Main Street MAX

Transportation topics in KC
chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: South Plaza

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by chingon » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:17 am

Good news.

Of course, the anti-everything league (none of whom actually ride the bus) is very upset about this change, too, despite the fact that they spent the last year bloviating about how Houston changed it's transit culture "overnight"...largely by straightening get bus routes.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16561
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:36 am

chingon wrote: Of course, the anti-everything league (none of whom actually ride the bus) is very upset about this change, too, despite the fact that they spent the last year bloviating about how Houston changed it's transit culture "overnight"...largely by straightening get bus routes.
they are? LOL. that's rich. where have you seen this?

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: South Plaza

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by chingon » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:58 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
chingon wrote: Of course, the anti-everything league (none of whom actually ride the bus) is very upset about this change, too, despite the fact that they spent the last year bloviating about how Houston changed it's transit culture "overnight"...largely by straightening get bus routes.
they are? LOL. that's rich. where have you seen this?
I don't know how to post images/screenshots and I will not link to their propaganda feeds.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2333
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by kboish » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:04 am

DaveKCMO wrote:MAX survey says: straighten it!
As in take out the kink over to US? Is there a chance they will do that?

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6777
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by flyingember » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 am

chingon wrote:Good news.

Of course, the anti-everything league (none of whom actually ride the bus) is very upset about this change, too, despite the fact that they spent the last year bloviating about how Houston changed it's transit culture "overnight"...largely by straightening get bus routes.
I like the idea of the connection but I see the value in cutting the jog.

You've missed one key aspect of the Houston straightening. It wasn't just a straightening. For almost every urban line that used to parallel the train they now end the route at a transit hub and people use the train for downtown destination service. Their change worked because they could take people off low speed/low frequency bus service and get them onto a single super quick train line with signal priority. And Houston already had not one but two peak hour HOV/bus only lanes paralleling the train.

I was in Houston this year after the bus system change and I used the train nearly daily.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16561
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:24 am

kboish wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:MAX survey says: straighten it!
As in take out the kink over to US? Is there a chance they will do that?
TBD. the survey supported the proposed alignment. there's some heavy pressure to keep that US connection.

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: South Plaza

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by chingon » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:26 pm

DaveKCMO wrote: there's some heavy pressure to keep that US connection.
Pretty easily accomplished by just moving the MAX to Grand through downtown, no?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16561
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:39 pm

chingon wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: there's some heavy pressure to keep that US connection.
Pretty easily accomplished by just moving the MAX to Grand through downtown, no?
Image

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by JBmidtown » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:41 pm

if the Main st MAX is rerouted down Broadway with the streetcar expansion, what route would it take from Grand to Broadway?

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: South Plaza

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by chingon » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:59 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
chingon wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: there's some heavy pressure to keep that US connection.
Pretty easily accomplished by just moving the MAX to Grand through downtown, no?
Image
Whoops. For some reason I read the comment as some heavy pressure to keep the Crown Center connection.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6078
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by shinatoo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:59 am

If they have to go to union station I don't really see the point of jumping back to Crown Center. I can live with one or the other, but both seams excessive.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16561
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat May 13, 2017 1:30 pm

it's looking pretty likely that the "straightening of main MAX" will actually occur in october.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28619
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by KCPowercat » Sat May 13, 2017 3:40 pm

totally? Like no silly swing back to Union Station?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16561
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:18 pm

MAX will straighten in october.

http://ridekc.org/bulletins/max-service-outreach

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4536
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by earthling » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Good news but is it a done deal? The link says it's a proposal.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16561
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:32 pm

earthling wrote:Good news but is it a done deal? The link says it's a proposal.
all service changes are proposed until the day they happen. in this case, that would be october. the change scored well with riders in a recent survey.

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by JBmidtown » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm

JBmidtown wrote:if the Main st MAX is rerouted down Broadway with the streetcar expansion, what route would it take from Grand to Broadway?
I'm still waiting for an answer on this. Dave?

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4536
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by earthling » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Is years away but if they get rid of MAX though Midtown on Main would hope it moves to Broadway. It could jog over at Pershing or maybe Linwood.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16561
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:41 pm

I doubt the MAX would move to Broadway, but it might happen if there was improved ridership on existing Broadway routes or a big show of community support.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28619
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by KCPowercat » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:52 am

So they will pick up the stations and sign posts? Do they have stop locations proposed?

Post Reply