KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by KCPowercat »

Can someone break down how the sales tax is split up for say a beer at Flying Saucer after the streetcar passes?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pash wrote:It's just an addition of one percentage point, isn't it? So your beer would cost an extra 7¢ or so.
I'm well aware of how much another 1 cent tax will add, I got that much math in me :). I'm looking for the entire breakdown (4% state, XX% City, XX% etc)...I can't seem to find it.
Although I've heard some people suggest an additional TDD sales tax would be invalid in the Power & Light district. P&L already has a sales-tax overlay and there's some question about whether the TDD statue allows an additional increase. So maybe your beer wouldn't cost anything more than it does today.
Hmmm, I hadn't heard this but sounds like plausible.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Can someone break down how the sales tax is split up for say a beer at Flying Saucer after the streetcar passes?
luckily the city has a nice document the finance department puts out. I think it's from 2011 so I added the August sales tax item to the list. almost half goes to KC stuff.

3.0% general MO
1.0% education MO
0.125% conservation MO
0.1% parks and soil MO
0.5% Jackson County
0.25% general misc Jackson Co
0.375 stadium Jackson Co
0.125 Zoo tax Jackson Co
1.0% capital improvement KC
0.5% mass transit KC
0.375% KCATA KC
0.25% fire fighters KC
0.25% public safety KC
0.5% for parks/streets KC
1% for KC Live
1% for streetcar

if my math is correct, 10.35%

the counterpoint is the state shows the rate staying the same. did another sales tax expire since July? take 0.5% off if something did.

+ 2.0% prepared foods KC in certain areas. not sure if beer is prepared of if it applies to P&L

http://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/Finance/index.htm
sales and property tax rates document. P&L is the 1200 main CID
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KCPowercat wrote:
pash wrote:It's just an addition of one percentage point, isn't it? So your beer would cost an extra 7¢ or so.
I'm well aware of how much another 1 cent tax will add, I got that much math in me :). I'm looking for the entire breakdown (4% state, XX% City, XX% etc)...I can't seem to find it.
Although I've heard some people suggest an additional TDD sales tax would be invalid in the Power & Light district. P&L already has a sales-tax overlay and there's some question about whether the TDD statue allows an additional increase. So maybe your beer wouldn't cost anything more than it does today.
I heard it on Ruckus, where the one person that holds a more Tea Party/Conservative line stated the same thing, but his take is that someone could take it to the courts if it does go into effect. Not sure if that is plausible or not, since a judge approved the TDD for the Streetcar and the P&L district stated that they would not opt out of the tax.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks. Nice work!

This helps with talking to a few voters...and as an aside, I think this may be the max our general sales tax can get to downtown....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Pork Chop wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
I heard it on Ruckus, where the one person that holds a more Tea Party/Conservative line stated the same thing, but his take is that someone could take it to the courts if it does go into effect. Not sure if that is plausible or not, since a judge approved the TDD for the Streetcar and the P&L district stated that they would not opt out of the tax.
I really have no idea...just seemed like that "rule" would exist that two TDDs couldn't be on the same plot of land. I hope it's not actually.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

actually, the streetcar looks to overlay two if the Performing Arts TDD is also downtown.

I really doubt you couldn't have two as long as they serve different purposes.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

flyingember wrote:actually, the streetcar looks to overlay two if the Performing Arts TDD is also downtown.

I really doubt you couldn't have two as long as they serve different purposes.
Maybe Dave can shed some light on this...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:Although I've heard some people suggest an additional TDD sales tax would be invalid in the Power & Light district. P&L already has a sales-tax overlay and there's some question about whether the TDD statue allows an additional increase.
completely false, propagated by anti-tax conservative woody whats-his-name on last week's Ruckus. oh, the whisper campaign...

cordish opted *in* to the sales tax. TDDs can overlay; the courts or legislature have not ruled to the contrary (which is what it would take). either way, they'd still be on the hook for assessments on property. perhaps one of raggers or TKC commenters could school the city's top development attorney.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... power.html

kauffman center is a CID, not a TDD.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Here is a direct link to the document with taxing districts rates.

http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/finance/ ... 100960.pdf

Also, found this while browsing- EDC report on TIF projects/plan from 2010. just interesting (to me at least :D )

http://edckc.com/docs/TIF/annualreports/TAR2010.pdf
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

figured out my tax math confusion.

0.5% parks tax goes into effect Jan 1. thus the state hasn't added it on yet to their tax rates document So 10.35% will be correct Jan 1 with a streetcar 1% too.

that's about the same as Chicago and their sales tax rate sure doesn't keep people from visiting there. I doubt it will in KC either.

more people would notice paying for a streetcar ride long before most people notice the sales tax rate. On the same token, I bet a lot of people buy a multi-day transit pass on vacation for convenience too even if paying per ride would be cheaper. A couple rides worth of cost is worth not needing to deal with fumbling for money. I sure do. I barely broke even in NOLA, I was ahead in Chicago and I left with money on the card in Boston.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

thought to encourage use on principal.

while it's free put up a sign at each station with something like. "free rides funded thanks to the -TDD name-" (but more diplomatic/legally approved). we need a notice sign so everyone from out of town knows it's free and to thank downtown

then coordinate in a voluntary item. ask establishments to put up a sign stating. A portion of the cost of your purchase will proudly help fund the KC Streetcar"

if people know they're paying for the system at lunch or dinner they'll be more likely to use what they're paying for just based on principal. there's a lot of people like that.

and once they've used it once they're more likely to again, and to wonder why it can't go to X.
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -vote.html
The Jackson County Circuit Court on Tuesday said that 730 people had filed applications to vote in the mail-in election by the 5 p.m. deadline. Elections officials still must certify that all of the applications are valid, a process that could take several days and probably will result in a smaller voter pool.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Was that McLanahan again in the Star editorial? Geez what an ass.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/02/38 ... etcar.html
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

grovester wrote:Was that McLanahan again in the Star editorial? Geez what an ass.

Someone should keep this editorial on record and bring it back out around 2017 just to compare the outcome of the streetcar.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

kcjak wrote:
grovester wrote:Was that McLanahan again in the Star editorial? Geez what an ass.

Someone should keep this editorial on record and bring it back out around 2017 just to compare the outcome of the streetcar.

Can you imagine the restaint that Kevin Collison has to use, in order not to kick the living shit out of this "editorialist" in the KC Star mens room?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kcjak wrote:

PDF saved. Calendar event created.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Sue came out again.

apparently she has a destination 1 mile away picked out.

that's KCK or NKC.

I'm hoping she picked KCK because NKC has been known to vote yes on transit initiatives.

not that KCK is against transit. If KC came and said, they'd put a line from downtown KCK through the bottoms into downtown KCMO if KCK helps I bet there's be a yes vote. I don't doubt both cities would like to see the bottoms thrive.