KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:north loop
Tower won’t sell and won’t say what their plans are, but I know they’ve been approached. They control both sides of Main south of 70. I suspect they are land banking for downtown baseball, since Commerce is a big supporter of the Royals and Downtown Council.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

DaveKCMO wrote:Name a lot and I can tell you why it’s not developed yet.
Calvert's, any of Nicholson's remaining plots, that club next to Michael's fine clothing
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hartliss wrote:Calvert's
Supposedly for sale in 2016 for $2.75 million, or $158.24 per square foot. The adjacent redevelopment between them and the Hampton Inn fell through for reasons that aren't known to me, but those parcels are for sale for $1.7 million ($146.54 per square foot): http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 16842.html

So chalk those up to price gouging.
any of Nicholson's remaining plots
The first hint of something was leaked (?) on this development map near the Kauffman Center stop (apartments):

The Hampton Inn project near there is being built without parking -- on a surface lot that Nicholson purchased from nearby lofts -- so that should lead you to what's planned for the area immediately south of there. I also hinted around at it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20111
that club next to Michael's fine clothing
Still stuck in tax limbo. The buyer is still this guy, but the sale hasn't cleared: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 38113.html
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How long do you think it will take for the property owner parking lots on Main (Lead Bank, Centric, etc) to start being too expensive to have as parking and be developed? And who owns the big lots around Anton’s? That’s probably the biggest break in development along the line.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:How long do you think it will take for the property owner parking lots on Main (Lead Bank, Centric, etc) to start being too expensive to have as parking and be developed? And who owns the big lots around Anton’s? That’s probably the biggest break in development along the line.
Probably 20-30 years.

It’s not the land being too expensive to carry, it’s getting an offer greater than the value as parking
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Probably 20-30 years.

It’s not the land being too expensive to carry, it’s getting an offer greater than the value as parking
It is Kansas City though. Let’s add a decade or two and call it good.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:north loop
Tower won’t sell and won’t say what their plans are, but I know they’ve been approached. They control both sides of Main south of 70. I suspect they are land banking for downtown baseball, since Commerce is a big supporter of the Royals and Downtown Council.
Great. So they will sit on that valuable land for another 15-20 only to turn around and ask for massive tax breaks IF the team even elects to move to DT
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

hartliss wrote:
Calvert's, any of Nicholson's remaining plots, that club next to Michael's fine clothing
Dave, what about surface lots north and south of 17th (Anton's and think big lots)?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hartliss wrote:
hartliss wrote:
Dave, what about surface lots north and south of 17th (Anton's and think big lots)?
Nicholson owns to the south (see previous post), Helzberg owns to the north. I actually don't know what Helzberg has planned for that lot -- we don't talk -- but she has the capital to do pretty much anything she wants for the right tenant. I know for awhile it was reserved for symphony musicians (and just a pay lot other times), but I think that was before the Webster Garage opened.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://twitter.com/TomGerend/status/994406240506777600
New data is in and it is good news for downtown business. FY18 downtown @kcstreetcar TDD sales tax receipts up 12.4% over record FY17 levels. District receipts now up 85% from FY14.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Hey Dave, what happens if we start taking on more money than we need? Can that money be refunded, or are we not to the point if needing to think of that yet?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And how will those excess funds downrown created over expected be comingled with the larger tdd ? I'm all for sharing but .....
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:And how will those excess funds downrown created over expected be comingled with the larger tdd ? I'm all for sharing but .....
Hopefully, it will be used for Cap Ex like additional train sets.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote:Hey Dave, what happens if we start taking on more money than we need? Can that money be refunded, or are we not to the point if needing to think of that yet?
As I recall the election set maximum rates and the board can vote to lower tax rates.

There's plenty that could be done other than buying a train

Build up a healthy rainy day fund
Paying the bonds down quicker (though the bond terms determine if this is doable)
Purchasing things like additional spare parts
Hiring an extra maintenance tech to improve turnaround speed
Hiring extra drivers to increase operating hours
Stop improvements like larger shelters to handle crowds better
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Has anything the anti-streetcar toy train crowd said come true?

Your challenge today is to play devils advocate and try to find something negative about the streetcar that was predicted. I'm having trouble finding anything other than problems finding parking. Crowds would be a problem but they predicted poor ridership so that doesn't count.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Doesn't go anywhere is very true for many
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Doesn't go anywhere is very true for many
While this is true on its face, it's not a negative that came true.

This one was arguing it wasn't going to get riders and be successful because it wasn't going enough places to induce people to ride.
Not going many places didn't end up being a negative that impacted ridership.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote:Hey Dave, what happens if we start taking on more money than we need? Can that money be refunded, or are we not to the point if needing to think of that yet?
That's already the case downtown, to the tune of about $1 million per year (and growing). Since the KCSA board is made up of different types of ratepayers -- commercial (UMB/DST/Copaken/Boulevard), residential (me/Sunflower), and institutions (Union Station/KCMO/TDD/PortKC) -- we're a good representation of the greater population of ratepayers. As such, every time we reinvest excess funds we make sure we check with all types of ratepayers to make sure we're not overstepping. So far, no one has blinked at the additional investments. Not sure how long that will last, but we do make effort to represent!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

glad to hear everybody involved is looking longterm not "hey we are making money, let's cut my rate a dime"
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Is there anyway we could get you guys to start publishing everything you do instead of having to file foia requests? I feel like you're far more secretive then you have any justification of being.