Main Street MAX

Transportation topics in KC
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:if KCATA were to "refresh" main MAX while we wait for the streetcar extension in 2022-23, what changes would you make?
0. Free

1. Eliminate the South Plaza jog.

2. Floating bus island at 47th/Cleaver/BKS/Main.

3. Eliminate local service/split route south of the Plaza

4. Fix the condition of the curb lanes. It’s a fucking miserable ride.

5. Remind the bus drivers that people get on the bus dressed for the weather, so maybe running the heater a 95 degrees anytime the outdoor temperature is below 75 isn’t the most comfortable rider experience.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

chingon wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:if KCATA were to "refresh" main MAX while we wait for the streetcar extension in 2022-23, what changes would you make?
5. Remind the bus drivers that people get on the bus dressed for the weather, so maybe running the heater a 95 degrees anytime the outdoor temperature is below 75 isn’t the most comfortable rider experience.
So true. The bus drivers get cold with door always opening so they crank up the heat, the older the driver the hotter it is. I open my window seat during winter just to breathe. The drivers need local heat or some form of space heater.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

earthling wrote:
chingon wrote:
So true. The bus drivers get cold with door always opening so they crank up the heat, the older the driver the hotter it is. I open my window seat during winter just to breathe. The drivers need local heat or some form of space heater.
Maybe heated seats for the drivers?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

chingon wrote:
yessss. And most of us have been walking and are already at comfortable temperature.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

1. Enforce the 'bus only' curb lane to reduce/eliminate dumb asses from driving in it during rush hour.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kcjak wrote:1. Enforce the 'bus only' curb lane to reduce/eliminate dumb asses from driving in it during rush hour.
Oh man, I have the same pet peave! Always KS plates. I don’t think they understand.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Or just take street parking off Main and make the curb lane a true, dedicated ROW like a real BRT line would have. Oh and do that on Troost and Prospect too.

And yeah, local service in Waldo? Nuh uh. Nope. Get rid of it.

And get some of those smart kiosks on the MAX line so they’re already there when the streetcar is expanded.

There’s a lot of cheap little fixes that could make the experience of riding the Main MAX so much better...
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

beautyfromashes wrote:
kcjak wrote:1. Enforce the 'bus only' curb lane to reduce/eliminate dumb asses from driving in it during rush hour.
Oh man, I have the same pet peave! Always KS plates. I don’t think they understand.
Anecdotally, I see many, many people with MO plates doing it. And in all fairness the “LANE BUS” signs are both backwards and mostly worn off.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

chingon wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:
Anecdotally, I see many, many people with MO plates doing it. And in all fairness the “LANE BUS” signs are both backwards and mostly worn off.
While they are worn down they are actually written correctly as you are supposed to read it as you drive over or by it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

There are black and white signs on the curb up and down Main.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The biggest thing I could have asked for was moving the route to Grand. That was done and it's been 2 wonderful months of speedy travel through downtown.

1.) I concur that the pavement on Main Street south of Grand leave much to be desired. I find myself almost by instinct bracing for certain potholes.

2.) I'd love to see the vinyl seats added to the Max buses that are now standard on regular RideKC buses.

3.) Fix the signal timing or convert one of the through EB lanes to a second left turn lane at 47th/Cleaver and Main. That intersection is a terrible time suck at peak hours.

4.) Move the NB stop at 17th Street closer to the SB stop at Truman Road.

5.) Consider eliminating the 22nd Street stop.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

thanks for the reminder about the turn lane on cleaver!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Eon Blue wrote:The biggest thing I could have asked for was moving the route to Grand. That was done and it's been 2 wonderful months of speedy travel through downtown.
So nice to get from Plaza to RM in reasonable time.
2.) I'd love to see the vinyl seats added to the Max buses that are now standard on regular RideKC buses.
Agree, these seats are easier to clean and who knows what gross gunk is in those cloth seats. Though ATA does a better job keeping them clean than other bus systems.
3.) Fix the signal timing or convert one of the through EB lanes to a second left turn lane at 47th/Cleaver and Main. That intersection is a terrible time suck at peak hours.
Good idea.
5.) Consider eliminating the 22nd Street stop.
I thought the same but it probably is easier to walk/bike to/from Hospital Hill from that stop than CC stop. If it's not used, dump it. Or if HH gets a bikeshare station, maybe one could go there or move the one from 20th.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

BTW, here's a map of new Main MAX for discussion...

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

DaveKCMO wrote:thanks for the reminder about the turn lane on cleaver!
No problem. Those outside third lanes on Cleaver between Main and Rockhill have been in my mental road diet dream list for years.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

gfenn11 wrote:
chingon wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote: Oh man, I have the same pet peave! Always KS plates. I don’t think they understand.
While they are worn down they are actually written correctly as you are supposed to read it as you drive over or by it.
I understand it’s intentional. I disagree that it is correct, instinctual or functional.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

No need to fix the turn lane back up if you eliminate the south plaza jog...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon wrote:
plaza library generates a lot of trips. why eliminate jog now when streetcar construction will disrupt that segment of main/brookside?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The Plaza jog isn't that disruptive and maybe better location for visitors. Separately, would rather see the tennis courts turned into a transit center with a Walgreens or CVS and Plaza residential services, which the Plaza needs but won't do. Can move the courts to N end of Mill Creek Park or beef up Loose Park.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:
chingon wrote:
plaza library generates a lot of trips. why eliminate jog now when streetcar construction will disrupt that segment of main/brookside?
I see your point about construction, but isn’t that going to be an issue anywhere up and down Main Street, too. And you’d have trouble convincing me that the Plaza library stop wouldn’t generate just as many trips with a stop on Brookside and Ward PKWY.