flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
chingon wrote:
No need to fix the turn lane back up if you eliminate the south plaza jog...
plaza library generates a lot of trips. why eliminate jog now when streetcar construction will disrupt that segment of main/brookside?
I see your point about construction, but isn’t that going to be an issue anywhere up and down Main Street, too. And you’d have trouble convincing me that the Plaza library stop wouldn’t generate just as many trips with a stop on Brookside and Ward PKWY.
The current stop is effectively right outside the door and I figured a quarter mile away for a streetcar stop and uphill either direction taken. So any physically limited current users (wheelchair, seniors with problems walking) might stop visiting this branch

I would expect transit users to the library to increase dramatically at the same time.

The question thus becomes, is there a workable alternative to the bus stop for users who are sensitive to the distance changes. Maybe another branch can be reached by changing the bus routes for the streetcar and move or add certain services to that branch. the Westport library is two blocks off Main but it's not uphill.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:if KCATA were to "refresh" main MAX while we wait for the streetcar extension in 2022-23, what changes would you make?
So Dave, will the ideas get any traction? Some good ideas posted. Are there any realistic next steps in progress?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

here's what i can tell you: capital changes are easy, operating changes are hard.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, could see CAPEX vs OPEX as the driving factors. So it would seem you are indicating any changes would be considered for next year's or following year's budget. Will ideas in this thread reach KCATA?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Will ideas in this thread reach KCATA?
yes.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Main MAX will reroute to Broadway between 20th and 47th due to ongoing utility work on Main Street.

https://ridekc.org/bulletins/main-max-d ... nstruction
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:44 am Main MAX will reroute to Broadway between 20th and 47th due to ongoing utility work on Main Street.

Great move. I hope it stays there permanently.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:09 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:44 am Main MAX will reroute to Broadway between 20th and 47th due to ongoing utility work on Main Street.

Great move. I hope it stays there permanently.
It will not. I suspect the reroute will end when Water Services has completed their work, which is the most disruptive part of the entire project.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^So MAX will operate on Main during streetcar construction?

Suggestion...

- Reroute MAX in front of Union Station to Broadway (when the construction in that area completes)
- Announce on streetcar when pulling into US the 'free streetcar MAX bust extender to Westport/Plaza/Brookside/Waldo' in front of US.
- Improve bus stop signage in front of US, noting MAX to Westport/Plaza

Positioning as a 'streetcar bus extender' and endorsement from streetcar line should encourage much more usage. And more importantly, encourage bus timid people to give it a shot.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:23 am ^So MAX will operate on Main during streetcar construction?

Suggestion...

- Reroute MAX in front of Union Station to Broadway (when the construction in that area completes)
- Announce on streetcar when pulling into US the 'free streetcar MAX bust extender to Westport/Plaza/Brookside/Waldo' in front of US.
- Improve bus stop signage in front of US, noting MAX to Westport/Plaza

Positioning as a 'streetcar bus extender' and endorsement from streetcar line should encourage much more usage. And more importantly, encourage bus timid people to give it a shot.
$3.3 million for bike at $5000 per bike could buy 6600

At every 15 and 7 operational vehicles that’s no less than equal to the hourly capacity of the streetcar from river to UMKC.

A streetcar bike extender with access to free bike share bikes would do even more for transit because short distances doesn’t require waiting for the next bus.