Main Street MAX

Transportation topics in KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by trailerkid »

ignatius wrote: MAX is supposed to be an 'express' with only specific stops.  The others can stop at any bus stop sign, just about every block or so in most areas.
Every cta bus i rode in chicago was the same way with dedicated stops only. They were announced as stops and had a scrolling message in the front of the bus.

I guess MAX is called brt here for people acclimated to KC/MO bus experiences, but is called the bus in other cities.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Local buses in Chicago have far more frequent stops than the Max. The Western Ave bus, for example, has stops just about every two blocks. KC buses are similar.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: Every cta bus i rode in chicago was the same way with dedicated stops only. They were announced as stops and had a scrolling message in the front of the bus.
The ATA's regular non-MAX buses do this too, with both verbal and visual announcements.  The difference is that they don't announce every single stop, only major intersections.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

bahua wrote: Local buses in Chicago have far more frequent stops than the Max. The Western Ave bus, for example, has stops just about every two blocks. KC buses are similar.
So our version of BRT is just a normal bus that doesn't stop as many times... 

A real BRT system could change transportation in this city.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: So our version of BRT is just a normal bus that doesn't stop as many times... 

A real BRT system could change transportation in this city.
I thought we came to that conclusion years ago.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: I thought we came to that conclusion years ago.
Just reiterating it.

The fact MAX is being "rolled out" with fanfare to Troost like it's anything other than a normal bus that just stops less is more laughable than Seymor Green.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

The only other major difference is that the stops show time next bus is coming - a useful feature.  What else do you want, leather seats? 

My ideal is 5-10 minute frequency prime time and 10-15 minute heads otherwise. More smaller buses more often would be mo betta than larger buses running less often.  For RCP, a true express bus that only stops Plaza/Westport/CC/Downtown would be next on my wish list - with frequent runs.

The mode of transit doesn't matter at all, just the effectiveness.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: Just reiterating it.

The fact MAX is being "rolled out" with fanfare to Troost like it's anything other than a normal bus that just stops less is more laughable than Seymor Green.
What's the point of bringing up an old complaint that we all know about already?  Has it been too long since you took a cheap shot at the city?
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

anybody who's been riding transit in kansas city for a long time knows that max is basically just another bus.  but for people who have not, max has that extra bit of image pizazz that makes it more appealing than a regular old route 51 or route 57 bus.  and its distinctive identity makes it appealing to the thousands of out-of-towners who visit our fair city each week.

we can all take pot shots at max's real-time arrival signs, and the signal priority system that we can't be sure works at all, but it's hard to dispute that the max brand has given the kcata something to market, and something to take pride in.

yes, we want max / brt to be more than it is today, and we should continue to press the ata to make needed improvements. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: What's the point of bringing up an old complaint that we all know about already?  Has it been too long since you took a cheap shot at the city?
MAX is the cheap shot at the city.

The gap between what we have and what is easily possible is truly jawdropping.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

some (good) changes affecting MAX service, effective oct. 4:

#156 Schedule To Improve MAX Connections

MAX Change Saturday Schedule, Adds Downtown Timepoint
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ATA is finally running announcements asking riders to exit MAX buses from the rear doors!
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

they've been doing it for several weeks, but still at relatively few locations.  (it's gps controlled, just like the audio ads.)  the one place i always heard it is at crown center -- but not until after the bus has already stopped.  i want them to do it before major stops -- next stop, 39th and main, please use the rear door whenever possible...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

onboard survey. thoughts?

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

^ They should just do this now!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I like the looks of this. How many days a year is Grand closed in front of Sprint Center. I have some misgivings about the "BRT" regularly diverting because of events. OTOH, this happens now at Crown Center...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote:I like the looks of this. How many days a year is Grand closed in front of Sprint Center. I have some misgivings about the "BRT" regularly diverting because of events. OTOH, this happens now at Crown Center...
Whats the difference if it has to divert 4-6 times a years versus now where it is basically "diverting" everyday?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:onboard survey. thoughts?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Nice picture. ;-)

Keep it on Grand at Crown Center, jog to Oak at 16th (to avoid reroutes from Sprint Center events), then jog back to Grand at a newly 2-way-ed 8th or 9th Street. Keeping the Oak jog avoids duplicating and competing with the Streetcar as well as providing solid north-south service through the east side of the CBD and keeping the government district ridership happy. I ride every day and the Oak jog is well-ridden and much smoother than the Wyandotte jog.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote:
smh wrote:I like the looks of this. How many days a year is Grand closed in front of Sprint Center. I have some misgivings about the "BRT" regularly diverting because of events. OTOH, this happens now at Crown Center...
Whats the difference if it has to divert 4-6 times a years versus now where it is basically "diverting" everyday?
Touche.