KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2677
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby smh » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Honestly, if you live right by a streetcar stop WoodDraw you should be using itsab.us. I too live and work near a stop and I always use it to time my arrival to the station. Rarely wait more than a minute, two tops. But I feel you re: stopping at red lights--it's BS that we could easily solve from what I hear if the powers that be at KCMO were on board (so to speak).

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5971
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby flyingember » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:13 pm

It's hard, there's no doubt about it.
I figure there's several million possible paths across downtown and there's no possible way to manually tune downtown to handle any of them.

Our problems come from trying to do too much manually. The real smart city doesn't care about who someone is or if they're in a car, bus or train, it cares about getting people off the streets. It should be able to see a group of pedestrians well before the intersection and be cycling signals 30 seconds before they get there. It should learn based on schedules and events, like if 100 cars turn into a garage near the Sprint Center on an event night that it needs to be tuning things to have them all cross the street soon

Oh, this is very, very hard, but if the city isn't aiming for this it's not becoming a smart city.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 904
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby WoodDraw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:23 pm

smh wrote:Honestly, if you live right by a streetcar stop WoodDraw you should be using itsab.us. I too live and work near a stop and I always use it to time my arrival to the station. Rarely wait more than a minute, two tops. But I feel you re: stopping at red lights--it's BS that we could easily solve from what I hear if the powers that be at KCMO were on board (so to speak).


This is true and a fair criticism.

I often complain here as a devil's advocate.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15623
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby DaveKCMO » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
smh wrote:Honestly, if you live right by a streetcar stop WoodDraw you should be using itsab.us. I too live and work near a stop and I always use it to time my arrival to the station. Rarely wait more than a minute, two tops. But I feel you re: stopping at red lights--it's BS that we could easily solve from what I hear if the powers that be at KCMO were on board (so to speak).


This is true and a fair criticism.

I often complain here as a devil's advocate.


um, i'm gonna call bullshit and say this is a bit more than "devil's advocate":

It's also horribly unreliable.

KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am
Location: River Market

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby KCtonic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 am

Have to scratch my head on the "unreliable" comment. I ride the streetcar almost daily multiple times a day typically and live right along the streetcar line. It's been very reliable with very few exceptions. Especially compared to my experiences with other mass transit. I just need it to expand...

I have found the "app" pretty unreliable especially in the past few weeks, but the streetcar schedule has been very regular and frequent which is what really matters to me.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15623
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby DaveKCMO » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

KCtonic wrote:I have found the "app" pretty unreliable especially in the past few weeks, but the streetcar schedule has been very regular and frequent which is what really matters to me.


there is a known issue with the android "KCityPost" app. iOS works fine. you can always track vehicles here: https://itsab.us/tracker/

KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am
Location: River Market

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby KCtonic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:52 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCtonic wrote:I have found the "app" pretty unreliable especially in the past few weeks, but the streetcar schedule has been very regular and frequent which is what really matters to me.


there is a known issue with the android "KCityPost" app. iOS works fine. you can always track vehicles here: https://itsab.us/tracker/


Thanks - definitely been using that android app. Forgot about that link and will start using it instead.

JBmidtown
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby JBmidtown » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:21 pm

I also just need it to expand already. The Troost MAX and Main MAX work fine as commuting option but they're not spurring the kind of redevelopment and density the streetcar extension will bring.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 904
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby WoodDraw » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:
smh wrote:Honestly, if you live right by a streetcar stop WoodDraw you should be using itsab.us. I too live and work near a stop and I always use it to time my arrival to the station. Rarely wait more than a minute, two tops. But I feel you re: stopping at red lights--it's BS that we could easily solve from what I hear if the powers that be at KCMO were on board (so to speak).


This is true and a fair criticism.

I often complain here as a devil's advocate.


um, i'm gonna call bullshit and say this is a bit more than "devil's advocate":

It's also horribly unreliable.


That's fair, and I don't think I do a very good job expressing my problems with it. I should probably stop instinctively posting and do a better job of writing out actionable issues. It's a fair criticism.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15623
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby DaveKCMO » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 pm

803 should be back in service soon. have had quite a bit of two-car service lately. frustrating, i know, but the team is doing a great job getting the cars back into service when crashes happen. those two new cars can't get here soon enough!

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27639
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Will we ever know the responsible party for the last two crashes? Seems that should be made public for the ratepayers to know what is costing us cash.

Not being pushy just wondering the process as we knew the teenage kids crash complete with video within the week.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15623
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby DaveKCMO » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 pm

KCPowercat wrote:Will we ever know the responsible party for the last two crashes? Seems that should be made public for the ratepayers to know what is costing us cash.

Not being pushy just wondering the process as we knew the teenage kids crash complete with video within the week.


make a sunshine act request. i don't even know the deets.

User avatar
ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby ldai_phs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Is there a place to see the financials of the streetcar group

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15623
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby DaveKCMO » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:38 pm

ldai_phs wrote:Is there a place to see the financials of the streetcar group


there's a streetcar section in the city's annual budget: https://data.kcmo.org/Budget/FY-2016-17 ... /jkcu-25gm

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5971
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Postby flyingember » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:Is there a place to see the financials of the streetcar group


there's a streetcar section in the city's annual budget: https://data.kcmo.org/Budget/FY-2016-17 ... /jkcu-25gm


Spoilers:

four tax sources have have helped fund the streetcar
TDD taxes
Public Transit sales tax
Capital Improvements sales tax
General fund

The fourth one was a tiny percentage of one year and isn't currently being used.
What I didn't expect is two citywide taxes is/has been helping pay for the train


Return to “Kansas City Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests