I-35

Transportation topics in KC
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: I-35

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: Have there been traffic problems on this stretch? Seems like a non-issue.
Its one of the few stretches were a KCian is ever likely to encouter anything like real big city congestion.  . . . but if we make sure no one ever experiences any driving inconvenience there will never be any incentive for anything other than driving.  Let it get worse as far as I am concerned.  Same thing for 70, 169, etc.  They will keep widening the hell out of 435 till it reaches grand canyon proportions - but driving around in a big loop fast will only go so far. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

From what I've heard this is a very basic study to identify current conditions and needs.  It's fairly perfunctory - all the other legs of Downtown freeway have been studied or upgraded, so now it's I-3 South's turn.  Any specific improvements would require more detailed study and public input, plus all the environmental clearances.

The main concern is that the viaducts that take I-35 over two spots on Southwest Boulevard are at least ten years over their maximum designed lifespan.  Sometime soon those viaducts will either need replacement or major rehab.

Supposedly MoDOT is not planning to expand the highway or add any right of way.  Besides replacing the viaducts they may make some relatively minor changes to ramps and such.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: Supposedly MoDOT is not planning to expand the highway or add any right of way.  Besides replacing the viaducts they may make some relatively minor changes to ramps and such.
maybe if our downtown was performing to its potential as as commercial/cultural district for 2 M people it would need expansion, but within our lifetimes it won't need expansion. at all.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You guys better stop this dead in its tracks before it gets any momentum or this could seriously screw up downtown.

MoDot and Kdot are notorious for trying to create zero delay interstates for the 15 minutes there are even delays at all which is fine in the burbs, but unnecessary and destructive in the city.

This stretch of 35 is not congested.  It slows down once in while, mostly because people don't have a clue which lanes they need to be in  as they approach the downtown loop.

There is no reason to try to create massive interlacing ramps to eliminate merging and weaving.  That will only double the size of the viaduct through the heart of the west side.  Simply improve it.  It's already 8 lanes wide.  Create better signage and put signs up so people from Kansas will use something other than Broadway to exit into Downtown.

I guess you gould widen it to 8 lanes from SW Tfwy to state line, then KS could pick up and widen it from state line to 635.  Not sure why they didn't do that when they rebuilt 35 a while back.

But between SW Tfwy and the loop, I would only do minor upgrades.  They really need to take I-35 off the west loop of downtown and route all insterstate traffic through 670 and 71/29 and turn the west loop into local traffic only.  Same with the north loop so they can turn that into a parkway or something and reduce its footprint.  670 can handle the traffic.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote: You guys better stop this dead in its tracks before it gets any momentum or this could seriously screw up downtown.
Neighborhoods in the vicinity are already uniting and mobilizing to head off any potential widening of the highway.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

state dot's keep dreaming big even though they don't have money to do much of anything.  just last week i saw a presentation on a re-design of the i-35 / i-435 / k-10 interchange.  price tag on the order of $600 million.  that's almost three grandview triangles.  kdot will never be able to afford it, but doing the studies keeps hntb engineers occupied.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Will MoDot be conducting these community meetings out in Olathe and OP in order to talk to the people who might actually give a shit about enhancements to this corridor?  :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Will MoDot be conducting these community meetings out in Olathe and OP in order to talk to the people who might actually give a shit about enhancements to this corridor?   :lol:
probably to the same degree that KDOT talked to missouri residents about I-35 to their side of the state line.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Thought MODOT was broke.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Thought MODOT was broke.
they have money, just not as much as before. i believe they're in "maintenance only" mode until a new statewide referendum boosts revenue.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Will MoDot be conducting these community meetings out in Olathe and OP in order to talk to the people who might actually give a shit about enhancements to this corridor?   :lol:
i'd re-phrase the question: will modot talk with the people out in olathe and op who are the cause of the problems on i-35? 

even though congestion in our region is almost non-existent, the time is ripe for a high-level and region-wide study to re-think the whole idea of the region's freeways -- not so much where they are located, because that's basically already determined, but how they are used and how they might be managed differently to discourage rather than encourage long-distance commutes and other travel.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

marcason officially asking for a re-route of I-35 through the central city? anyone else heard this?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

weird, seems kind of late with the new bridge and all.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: marcason officially asking for a re-route of I-35 through the central city? anyone else heard this?
Source? Link? Details?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: marcason officially asking for a re-route of I-35 through the central city? anyone else heard this?
Did they miss some neighborhoods the first time?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

What I'm hoping is this means moving it west to the other side of the hill and connecting the Westside with the crossroads.

Pipe dream.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: Resolution 100965
I'm 100% for it if it means moving the traffic into industrial corridors and away from residential.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Any chance this is used as an opportunity to bury I-35 between downtown and the River Market?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag