Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by loftguy »

Day 7-Complaints that it's too crowded.....please kill me now
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Rockfest does now mention streetcar in parking FAQ.
I'm intrigued. How is the system going to handle tomorrow?

opening weekend was 35k in three days
rockfest is 50k in one day and it looks like about a third of their parking will rely on the streetcar. now imagine if a large percentage park south and try to go drinking downtown after their band plays.

it could be bigger than Friday
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The complaints I'm getting is not full, rather trains not showing up for "30 minutes" *

* I take that with a grain of salt... I'm guessing just impatient than actually 30 minutes.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... rants.html
This week, Extra Virgin has noticed a second lunch rush around 1:30 p.m., and Smith hopes the already solid lunch crowd will continue to grow. With the streetcar in full swing, it gives area employees more access to restaurants and eliminates hassle; finding a parking spot alone can eat up 15 minutes of your lunch break, he said.

"I don't think it's necessarily the ridership that's going to change our business – the train only goes 2.2 miles, although that will present us with new customers and different customers. It's really the development (that the streetcar has spurred)."

It's led to building renovations, with new offices and residential living, and a number of planned hotels. About five hotels are being developed within a two- to three-block radius of the restaurant, he said. And having a fixed streetcar line is a signal to tourists that the area along the route is the place to be.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Man even with the data in his face, Mike doesn't want to credit the streetcar because it "doesn't go anywhere"... Crazy.

I was also told this week that affare told customers they are done doing lunch.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote:Man even with the data in his face, Mike doesn't want to credit the streetcar
That quote is priceless.

Distillation: "The new and different customers we are getting from the streetcar will not change our business, but the new and different customers brought by the streetcar that brings those new and different customers will."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The non new customers are sure finding it easy to eat at my restaurant now.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The biggest complaint I've gotten from it has to do with wait times. People are waiting for 15 minutes, then not having room to board due to the crowd, then having to wait for another 15 minutes. Also, I guess there some confusion over the arrival times posted at the stops.

It's great that the streetcar is being used. But people are asking why don't have more cars yet. I'm like it's been less than week, people!
KC is the way to be!
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

AllThingsKC wrote:The biggest complaint I've gotten from it has to do with wait times. People are waiting for 15 minutes, then not having room to board due to the crowd, then having to wait for another 15 minutes. Also, I guess there some confusion over the arrival times posted at the stops.

It's great that the streetcar is being used. But people are asking why don't have more cars yet. I'm like it's been less than week, people!
Most people are grown babies that I'm surprised are even capable of wiping their poopy butts and putting pants on in the morning. Yesterday when I got off the streetcar at Union Station (met my dad for lunch) I heard someone honestly say "the streetcar's nice but it could really use some hand sanitizer pumps". Idiots.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kansas city: learning to 'city' since 2016.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Have spent a lot of time in NYC as if living there (as in get to know many locals and brother has lived there for 15 years). Have run across people who fear touching public things. Many carry sanitizer wipes. Some don't like to use transit (cab when they have to, avoid subway/buses/trains). Not due to fear of disease but some would rather cab than walk a few blocks. Some fear the subway but OK with buses/cab. Some would rather pay for parking/drive in the city than train in. You find every combination of fear out there.

Those who want sanitizer pumps out in public should carry their own wipes.
DaveKCMO wrote:kansas city: learning to 'city' since 2016.
Speaking of, many in KC could learn some city etiquette. Not picking on just KC but these are some basics many don't know...
- wait until others get off elevator/train before entering
- stay on right of busy sidewalks/escalators
- keep dog short on leash on sidewalks with people
- exit bus from rear
- drivers yield to pedestrians in crosswalks (that don't have traffic lights)
- drivers look to right before turning right (pedestrian might be there)
- learn to parallel park
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote:-
drivers yield to pedestrians in crosswalks (that don't have traffic lights)
- drivers look to right before turning right (pedestrian might be there)
- learn to parallel park
Two very pervasive problems in the US in general. With the streetcar coming into its own in KC, I suspect the number of pedestrians on streets within the urban core will increase substantially.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

6,975 rides on friday, may 13.

yesterday was also the first evening for late night MAX service, connecting to streetcar at union station until 2am.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Lunch time is a real bear right now... I get a daily complaint from an office worker about how long they waited and eventually gave up.
Will say my wife, who is as pro streetcar as they come, noted extended waits at lunch and a general rumbling of people on the platform.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Via text from River Market friend, sounds like delays earlier today with frustrated overpacked crowds, trains bunched together a times. Did 50K for Rockfest in addition to very high City Market crowd overload the system? Are all 4 trains running? No buses as backup plan?
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Perhaps KC is too Midwest polite for public transportation. Observing today it appears they are waiting for all the passengers to be seated before moving. In most cities it is survival of the fittest and a time limit is applied before the doors automatically close. Also, some of the loading areas are to close to the intersections causing traffic to be stuck against side street traffic.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

zlohban wrote:Perhaps KC is too Midwest polite for public transportation. Observing today it appears they are waiting for all the passengers to be seated before moving. In most cities it is survival of the fittest and a time limit is applied before the doors automatically close. Also, some of the loading areas are to close to the intersections causing traffic to be stuck against side street traffic.
The only system I have rode elsewhere with that level of politeness was New Orleans and they bunched up trains and you just planned for long crazy big gaps

My sister in law had her daily start and end both at a train stop and she rode her bike. Couldn't rely on the system
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

My wife's first response when being shown the new Smart kiosks, "Do you know how many people have touched that?!" Smh
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Via text from River Market friend, sounds like delays earlier today with frustrated overpacked crowds, trains bunched together a times. Did 50K for Rockfest in addition to very high City Market crowd overload the system? Are all 4 trains running? No buses as backup plan?
three cars running 7a-4p tomorrow (sunday). that's more than the 'normal' schedule of two all day.

as for overcrowding, there's isn't much to be done in the short term (other than adding buses, which was not budgeted beyond grand opening). the fourth car was always intended to be a spare, which allows needed maintenance of the whole fleet. a potential fifth vehicle would take 18-24 months to deliver and is also not budgeted.

can't even charge a fare since there's no equipment to do so. i really did not predict it to be quite so popular! you can help by getting yourselves on/off the vehicles quickly.

rest assured that any transit route this overloaded will experience delays. passenger loading/unloading are typically the #1 source of delays.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

My wedding photographer posted this image from a wedding she shot this past weekend that you streetcar folks might enjoy. She's also a pretty talented photographer outside of just wedding shoots. Photo credit to Morgan Miller Photography.