't have increased taxes).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:So push to request a stop, streetcar isn't too busy....do I push the door button or should the operator open the doors (front door specifically in this case)?
no harm at all in pressing the STOP button -- shown below -- even if it's still stopping at them all. best to get in the habit! you should hear a chime shortly after you press it; it's a different chime than the rest you've heard.

if the door doesn't open immediately after the streetcar comes to a complete stop, no harm in pressing the open button on the doors.

worse case, just wave at the operator or shout that you want to exit.
10-4. Seems like the operators are opening the middle doors but not the ends automatically.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I found it annoying that you had to push the button to open the doors to get out at stops, especially since it was crowded and hard to get to the button.

Also I've heard the streetcar was 250k under budget, can we use that money for a canopy at the north loop stations, had to wait in the rain for 10 minutes today....

Also the estimated arrival time display board seemed to not be accurate at all.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.