Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by flyingember »

And Q2 is dead. As expected turnout mattered.

need to see precinct data, but it looks like the anti-transit east side came out en mass for the minimum wage item and voted down the train.

Bodes poorly for the airport.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://twitter.com/KCMikeMahoney/statu ... 0892801024
Transit activist Clay Chastain launches ‘Green Transit Systewm’ petition drive. Continue 3/8 sales tax now used for ATA system for another 25 years for more energy efficient streetcars and rail system. Wants a 2018 vote
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Ffs.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Clay Chastain is the local performance-art version of Groundhog Day.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

swid wrote:Clay Chastain is the local performance-art version of Groundhog Day.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If only he(or others) proposed city-wide plans that can actually be implemented.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

In today's political climate, the only way this passes is if the transit system is powered by coal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Well, it is electricity.............
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCRTA learned a big lesson in August 2017: Chastain is poison, no matter how salvageable his plan may appear. No one should sign this petition, and no one should vote for it should it make to the ballot.

I thought the election board had revoked his KCMO voter registration? He must have someone else triggering the petition (Richard Tolbert?) and collecting signatures -- you have to be a registered KCMO voter to do both.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

This is stupid af, but I'll probably still vote for it or abstain.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

tower wrote:This is stupid af, but I'll probably still vote for it or abstain.
Please abstain.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

DaveKCMO wrote:
tower wrote:This is stupid af, but I'll probably still vote for it or abstain.
Please abstain.
I probably will. Unfortunately, he'll probably keep coming back with proposals even if no one votes for him.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote:KCRTA learned a big lesson in August 2017: Chastain is poison, no matter how salvageable his plan may appear.
They should have asked me. Could have saved them the pain of learning through experience.

Chastain's reappearance doesn't surprise me in the slightest. He will do this until he is too old to do it any longer but will never gain any traction in KC.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Booo Chastain, is there any legal way to get him to stop. He is poisining chances for legitimate transport
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote:Booo Chastain, is there any legal way to get him to stop. He is poisining chances for legitimate transport
Nope. Petitions are the kind of thing that you can't stop someone from submitting. It's like running for office. We need to be able to have any yahoo submit a petition because there's no way to draw a line that doesn't cause problems

The issue here isn't the petition, it's that he's allowed to associate with people in KC who could submit a petition even if he couldn't.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote:
Riverite wrote:Booo Chastain, is there any legal way to get him to stop. He is poisining chances for legitimate transport
Nope. Petitions are the kind of thing that you can't stop someone from submitting. It's like running for office. We need to be able to have any yahoo submit a petition because there's no way to draw a line that doesn't cause problems

The issue here isn't the petition, it's that he's allowed to associate with people in KC who could submit a petition even if he couldn't.
I don't mind the petition process but I disagree in that there are plenty of ways to draw lines. Here are changes that I think are desperately needed.

1) Increase the threshold it takes to get a petition passed. I cannot remember what the percentage of votes from the last election is but its ridiculously small. KC has to undergo threats from mob rule every year as a result.

2) If trying to implement an idea, the idea has to be feasible (e.g., Clay Chastain must provide information to prove his transit system can be built with proposed funding before it can be placed on the ballot).

3) If the petitioners have been deemed to mislead the public, the petition is no longer valid.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, all they have to do is change the charter. I think STL requires a certain percentage of registered voters, not just of those that voted in off year elections. That seems like a reasonable compromise.

Allowing pre-election legal review would be smart too, but you'd have to get that passed the MO supreme court.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote:1) Increase the threshold it takes to get a petition passed. I cannot remember what the percentage of votes from the last election is but its ridiculously small. KC has to undergo threats from mob rule every year as a result.
This should be a relatively light lift, you just need the Council to act and get the charter question in front of voters. The current requirement is 5% of turnout in the last mayoral election (current threshold: 1,708 signatures). Up the percentage or require that signatures be gathered in all six districts (similar to a statewide petition initiative). Right now a petitioner can gather signatures in one place.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

gondolas again lol
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote:gondolas again lol
And they'll only carry four people each. WTF?

Also, he seeks to steal the 3/8-cent bus tax that funds 40% of current service. His August 2017 plan didn't do that, so this sounds like a 2006 redux (the only plan that passed).

Again, I beg of you all do not sign and do not vote yes. We have momentum with streetcar and are on the cusp of a regional investment (which this is not).