I-35

Transportation topics in KC
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

I-35

Post by kcmajik »

Ever noticed how I-35 in JOCO seems to just lure incredible business? I think it's because Kansas has made it a top priority corridor. The way it handles traffic, entrances, and exits is really paragon. For some reason I-35 in Clay County seems to do nothing but just sit there rotting, collecting more traffic daily, yet the business doesn't increase at all(-the Choutou Crossings big box deal). I really feel like a new I-35 in Clay county could bring nice businesses to the corridor, similar to I-35 in JOCO or even I-29 in Platte CO. I-35 to people from the Twin Cities probably would give the impression that Kansas City is a dump, and i know that you can't have landscaped sprawling freeways with nice little nightlights everywhere, but I really feel like I-35 (from downtown loop to at least M-291 in Liberty)in the Northland needs attention by the state and by the city. This is just a theory, but let me know what you think.
KCgridlock

Re: I-35

Post by KCgridlock »

I agree, and this is the case with most of the Missouri side of the metro area. The infrastructure just isn't there. I mean compare the MO side of KC to StL, it's not even close. Take I-435 for instance. From Wornall on all the way around, the freeway is just improved enough to allow for a lot of commercial construction. It's so much easier to go to College Blvd.

I blame the state and the voters of MO for this.

Missouri is 49th in funding behind only MS.
Missouri has the 6th largest road system.
Missouri has some of the lowest taxes in the nation.
StL get most what revenue there is.

You get what you pay for.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

I hear every word on the STL thing. Have you heard of the new Page Avenue from I-270 to I-70 in St. Charles? it's really quite rediculous, they're building a road in the middle of the cotton that doesn't even exist right now, 4-lanes both directions, new MO river bridge. It really gets me angry because nobody even lives in this area and they are just building it to promote urban sprawl(alot of people in STL are even opposed to it, esp. Creve Ceour)- check it out on MODOT's website. Supposedly it's costing $1/2 billion. well anyway, off my soap box, the point is that STL has had MORE than their share of tax dollars and i just wish Kansas City would do some bitching in Jeff City to get some things done around here. Because i mean come on, KCMO's roads are just pitiful(minus bruce r watkins dr.- which happens to be in the freakin ghetto).
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

kcmajik wrote:Because i mean come on, KCMO's roads are just pitiful(minus bruce r watkins dr.- which happens to be in the freakin ghetto).
Bruce R. Watkins Drive has spurred some minor development between Bannister Road and Gregory which should be beneficial to that area. I thought I seen some construction project goin' on near Pleasant Valley off of northland I-35 a few months back? Anyhow, I'm glad development along our section of I-70 is finally comin' around on both sides of the state line. I always felt like I was approaching a large city miles before reaching St. Louis (as far out as Warrenton). In KC, I-70 seemed like a quick buzz through a boring suburban section (and a big cowtown) starting at I-470 and ending at I-635. All that is changing with new hotels, restaurants, offices and retail popping up along the interstate in Eastern Jack and Western Dot.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

True. On the way to S.t. Louis I always like to see the development in eastern Jack, and I-70 is where all the development is in St. Louis. Coming back for Christmas, I was surprised at how close Topeka and Lawrence were getting to each other. A little more of that and I-70 will make us look like a major metropolis.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I-35 through the SE corner of KCK will be completly rebuilt starting this construction season. Just a heads up for those of you who don't know about it, it will be a mess.
Anthony
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Anthony »

I hear that also I-635 construction will start soon and they are also finishing i-70 though KCK over the summer. I guess the whole city will be blocked off from the highway for a few months.
100% Kansas Citian
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

So what are they doing to it? Just a re-surface? It seems like that stretch is always bumpy. Are they adding any lanes?
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

KC wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 194860.htm

Looks like a pain in the ass for JoCo to downtown commuters. Grid has another thread about it in here
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 194860.htm

Nightmare looms on I-35

By STEVE PENN

Columnist

It's just a suggestion.

But if you frequently drive Interstate 35 to downtown Kansas City, you may want to buy a briefcase full of CDs with soothing music. Either that or find a map that shows alternative routes.

