KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO »

yes, back-in angled parking with a station on the east side of the street @ 4th. travel lane remains the same (southbound only).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2013/02/ ... lling.html
"Dave Helling is missing the point. The property tax part is not a tax, it is a special assessment. Those are always voted on by property owners except this time. And the sales tax part of the suit is about the stacking of multiple transportation taxes on each other."
Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. I don't know much about special assessments.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Again, I'm going on the assumption that if this had any validity, someone brighter than these two bulbs would have thought of this and filed suit first.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also, it isn't a special assessment.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote:Also, it isn't a special assessment.
So TKC has it wrong? Whaaaaaaat?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I know, I know: first time for everything.

For those who want to read up here's a nice PDF by Armstrong Teasdale: http://www.armstrongteasdale.com/files/ ... 3877-1.PDF

In fact the Missouri TDD Act does allow for special assessments...in a separate subsection from the subsections allowing for the levy of property taxes and sales taxes. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C200-299/2380000230.HTM
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

good point on twitter from NPSG MAX tour

"wind and rain blow from different directions"

none of the example stations designs so far account for this simple idea.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

flyingember wrote:good point on twitter from NPSG MAX tour

"wind and rain blow from different directions"

none of the example stations designs so far account for this simple idea.
Curious if they referenced a good design for these things. I was thinking about this this morning when I drove past the 39th and Troost transit hub. The MAX stops are better than the old 3-sided shelters, but at the same time don't seem very sheltering.

Edit: Ha, I just read your Tweet recap the MAX tour. Didn't realize the writer was praising the MAX stations.
Last edited by chaglang on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The above grade portion of the stations (shelters) haven't been designed yet.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Kansas City: Expedite hearing to dismiss streetcar suit
In a motion to dismiss filed Friday, the Kansas City Downtown Streetcar Transportation Development District said the suit is hampering efforts to issue bonds for the project.
Bob Henderson and Doug Stone of Polsinelli Shughart PC represent the district. They said a 30-day window for challenges to the election has expired.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ng-to.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

is there going to be a landscaping plan with the project?

there's some segments of the route which have non-existent landscaping, such as north 3rd and Grand, around Union Station, at Truman Road, through the crossroads.

trees are a simple way to make the stops inviting, they serve as wind and sun blocks

look at Main 7th to 8th, Baltimore 9th to 10th for two good models. My personal favorite is that Baltimore segment, there's more trees than parking spots along the street
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Collison: Streetcars carry ‘oddball’ label at Smart Growth conference
Many people believe that to be truly useful it will have to be extended south on Main Street as far as the Country Club Plaza and University of Missouri-Kansas City.

But there are big questions. Will the limited taxing zone downtown be extended down Main? Would they be separate districts or combined to form one, larger taxing base? Or will the city leaders go back to voters and seek a citywide funding source?

And does a streetcar basically intended for circulating people downtown have enough capacity to serve a route linking greater downtown with midtown and the Plaza?

And what about building lasting partnerships?
TonysKC takes aim at one of our own:

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2013/02/ ... as_11.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that's nothing compared to what sue burke repeatedly said about downtowners in the star comment section.

the TDD is a political subdivision. as such, its ratepayers and board members might actually say something political.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:Collison: Streetcars carry ‘oddball’ label at Smart Growth conference
Many people believe that to be truly useful it will have to be extended south on Main Street as far as the Country Club Plaza and University of Missouri-Kansas City.

But there are big questions. Will the limited taxing zone downtown be extended down Main? Would they be separate districts or combined to form one, larger taxing base? Or will the city leaders go back to voters and seek a citywide funding source?

And does a streetcar basically intended for circulating people downtown have enough capacity to serve a route linking greater downtown with midtown and the Plaza?

And what about building lasting partnerships?
TonysKC takes aim at one of our own:

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2013/02/ ... as_11.html
In that screen cap, Tony blacked out my reply to Staubio. I'm still small potatoes!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Sue got to the point she started to lie everywhere.

In my capacity as a citizen of KC I started letting news reporters that quoted her know that I found her to be untrustworthy and gave my brief evidence.
They like feedback to know if their pieces are seen as fair or not and pick who they quote based on that.

she at least did a decent job of not attacking people, just made misleading claims

I read the Tony's comments and it's just personal attack after personal attack. When someone stoops to that level it tells you they know they've grabbing for relevance they lost. (or never had)

I also like the conflicting combination of people against it. The lawsuit claims what's legally needed for downtown property owners isn't being done because only residents could vote yet the "insider" says what's needed for downtown residents isn't being done by the board members who are mostly property owners.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Let's be real. Everyone and their buddy knows that this project is just another government sponsored graft program that benefit groups like the Heavies, developers, lawyers, city hall denizen's and their cronies.

It has nothing to do with improving transportation in K.C.

Waste all that money for 2 miles. Nothing else it can be.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

flyingember wrote:
I read the Tony's comments and it's just personal attack after personal attack. When someone stoops to that level it tells you they know they've grabbing for relevance they lost. (or never had)
From the comments:
If the food at Grinders was mediocre that would be an improvement. The toy train is a debacle unless they are going to drive it into a gas chamber on Niggers Ride Free day.
I like how one comment that Staub isn't going to Grinders means he is "organizing a boycott."
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Joe Smith wrote:Let's be real. Everyone and their buddy knows that this project is just another government sponsored graft program that benefit groups like the Heavies, developers, lawyers, city hall denizen's and their cronies.

You forgot to put /s.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Joe Smith wrote:Let's be real. Everyone and their buddy knows that this project is just another government sponsored graft program that benefit groups like the Heavies, developers, lawyers, city hall denizen's and their cronies.

If you want to protest something, protest this. It provides a service that already exists to the tune of 600 million dollars. That is 6x the cost of the streetcar. And it duplicates service along 8 existing lineal miles of highway.

http://voices.kansascity.com/entries/wa ... on-county/

Who does this benefit? The heavies, lawyers, JOCO cronies and denizens, developers, etc?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It's an outrage that someone might make money building something.