General Amtrak Discussion

Transportation topics in KC
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: General Amtrak Discussion

Post by kard »

KCPowercat wrote: OK I am an Amtrak virgin taking my first trip to chicago soon. Any tips for riding the rails?  Can drinks be brought on board for example?
yeah, bringing drinks and food is a good idea (just don't eat them in the dining car).  if you can snag a lunch or dinner slot then i'd recommend it--the food is very good in the dining car (the snack bar is much lower-quality).

bring a book / movie / nintendo ds.  wear headphones.  wear deodorant.  other than that, enjoy your trip.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

Yes you can bring drinks and food on the train. I enjoyed the observation car the best, great view, a book and with a little cooler made for a great day. We did eat a meal in the dinning car and the food was better than I was expecting.

Best part of the train unlike the airline, no one is in a hurry.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So you can bring a small cooler on board with booze?  Awe-some
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the chief's coaches will not have outlets at every seat, so make sure your batteries are charged or you have spares. keep in mind that some people have been on the train for two days by the time you board (they won't be in your coach, however).

if you have a GPS enabled phone, load google maps on it and watch the real-time progress on a map! you'll need something to look at once you leave fort madison because there is nothing to see except repeats of this:

1) corn field
2) farm house
3) silo

also, don't linger in chicago's union station. you'll arrive around 3 and things get very hectic around 4 (at least on the weekdays). arrive early for your return trip to snap pictures.

someone told me once to treat it like a camping trip and you'll have a blast. people who are disappointed in amtrak usually expect airline-style service at your seat and lots of information about the trip's progress or lack thereof (you'll get neither).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: So you can bring a small cooler on board with booze?  Awe-some
don't show off your booze in its original container. use discretion because they can (and will) take it away from you.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

How long a trip is that?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

8 hours I believe on the southwest chief

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Thinking about taking it up there for Christmas...only problem is that its not a whole lot cheaper than flying Southwest. About 65 dollars for 2 people.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah cost isn't a reason to do it.

So seats are two across?  Any seats face each other?

jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

Cost alone isn't the best reason.  We travel that way because:

a)  we like the slower pace of it all
b)  by the time you drive to the airport (2 hrs early), park, go through the check-in line, get stripped searched, spend about 2 1/2 minutes actually flying to Chicago, getting off the plane and then getting down to the Loop, the times about net out.

The seats are 2 across.  Never seen any turned around (although I do remember a couple of school trips in the 70s when we did that).  Leg room is excellent.  I'm 6-4 and I can't reach the seat in front of me.

One other thing - you can buy visitor transit passes inside Union Station for 1, 3, 5 days (maybe others).  If you're going to be in the city for your stay, they are a good and convenient deal.  The pass gets you on all CTA buses and trains for the number of days you buy.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCPowercat wrote: Yeah cost isn't a reason to do it.

So seats are two across?  Any seats face each other?
Seats all face forward like an airplane.  The cafe car will have restaurant-style booths if you want to face each other, play cards, etc. 

I would not bring a cooler if you aren't getting a roomette.  You need to be more discreet, like a flask.

Some cars *may* have outlets at the seats, so ask the conductor if that's important.  However, your origin/destination will determine your seat assignment, so don't be disappointed if they won't let you move.  DO bring a small power strip if you want to use an outlet in the cafe or observation cars.

I did this trip last month and it was on time within 15 minutes. No major delays or track work.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

jimb wrote: b)  by the time you drive to the airport (2 hrs early), park, go through the check-in line, get stripped searched, spend about 2 1/2 minutes actually flying to Chicago, getting off the plane and then getting down to the Loop, the times about net out.
This has not been my experience. The train is nice, and I hope to do it again, but the trip was just over 7 hours, from 7am to about 3:20pm. I took a 7am Southwest flight to MDW and was in the loop in time for breakfast. Total trip from my house to the loop was about 2.5 hours.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: don't show off your booze in its original container. use discretion because they can (and will) take it away from you.
I drank bottled beer the entire time to/from Chicago (I know...I'm a winnar!) not knowing at the time it was technically against the rules. Nothing happened even though an employee vaguely said something, but didn't seem to care either way.

Amtrak kicks ass...especially when it's not crowded.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

mean wrote: This has not been my experience. The train is nice, and I hope to do it again, but the trip was just over 7 hours, from 7am to about 3:20pm. I took a 7am Southwest flight to MDW and was in the loop in time for breakfast. Total trip from my house to the loop was about 2.5 hours.
I call shenanigans. The flight's 1.5 hours. Even if you showed up to the gate 1 minute before the flight, it's a 20 minute drive plus 5 minute walk at least and if you park in the outer lots, more than that. You're already at 2 hours if you're late and parked in the garage outside the terminal.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I'll agree flying to Chicago is still faster than the train.  But I prefer the train to driving to Chicago.  It's about an hour faster and much more relaxing.

Unfortunately Amtrak is crowded all the time now. The train to Chicago is often sold out, so you have to book well in advance.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I call shenanigans. The flight's 1.5 hours. Even if you showed up to the gate 1 minute before the flight, it's a 20 minute drive plus 5 minute walk at least and if you park in the outer lots, more than that. You're already at 2 hours if you're late and parked in the garage outside the terminal.
Well, I happen to have a detailed record because I had been asked by a friend (who was interested in flying to Chicago but was leaning toward driving) what kind of time elapsed between walking out my front door and arriving at the loop:

26 minute drive to airport
32 minutes walking from circle parking, getting through security, and waiting around
~5 minute taxi to the runway (I kind of forgot to pay attention at this point, but it wasn't a long taxi)
50 minute flight (1.5 hours? :lol:)
31 minutes on the orange line

EQUALS
Just under 2.5 hours.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I fly to Chicago all the time.

I can be from my downtown office to the loop in Chicago in 2 hours, maybe 2 1/2.

Hour and a half flight?  I would ask for a refund.  You are typically in the air for less the 45 minutes on that flight, especailly if the weather is good and you don't have to circle around either airport (land on the KCI east west runway for example).

The chef can easily run 2 hours "late".
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

...And back to riding amtrak tips...

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: ...And back to riding amtrak tips...
don't take your gun.

other than that, i think everyone has chimed in with what you need to know for a day trip. if you were doing overnight in coach or a sleeper there's a lot more to it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

My cooler of beer got shut down last time I was on the train. Use caution.