When it comes to I-35 near Kansas City, Kan., traffic is about to crawl bumper-to-bumper. I'm talking about lanes being shut down, orange barrels everywhere and delays, delays, delays.

I wondered why all the bulldozers were busy plowing dirt and debris near Turkey Creek the other day.

Not one but two massive projects are set to begin construction near there soon. I've conferred with each agency involved, and I predict these delays could make the tie-ups along the Grandview Triangle seem like race day at the Kansas Speedway.

I'm all for the work, which will benefit motorists as well as Kansas City, Kan., and Kansas City.

These last few weeks, the Unified Government of Wyandotte County has been busy relocating a massive sanitary sewer main that runs along Turkey Creek. The new main, which should be in place by late April, is being moved to make way for the first phase of flood control improvements.

I hear your collective applause. After you hear what's next, I'll wait for your collective groans.

Starting in June, I-35 near Seventh Street Trafficway will be the focus of a $40 million improvement project. The three lanes in each direction will be completely removed and replaced. A new barrier between oncoming traffic and a wider emergency lane will be constructed. The entire project will take about two years. The exits to and from Seventh Street Trafficway will be completely reconfigured and modernized.

“When we're done, it will be similar to what already exists at the 18th Street Expressway exit,â€
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCforumer wrote:The entire project will take about two years.
Sucks for me! Looks like I'll be goin' downtown again when KC Live opens in 2006.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

635 to I-70 and then east is an easy route.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCforumer wrote:635 to I-70 and then east is an easy route.
Would be an easy route, if They weren't doing construction of I635 at I70 this summer as well. Basically bringing it down to 2 lanes each way. Last year you couldn't get on I70 from I635 because of the construction. They are repairing a whole bridge forcing all traffic on the other one. I had to use the 18th street expressway to get to I35. It was a mess, but nowhere near as big a mess as this year.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Jumping over to Ward Parkway might not be a bad idea.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I HATED dealing with JoCo commuters booking down Wornall and Ward Parkway when I lived in the Brookside/Waldo area.

Go over and take 71, nothing like mixing the Leawood BMWs (on the phone and in a hurry) and East side time killers (can't see over the dash, slow and have a $2000 stereo in a $200 car) together. ;).
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

DeadManWalking wrote:
KCforumer wrote:635 to I-70 and then east is an easy route.
Would be an easy route, if They weren't doing construction of I635 at I70 this summer as well. Basically bringing it down to 2 lanes each way. Last year you couldn't get on I70 from I635 because of the construction. They are repairing a whole bridge forcing all traffic on the other one. I had to use the 18th street expressway to get to I35. It was a mess, but nowhere near as big a mess as this year.
That sucks. I thought the construction in that area was finished completely.

Well, I-35 to 18th St to I-70. Or Ward Parkway. Or 435 to 71, like GRID said.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

GRID wrote:I HATED dealing with JoCo commuters booking down Wornall and Ward Parkway when I lived in the Brookside/Waldo area.

Go over and take 71, nothing like mixing the Leawood BMWs (on the phone and in a hurry) and East side time killers (can't see over the dash, slow and have a $2000 stereo in a $200 car) together. ;).
Can anything be done to slow traffic along Ward Parkway, Wornall, and Brookside? 50 MPH traffic is intimidating to pedestrians and is truly dangerous. :(
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCforumer wrote:
That sucks. I thought the construction in that area was finished completely.

Well, I-35 to 18th St to I-70. Or Ward Parkway. Or 435 to 71, like GRID said.
No, they finished one side, then took a break for winter. Now its on the verge of spring and they are ready to start again.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Yeah, I thought the only construction this year on 635 is the northern part, from about Parallel Parkway to the Missouri River. I didn't realize more construction is going to happen at I-70 and I-635, that sucks!
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

You know what's bad? I recently brought a friend from Dallas up to KC and he complained that the whole city was under construction. Please don't tell me we're as bad as them now.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

It seems like there isn't a single route you can take anywhere without the construction. I435 from the Kaw River to 87th Street in Lenexa is under construction now too.

KCK IS BACK!!!!