Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

Caycee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by Caycee »

This battle will be long and drawn out with the KC voters getting screwed.  :(
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Come on folks, Clay's plan really is unworkable.  But I'm happy it passed.  It shows the people are so ready for real transit that they'll vote for a bad plan over no plan at all.  It also shows that KCMO voters are tired of dicking around with suburbs that don't want to participate anyway.  They're ready to go forward with or without the rest of the region.

This is going to the force the politicians go finally do something real about this issue.  They can't shoot down this plan without coming up with something of their own.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

MidtownCat wrote: So, let me understand this, it's "unconstitutional" to make changes to a plan that has recieved ballot approval, but it is "constitutional" for the city council to reject the plan entirely.

Makes perfect sense.

My thoughts exactly.
markf
New York Life
New York Life

Post by markf »

I have to agree with dangerboy.  I'm glad that a majority of voters have agreed there is a need for transit.  Now we need to figure out what we can do with this.  The real debate must begin when reality hits.  $35 million per mile?  Not likely.  Federal matching funds?  Not likely.  A need for a dedicated spur to the Zoo?  Gondolas?

The optimist in me says there is something that can be done with this.

Sometimes democracy works in strange ways.  I may not agree with the outcome but the voters have spoken.
"Here!" shall of course be short for "Here I am, rock you like a hurricane."
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

If Denver can get a 4 BILLION DOLLAR extension to their system, we have to make sure KC can get some kind of starter line going. If the city is so against this Chastain proposal, can't they just pull out the 2001 KCATA plan, and go forward with that one?
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

I don't know if Chastain will play a major role in the light rail development. I also don't think that we would necessarily want his involvement because he isn't an elected official or part of the area transit authority.  The future of this lies with the City, and they have an obligation to the voters to follow through on this. If City officials attempt to kill the development, I hope that each one will be held accountable by the voters and regulatory oversight.

The public, and local interst groups like this one can do a lot to remind City officials of their obligation. I respect the opinions of those on this forum who opposed the plan; these other perspectives voice concerns that are important, but I would contend are not unresolvable.  And I can't believe that the experiences of other cities can't be incorporated into Kansas City's light rail development in best practice and lessons learned. In short, Kansas City, the ATA, the Regional Transit Alliance and MARC need to get their pencils sharpened and MAKE IT WORK. If these people aren't up to it, shame on them-each and every one campaigned on their own competence to run City government, well, now is the time to prove it.

Kansas City Light Rail can begin by:

1. Committing to the 3/8ths extension.
2. Committing to the route
3. Adapt the plan if necessary to what has worked in other cities
4. Build the first increment of Light Rail Spine where it will provide the most immediate use and benefit.

We on this forum can make our collective voices heard. I hope that those on the forum who didn't support the plan will join with the rest of us and offer ideas to make it work. I believe there is compatibility with our ATA, BRT plans, and the MAX if creative ideas are offered. Let's forget about Clay and take ownership of this development by making to public officials deliver what the voters approved.

All other cities that now have light rail systems faced similar if not greater challenges.  
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

It is so funny reading all of the old posts. Everyone was certain this would fail.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I would be curious to hear our members who work at MARC and ATA chime in and tell us how the mood is around those places this morning. 
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

i am ecstatic that this passed.  ( i actually seal-clapped with joy).  however, i am 100% sure that the status quotient in our government will cock block it, and very little if any of this plan will be implemented.  we need to start an organized letter writing and political awareness campaign to see any of the goals of this mandate enacted.  hopefully the wake up call to the transportation "services" of this city will shock and scare them into action.  more likely, though, is that they will respond with intimidation, filibustering, and reactionary backlash.  people who really really care about transit in kc (and thus people who really really care about the long term well being of this city) are going to have to hold some feet to the fire...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

dangerboy wrote:
This is going to the force the politicians go finally do something real about this issue.  They can't shoot down this plan without coming up with something of their own.
indeed, but i worry that KC doesn't have the visionary/savvy politicians and leaders necessary to do it right. 

i wish i knew more about how STL did it.  maybe we can learn from them?  if they could convince the wealthiest swath of the city and county to let their backyards be trenched for an underground train, surely we could build a freakin light rail down Main or whatever.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Here is how the city can get out of implementing Clay's plan.  The new City Charter allows the City Council to repeal initiative petition ordinances. It takes 9 votes in the first year, then a simple majority after the first year.

So the ball is now in the council's court.  Do they repeal this outright?  Or do they listen to the people's desire for transit and come back with a grown-up plan?
Last edited by dangerboy on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

[quote="chrizow"]
indeed, but i worry that KC doesn't have the visionary/savvy politicians and leaders necessary to do it right. 

April elections are 6 months away. Let's vote in candidates that CAN get the job done.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Why is everyone dismissing federal assistance without even making an attempt at securing it?  The plan isn't that bad.  The costs will undoubtedly be higher than anticipated, but that would be the case with any project of this nature.  That doesn't mean we can't start with what we've got, and work at securing additional funding as we get further into the project.

As for current bus service....go back to the voters for a temporary tax to fund busses until the first part of the rail line is built.  Also don't forget the electric busses included in this plan.  With the implementation of the rail line and electric busses, the ATA will need to dramatically overhaul their current routes.  That should require less funding.

Dial back the doom and gloom and work to make this happen.  Allow yourselves to step out of the Kansas City pessimism box.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

lock+load wrote: Why is everyone dismissing federal assistance without even making an attempt at securing it? 
Exactly. Hey, guess who just won the House and the Senate. And who do they owe their success to? Urban areas. The Dems will make energy dependence on oil an issue and look for alternative energies and alternative modes of transportation to be an issue they will support.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Senator Bond has never had much trouble securing pork for Missouri - perhaps his name should be moved up to the top of the letter writing list.
Dr. Moonlight
Surface Lot

Post by Dr. Moonlight »

I voted for this, but I never expected to pass.  I'm still not completely sold on several major aspects of the plan, but I wanted the city leaders to get the message that we want a more complete transit system in Kansas City; I just didn't necessarily expect it to be this one, so I don't know exactly how to feel, but I think this will be for the best one way or another.  Does anyone have the graphic, which I think I saw in the Star, which is an artist's rendition of the gondola plan through Penn Valley Park?  I've been searching for it, but to no avail so far.  Thanks!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

lock+load wrote: Why is everyone dismissing federal assistance without even making an attempt at securing it?  The plan isn't that bad.  The costs will undoubtedly be higher than anticipated, but that would be the case with any project of this nature.  That doesn't mean we can't start with what we've got, and work at securing additional funding as we get further into the project.

As for current bus service....go back to the voters for a temporary tax to fund busses until the first part of the rail line is built.  Also don't forget the electric busses included in this plan.  With the implementation of the rail line and electric busses, the ATA will need to dramatically overhaul their current routes.  That should require less funding.

Dial back the doom and gloom and work to make this happen.  Allow yourselves to step out of the Kansas City pessimism box.
the perfect post. read it again.
markf
New York Life
New York Life

Post by markf »

Is there a website that has all the details of this plan?
"Here!" shall of course be short for "Here I am, rock you like a hurricane."
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Senator Bond has never had much trouble securing pork for Missouri - perhaps his name should be moved up to the top of the letter writing list.
Bond is the Chairman of the Transportation subcommittee.  Neat.

EDIT:  At least, he was the Chairman before Tuesday.  ;)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

How much money did St. Louis squeeze out of MoDot/Mo legislature for their lines?