MegaBus service offers $1 rides from St Louis to Chicago, KC added

Transportation topics in KC
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: MegaBus service offers $1 rides from St Louis to Chicago, KC added

Post by brewcrew1000 »

nomadcowatbk wrote:
mykn wrote:I recently tried to take Grayhound to Wichita. Their website failed to charge my card properly three times, preventing me from buying a ticket. I contacted their support by email about it and only got a response back 3 weeks later, long after I needed my ticket. Greyhound definitely has its problems.
most Greyhound riders probably buy their tickets at the station with cash
This is why i like Megabus and wish they would expand here. Greyhound seems to cater more to the transient type crowd that has to scrap together bus money to leave town, even the Greyhound bus location in KC is in a somewhat seedy area. Megabus seems to cater to the younger college crowd, I also think they offer wifi on board. The bus stop location is in a nice part of town.
mykn

Post by mykn »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
nomadcowatbk wrote:
mykn wrote:I recently tried to take Grayhound to Wichita. Their website failed to charge my card properly three times, preventing me from buying a ticket. I contacted their support by email about it and only got a response back 3 weeks later, long after I needed my ticket. Greyhound definitely has its problems.
This is why i like Megabus and wish they would expand here. Greyhound seems to cater more to the transient type crowd that has to scrap together bus money to leave town, even the Greyhound bus location in KC is in a somewhat seedy area. Megabus seems to cater to the younger college crowd, I also think they offer wifi on board. The bus stop location is in a nice part of town.
The Yelp reviews for our Greyhound stop are pretty funny.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
nomadcowatbk wrote:
what Greyhound station isn't in a seedy area or truck stop?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm still kind of mad Megabus bolted KC and I really thought they mishandled the route operations here. St Louis now goes to Dallas with a stop in Memphis. I always thought KC should have had a route to Dallas with Stops in Lawrence, Wichita, OKC and Norman. KC also should have had stops to Omaha and Des Moines, I never understood why they tried to do the long haul all the way to Chicago via I-70, you can get flights on SW to Chicago fairly cheap most of the year and the Amtrak route to Chicago is pretty great.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I'm still kind of mad Megabus bolted KC and I really thought they mishandled the route operations here. St Louis now goes to Dallas with a stop in Memphis. I always thought KC should have had a route to Dallas with Stops in Lawrence, Wichita, OKC and Norman. KC also should have had stops to Omaha and Des Moines, I never understood why they tried to do the long haul all the way to Chicago via I-70, you can get flights on SW to Chicago fairly cheap most of the year and the Amtrak route to Chicago is pretty great.
I believe those destinations are available via Greyhound or Jefferson, and may even be subsidized by the state/feds.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I never understood why they tried to do the long haul all the way to Chicago via I-70, you can get flights on SW to Chicago fairly cheap most of the year and the Amtrak route to Chicago is pretty great.
do they require credit cards? greyhound doesn't
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

DaveKCMO wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I'm still kind of mad Megabus bolted KC and I really thought they mishandled the route operations here. St Louis now goes to Dallas with a stop in Memphis. I always thought KC should have had a route to Dallas with Stops in Lawrence, Wichita, OKC and Norman. KC also should have had stops to Omaha and Des Moines, I never understood why they tried to do the long haul all the way to Chicago via I-70, you can get flights on SW to Chicago fairly cheap most of the year and the Amtrak route to Chicago is pretty great.
I believe those destinations are available via Greyhound or Jefferson, and may even be subsidized by the state/feds.
and Greyhound will take cash
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

nomadcowatbk wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
and Greyhound will take cash
For now. I've heard that they're trying to cut overhead and staffed ticketing is an easy target since all of these services have mobile apps and websites.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Bring back Megabus!

News from STL:

Megabus announced Tuesday it will be expanding its service to include daily trips between St. Louis and the following cities:

Troy, Missouri
Bowling Green, Missouri
Hannibal, Missouri
Quincy, Illinois
Canton, Missouri
Keokuk, Iowa
Fort Madison, Iowa
Burlington, Iowa
Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

https://www.ksdk.com/article/travel/meg ... 7dcc7e4c1b