City Hall
City Hall

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:
HalcyonKC wrote:
mykn wrote:Well the streetcar is just for a bunch of drunk hipsters /sueburke
I enjoyed the pouting picture of Sue.

I sense that Sue is the type of person who is determined not to be pleased about anything.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is on target about the business opportunity. A smart business owner would take advantage of this situation. But not in the way you describe. The smart thing for Sue to do is to wait until the value of her building increases, and sell it to a developer for re-use as loft, office, and some street-level retail space. Because of its' location, and the streetcar line, her building will likely go up in value. Then take her money from the sale, and buy a cheap warehouse building in an industrial area--maybe along Truman Road, and run her air filter business from there. The property taxes might even end up being less.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It definitely won't sell high to someone wanting to sell air filters but she is zoned DC so should be good to go for a reuse.

City grew around her and she took advantage of cheap land and building. Time to cash in and move to a more reasonable location for her business model.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

It really all depends on if the increased value of her property will cover the opportunity costs (implicit and explicit) of moving to a new location and investing in new capital.

It's hard to make that assessment from an outside perspective.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:The smart thing for Sue to do is to wait until the value of her building increases, and sell it to a developer for re-use as loft, office, and some street-level retail space. Because of its' location, and the streetcar line, her building will likely go up in value. Then take her money from the sale, and buy a cheap warehouse building in an industrial area--maybe along Truman Road, and run her air filter business from there. The property taxes might even end up being less.
She wants to do just that.

https://twitter.com/susie_burke/status/ ... 4626620416
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:
chingon wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I wasn't a fan of them listing Matt and Dave's ages... What was the point of that?
The point was to show they aren't dingy, starry-eyed 20-somethings who just got back from their 6-month "I'm moving to Portland" sojourn, but rather that they are old. Disgustingly old.
I took their ages being mentioned as still being in the starry eyed age....why not mention everyone's age in the article?
I took it as the opposite. Ages included to indicate that they aren't 22 y.o.s fresh off the college boat. They're longtime Kansas Citians.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:
FangKC wrote:The smart thing for Sue to do is to wait until the value of her building increases, and sell it to a developer for re-use as loft, office, and some street-level retail space. Because of its' location, and the streetcar line, her building will likely go up in value. Then take her money from the sale, and buy a cheap warehouse building in an industrial area--maybe along Truman Road, and run her air filter business from there. The property taxes might even end up being less.

I'd like to buy her building, but unfortunately she's blocked me on Twitter.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just realized why Pershing to 20th is closed... To queue up the trains.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:It definitely won't sell high to someone wanting to sell air filters but she is zoned DC so should be good to go for a reuse.

City grew around her and she took advantage of cheap land and building. Time to cash in and move to a more reasonable location for her business model.
Exactly. I suspect it wasn't just the streetcar that had her pissed off. It's got to be a low margin business and its tough to operate one of those out of a rapidly gentrifying area. She really needs to be in some location like Armourdale in KCK well beyond the even most ambitious urbanite's dream of homesteading. My father runs a restaurant supply business, he'd hate having his warehouse in the river market too.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:
flyingember wrote:

I'd like to buy her building, but unfortunately she's blocked me on Twitter.
she was implying she wants like $1.2 million for it. The county appraises low but they call it $250k.

That's some premium. It would be amazing if that's a real number because the entire neighborhood's value would be skyrocketing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Restaurants along the streetcar route are ready for the system to go live

http://www.pitch.com/food-drink/article ... to-go-live
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

My girlfriend is an art teacher for a local K-8 school, and the kids in (I think) 4th grade are currently making KC pride postcards. They turned out great, and it was really cool to see how many of them included the streetcar already without it even being official yet. We certainly have the older "toy train" crowd, but the younger "toy train" crowd sure seems to be proud of their new toy! I'll be interested to hear the anecdotal stories from the raggers who live in the downtown area over the next few weeks. I'd imagine exploration of downtown by people who obviously don't live here will really expand beyond the usual park-near-the-P&L-and-leave crowd.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bobbyhawks wrote:My girlfriend is an art teacher for a local K-8 school, and the kids in (I think) 4th grade are currently making KC pride postcards. They turned out great, and it was really cool to see how many of them included the streetcar already without it even being official yet. We certainly have the older "toy train" crowd, but the younger "toy train" crowd sure seems to be proud of their new toy! I'll be interested to hear the anecdotal stories from the raggers who live in the downtown area over the next few weeks. I'd imagine exploration of downtown by people who obviously don't live here will really expand beyond the usual park-near-the-P&L-and-leave crowd.
I've been pleased this week by just how many friends already have weekend plans, or plans for next week, that involve taking the streetcar. My wife, for example, is taking her mother to brunch Sunday for Mother's Day and they intend to ride the streetcar to the restaurant.

EDIT: Which, I should add, is a trip they would have likely otherwise driven.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So about that published schedule....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:So about that published schedule....
huh?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Am I incorrect in thinking there would be something like this?

http://ridekc.org/assets/uploads/route- ... maxswk.pdf
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Am I incorrect in thinking there would be something like this?

you are incorrect. no printed schedule. you will be able to plan a trip on google, which will use the actual operating schedule with formal timepoints.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cool....that's what I do 99% of the time anyways.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I can't believe that in one day I'm going to ride the streetcar.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Am I incorrect in thinking there would be something like this?

you are incorrect. no printed schedule. you will be able to plan a trip on google, which will use the actual operating schedule with formal timepoints.
I just scrolled ahead to 6am tomorrow in Google Maps directions from City Market to Union Station and got giddy seeing it there.