KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:continuing to snip away signal priority. one of the two systems was activated today.
also, real time arrival signs should be back on some time today.
expect some discussion about possibly purchasing a 5th vehicle...

Good news on possible 5th vehicle. However the time it takes along the route is more of an issue methinks than headways for time being. Signal priority should maybe be resolved before 5th vehicle.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

DaveKCMO, What's the max number of cars that can be serviced by the Singleton facility? If the need arises, could expansion occur there or would a new facility (perhaps elsewhere on the line) be required?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote:DaveKCMO, What's the max number of cars that can be serviced by the Singleton facility? If the need arises, could expansion occur there or would a new facility (perhaps elsewhere on the line) be required?
i believe the site will accommodate 12 (with improvements). i doubt a second VMF would be needed just to go to UMKC.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

If these ridership numbers stay this consistent (I know they won't but just sayin') that's ~2.3 million+ rides a year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

1) not all trains are showing up on itsab.us all evening.
2) second day in a row hitting the stop button doesn't return an audible signal or a "stop requested" on the overhead displays (not sure that ever happened)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:1) not all trains are showing up on itsab.us all evening.
2) second day in a row hitting the stop button doesn't return an audible signal or a "stop requested" on the overhead displays (not sure that ever happened)
there is a known issue with vehicles 'disappearing' that only affects the real-time arrivals. they're working on a fix. my understanding is that this unique to streetcar right now (versus MAX). three vehicles should show at all times, unless it's sunday or a holiday.

you won't hear the 'stop requested' sound if someone hits it before you do (just like the bus 'stop requested' message). if you still think there's a problem, note the vehicle number and tweet to @KCstreetcar (vehicle number is next to the operator cab door). it's good you're getting in the habit of requesting a stop!

if you end up waiting longer than 10-15 minutes, please tweet @KCstreetcar as well with your direction and stop name (northbound library, etc).

six days old and counting...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

JBmidtown wrote:If these ridership numbers stay this consistent (I know they won't but just sayin') that's ~2.3 million+ rides a year.
The target is a about 980k annually. that's how far off from expectations the first week has been. Watch Sunday. With only every 18 service, if it stays above 3k it would be hard to argue it's a fad.

The second most popular stop was planned to be the least busy, it's running 20x expected demand on a weekday. That's not even in the same ballpark of a guess. That's almost three weeks of expectation in one day.

Now imagine what the hotel opening at 16th will do to numbers next month. Use of the line should jump by at least a hundred rides per day right there, on average. That's another 35k+ annually if I'm right.

The idea that it could reach 8000-13000 daily riders with the plaza segment added could be another under estimation. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the numbers just downtown by the time that expansion opens in 2022. There's just too much coming.

Remember how I said that there was no way to do big 12 with just two trains running? That I thought three was stretching it and we needed four running. I didn't think it might not be manageable with four, but that's looking to be a big possibility for next year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks Dave....does the visual "stop requested" scroll on the LEDs like the MAX? I'm trying to be a good button pusher even though I don't want to!

I was watching itsab.us today after work trying to make sure I didn't miss one and the train that arrived wasn't on the site....after I posted this all 3 started showing back up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's get 805 ordered!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Thanks Dave....does the visual "stop requested" scroll on the LEDs like the MAX? I'm trying to be a good button pusher even though I don't want to!

I was watching itsab.us today after work trying to make sure I didn't miss one and the train that arrived wasn't on the site....after I posted this all 3 started showing back up.
i'll inquire about 'stop requested'. good idea!

the operators and supervisor are communicating with each other to avoid 'bunching'. i don't get briefed on every operational issue, so i'll assume they were dealing with a blockage.

welcome to day seven!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Rockfest is tomorrow. Expect big train use, this is an event that always stresses nearby parking.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Rockfest does now mention streetcar in parking FAQ.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Rockfest does now mention streetcar in parking FAQ.
http://www.rockfestkc.com/wp-content/up ... ng_NEW.pdf

they did get the stops wrong, they added this in February and put the stops the way they were planned back in 2014.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Just took the streetcar for the first time - co-worker and I decided to try Il Lazzarone and hopped on at Union Station. Unfortunately, we sat in the vehicle for 30 minutes with no explanation, so had to get off in P&L in order to eat and make it back in time for a meeting. We ate at BRGR and every vehicle we were on or saw go by was PACKED!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Driver announcements would be helpful. Guessing they were avoiding bunching of traffic ahead....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yes, a good rule of thumb is that if you're stopped for more than a traffic signal or to let people on/off there is a blockage somewhere on the system (or really heavy passenger loads). same thing if you're waiting at a stop for more than 15 minutes. that's why it's very important that we remind others not to block the tracks, even if they don't see a streetcar coming.

ridership exceeded 5,000 on thursday, btw.

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Dave - Just curious, how are the riderships calculated? Are these very rough estimates or are there sensors that know when a person has walked through the door to board the car?
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Dave - Just curious, how are the riderships calculated? Are these very rough estimates or are there sensors that know when a person has walked through the door to board the car?
And how does it account for people getting off?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

miz.jordan17 wrote:
PumpkinStalker wrote:Dave - Just curious, how are the riderships calculated? Are these very rough estimates or are there sensors that know when a person has walked through the door to board the car?
And how does it account for people getting off?
infrared sensors in each door assume everyone that gets on will eventually get off.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lunch time is a real bear right now... I get a daily complaint from an office worker about how long they waited and eventually gave up.