Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by mean »

Jesus, his narcissism is nearing Trumpian levels.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I thought Chastain hated streetcars and found them inadequate. I have to think those opposed to any public transportation in KC are anxious to sign Chastain's petitions just to relish in the havoc and confusion.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:several have reported to me that people other than chastain are collecting signatures for his latest "streetcar expansion" petition. while others may be doing the collecting, the only streetcar effort requiring signatures belongs to clay chastain.
I can confirm. There was a nice young girl at the BKS Price Chopper just the other day asking people to "Sign my petition to extend the streetcar, so kids can ride it to the zoo and to school"
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote:I thought Chastain hated streetcars and found them inadequate. I have to think those opposed to any public transportation in KC are anxious to sign Chastain's petitions just to relish in the havoc and confusion.
he also "hated" commuter rail, then jumped on that bandwagon later, too.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I hear Trump is considering him for the 18th Secretary of Transportation.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by flyingember »

Chastain filed his petition for 26 more miles of track. His cost estimates are about 66% of TDD. Yet another suspect number.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

i believe it is 66.6%
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Clay Chastain's ridiculous 26 mile streetcar expansion petition gains enough signatures and will go before the City Council. The Council has 60 days to decide what to do about it, but the deadline to put anything on the April ballot is January 19. This should allow plenty of time for the KCRTA to explain how its plan is different and grounded in practicality and logic.

Source: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 64824.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The city won't put it on the April ballot.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

To not put it on the ballot is risky, and to put it on the ballot is risky. It would be better if Chastain would just piss off.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Who keeps signing these? Stop it!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Either misguided people who want more streetcar and think this is a good way to get it, or (I think more likely) people who are opposed to streetcar and want it to go to a citywide vote so it will fail and sabotage future expansion plans.

(Or maybe I'm just jaded.)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote:Either misguided people who want more streetcar and think this is a good way to get it, or (I think more likely) people who are opposed to streetcar and want it to go to a citywide vote so it will fail and sabotage future expansion plans.

(Or maybe I'm just jaded.)
I'm sure its a little of both but Chastain's proposals are always very appealing in that he promises a lot for a little. That appeals to a lot of people.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

One of my office coworkers is a young kid fresh out of college and voted for the Chastain plan on the last ballot. He is brand new to town and didn't know the history of Chastain's unrealistic plans and the old vendetta-driven shenanigans. Similarly, I myself naively voted for the 2006 initiative when I was new to town, and at that time I didn't realize nor care that it wasn't a solid baked plan and that the numbers behind it were pie-in-the-sky fiction. Anyway I told my coworker that Chastain's ballot initiatives have come to a point where, through their sheer repeated bad timing, pushing bad information that Chastain made up (never backed by any engineering studies), and then coming up for repeated defeat, that they were hurting progress on creating any regional light rail system.

I try to vote in every election, and after watching these antics for the past decade I think the real problem is Kansas City's low threshold for putting these initiatives on the ballot. I've seen many, not just from Chastain. Any ass-clown can get populist garbage on the ballot even if the details would violate state / federal laws, or the laws of physics for that matter. I don't know what it would take to change the requirements for getting things on the ballot--perhaps either increasing the number of signatures required, or requiring the petitioner to pay the fee for some nominal feasibility study by an independent third consulting party. If we could get the ballot initiative process cleaned up I think it would help the city out in the long term.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

In the old days, or at least in many westerns I've seen, the townfolk would get together and run the undesirables outa town. Can't we do that to Clay? Just tell him to git gone and not have to take this shit anymore? Fer cryin out loud, I say we tell him if he stays or returns, we'll lock him up in the drunk cell.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Tar 'n featherin's too good fer the varmint.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:In the old days, or at least in many westerns I've seen, the townfolk would get together and run the undesirables outa town. Can't we do that to Clay? Just tell him to git gone and not have to take this shit anymore? Fer cryin out loud, I say we tell him if he stays or returns, we'll lock him up in the drunk cell.
Considering he's in Virginia most of the time, perhaps we could just take his modem and frequent flier miles.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

goddamn virginians. 8-[
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chastain is now suing the mayor, former city attorney bill geary, and attorney jeff carey. :roll:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

latest chastain plan will likely appear on august ballot with anti-streetcar petition initiative: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/kc ... 46908.html