General Amtrak Discussion

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: General Amtrak Discussion

Post by shinatoo »

phuqueue wrote: So even if we eventually end up with true HSR in MO some years down the line, it sounds like it's still going to track the same meandering route as current Amtrak service and, presumably, stop in all the same little backwater towns, right?  Doesn't it seem like it would make more sense to run a more direct route along I-70 (cutting out like 40 or 50 miles in the process) and hit Columbia instead?  Are Hermann and Sedalia really funneling tons of passengers onto the River Runner?
My understanding is for 110mph it would follow the same route, but a 220 would require a new set of tracks (HSR is about as well defined as HD TV or Telepresence). Missouri is hiring HNTB for the new rail version. I believe the general push is for a transportation corridor that follows I-70. 220 rail, 4 lanes for cars and 4 lanes for trucks. The good part would be that this is the Columbus, Ohio to KC plan for I-70. HSR from KC to Columbus would kick ass.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Amtrak's Reservation System Will Be Down April 17

Post by enough »

Passenger Service Notice - Sunday, April 17 Only

On Sunday, April 17, 2011, Amtrak’s Reservation and Ticketing system will undergo a major upgrade and will not be available for a portion of the day.

During this period, Amtrak will have very limited ability to issue tickets, provide train status information, and create or modify reservations. Amtrak will not be able to accept credit card payments via the Internet, by telephone, or travel agency outlets and will have only limited ability at station ticket counters. In addition, Quik-Trak kiosks will be unavailable during this period.

Although we are taking measures to minimize the impact of this upgrade on your travel plans, we ask that you please arrange to purchase and pick up your tickets before Sunday. Please disregard this message if you already have your tickets.

For additional information, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or speak with a ticket agent.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We took Amtrak out to Colorado for the memorial day weekend.  The train left pretty much right on time from Union Station at about 10:45 pm.  We arrived about 20 minutes before the train left, after about a 10 minute drive from our house.  We were able to get on the train without taking off any clothing, carrying a big bottle of shampoo.  Only one stop (in Newton, maybe?) overnight and a couple of stops in Colorado.  The rails were a little bumpy in some spots, but not too bad once you got used to it.  Seats in coach were large and comfortable, although my husband kept sliding out of his.  Maybe next time he brings one of those no-skid mats you put under a rug.  We arrived in Trinidad at about 9:45 in the morning and rented a car there.  In contrast, we decided to fly back to save some time, which meant leaving out of Albuquerque.  We got to the airport at about 3:30 pm, had a typical aggravating flying experience, complete with delays, and arrived home in KC at 12:30 am.  I think next time we just take the train both ways.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I?m taking the train to Chicago Thursday morning, then back Sunday late afternoon.  It?s the Southwest Chief route, so we won?t be going through St. Louis.  I haven?t been on a train since I was 10 or so.  It wasn?t that cheap, $388 round trip for two people but we wanted to do something a little different trip up.  We are going to hit the Sunday Gospel brunch at The House of Blues before we leave Sunday.  Otherwise we will be doing a little biking along Lake Michigan, some museums, and see Dengue Fever at The Empty Bottle Saturday night.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

cknab1 wrote: I?m taking the train to Chicago Thursday morning, then back Sunday late afternoon.  It?s the Southwest Chief route, so we won?t be going through St. Louis.  I haven?t been on a train since I was 10 or so.  It wasn?t that cheap, $388 round trip for two people but we wanted to do something a little different trip up.  We are going to hit the Sunday Gospel brunch at The House of Blues before we leave Sunday.  Otherwise we will be doing a little biking along Lake Michigan, some museums, and see Dengue Fever at The Empty Bottle Saturday night.
Make sure you bring your Tiger Phone Card.  I took that trip last November and really enjoyed it.  It was only $108 round trip then for one, though (after AAA discount).
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Going to take the Southwest Chief from KC to Chicago in March with wife and daughter for spring break. Reserved coach seats...leaving Sun AM. I'm curious if the conductor attempts to seat folks together if they are family or if it's just a free for all? I'd at least like to attempt to get wife and daughter together as it is 2 across seating. Not a huge concern as it sounds like there are other areas of train where you can hang together.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kucer wrote:I'm curious if the conductor attempts to seat folks together if they are family or if it's just a free for all?
they will seat groups together, if possible.
get in line early (at least 30 mins) to ensure you're first to request seats together.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Great..thanks Dave!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Technology requirement could lead Amtrak to leave KC

Congress may try to extend late-2015 deadline
The problem results from the fact that Kansas City is the second-largest rail freight hub in the United States. The Kansas City Terminal Railroad runs the rail yards where all trains chug through the city and Amtrak represents a fraction of that traffic.

Congress has ordered railroads to install new high-tech safety equipment called positive train control, or PTC, by the end of 2015.

Michelle Teel of the Missouri Department of Transportation said the state doesn't have a way to pay for PTC.
...Missouri Sens. Roy Blunt and Claire McCaskill and Kansas Sen. Jerry Moran are members of the committee considering these options. The senators may push for some sort of extension to the deadline while they look into whether these automatic controls are necessary for very short rail lines.
http://www.kmbc.com/news/technology-req ... c/31052700
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The good news is I no longer have a single ounce of confidence that local news reporters understand any of the stories they report on.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:The good news is I no longer have a single ounce of confidence that local news reporters understand any of the stories they report on.
depends on the reporter. Some of the bigger project court case pieces are very well done. the KCBJ reporters are largely competent
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Railroads and rail transit are generally hazy subjects for any reporter. Lots of specialized terminology and business aspects that are unique to the industry. The topic is reported on so infrequently by the general media that nobody has the time to educate themselves before reporting.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

an eastbound southwest chief derailed this morning just west of dodge city: http://blog.amtrak.com/2016/03/update-o ... f-train-4/
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

We were supposed to be on that train for our Spring Break in Chicago. Found out about derailment when we got to US.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

NTSB: Truck shifted track before Amtrak accident

CIMARRON, Kansas – The National Transportation Safety Board is still investigating the derailment involving an Amtrak train. Earl Weener is part of the National Transportation Safety Board. Weener says it’s too soon to know what caused the derailment. However, he says the NTSB has learned the rail shifted from video recorded from the front engine.

“The video shows the track was disturbed and shifted an estimated about 12-14 inches to the south,” he said.

The engineer noticed a variation on the track, causing him to brake. The train was traveling 60 mph when it derailed.

Weener says a feed truck may have been involved a day before in an impact on the tracks. He says the feed truck owner is cooperating with the investigation.

“We would love to have, if someone had witnessed the truck crossing the highway and into the railroad ties, if there is anybody that has seen that, we have a website, or an email address witness@ntsb.gov.”
http://ksn.com/2016/03/15/ntsb-says-fee ... ack-shift/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

big deal for amtrak on-time performance outside of the northeast: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... urt-rules/
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

so how expensive would a cross continent high speed rail that didn't depend on private right of way cost? Like astronomically expensive or just massively expensive?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

JBmidtown wrote:so how expensive would a cross continent high speed rail that didn't depend on private right of way cost? Like astronomically expensive or just massively expensive?
Astronomically.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

lol oh well.